In this shloka, pathogenesis of eye disease (netra roga) is explained.
Due to the unhealthy dietary and lifestyle habits, the Vata dosha gets pursued in the blood vessels and gets accumulated in the upper part of the head causes severe pain in the eyes and its other parts.
(Reference: Sushruta Samhita (uttar tantra) Chapter-1 and shloka-20)
As Per Ayurveda Aspect
According to Ayurveda, this disease is referred to as Netra shleshma Aavaran peetdaag. In this disease, the Kapha dosha along with pitta dosha gets accumulated in the eyes resulting in the formation of yellowish colored wedge-shaped abnormal growth (peeta daag) in the eyes.
As Per Modern Aspect
Pinguecula is a common condition which causes degeneration in conjunctivitis. It is a wedge-shaped growth of abnormal conjunctival tissue that forms on the eyes. These cells are benign (non-cancerous) and relatively harmless. These cells may not extend onto the cornea (the clear front window of the eye).
What are the Causes of Pinguecula?
The main cause is the certain sun exposure-UV light. Individuals who live in dry, hot, sunny regions and spend a lot of time outdoors have a higher risk of developing pinguecula. It occurs between the age of 20 and 50. It may also be caused due to the various environmental factors such as dust, climate, etc.
What are the Signs of Pinguecula?
- Conjunctiva is elevated and less transparent than the normal conjunctive
- White to yellow in color
- Fat like appearance
- Calcification present (sometimes)
- Inflammation causes mild ocular irritation
What are the Symptoms of Pinguecula?
- In this condition, there is a creamy colored or chalky growth in the white part of the eye between the eyelids. It normally occurs in the corner of the eye, near the nose and it can also affect one or both eyes. It causes irritation in the eyes and causes difficulty in wearing contact lenses. This cannot grow across the cornea and thus it will not affect the vision. In some of the cases, a pinguecula can become a pterygium which involves the cornea.
- There is a degeneration of collagen fibers of the conjunctival stroma with this, there is a thinning of the overlying epithelium and sometimes calcification. Actinic exposure to the thin conjunctival tissues causes fibroblasts to produce more elastin fibers which are more twisted than the normal fibers. This may lead to the degeneration of the collagen fibers.
Natural Treatment for Pinguecula by Planet Ayurveda
1. Amalaki Rasayan
Amalaki Rasayan is an Ayurvedic classical formulation used as an aphrodisiac, immuno-modulatory, anti-oxidant and rejuvenative. It is beneficial for eyes, brain, heart, skin, liver, and hair and improves the functioning and health of these. organs. It has an anti-oxidant property and rich in vitamin C which fights against free radicals and reduces the signs of aging by its rejuvenating property. It also reduces blurred vision, burning sensation in eyes, eyes strain and fatigue, irritation in the eyes and double vision.
Dosage: 1 capsule two times a day with plain water after meals.
2. Angel Eye Vitale
Angel eye Vitale of Planet Ayurveda is an herbal cream formulated as per the principles of Ayurveda. The ingredients used in it are extracts of natural plants which release the natural aroma and have soothing effects on the skin. The ingredients used in it are grape seed oil, almond oil, vitamin E oil, and pure tea. It maintains as well as restores the skin elasticity and supplies moisture to dry parts of the eyes thus helpful in keeping the eyes hydrated. It also helps in repairing cells and provides nourishment to the skin.
- Grapes Seed Oil
This oil has the property to lighten the dark circles and contains vitamin E which is commonly found in eye creams because it is very effective and helpful in fading the dark circles.
- Almond Oil
Almond oil has the property to lighten the dark circles and reduces the symptom of eye puffiness. Almonds have antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties. It contains vitamin E and K, retinol which maintains the delicacy of the skin along with smoothness without any irritation.
- Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil has the property to fight against free radicals. These may lead to the signs of aging like wrinkles. Use of vitamin E oil by massaging directly on the dark circles helps to enlighten and increasing the moisture content which also removes the dryness.
- Pure Tea
Tea has the property to reduce the swelling as well as tighten the skin around the eyes. It contains caffeine which reduces the puffiness by shrinking the blood vessels and works on the dark circles by decreasing the dilation of the blood vessels under the eyes.
3. Kanchnaar Guggul
Kanchnaar guggul is also known as Kanchnaar Guggulu. This Ayurvedic formulation is useful in treating uterine polyp, thyroid disorders, fistula, swelling, lymph nodes swelling or any other abnormal growth in the body. It supports the proper functioning of the lymphatics and eliminates the toxins from the body. The main ingredients used in kanchnaar guggul are kachnaar and guggul. The other herbs used in it are haritaki, bibhitaki, and Amlaki, sonth, and pippali. All these herbs are useful in detoxifying the whole system and improve the penetration of medicines into the cells.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Swaran Bhasma
Swaran bhasma is one of the main powered Ayurvedic formulations which is made from pure metals or minerals. Healing with these metals is one of the ancient therapies used to treat various health problems It also helps to treat various health problems like infertility, respiratory problems, etc. As mentioned in Ayurveda texts-if any person takes gold bhasma for a longer period then the poison cannot harm him as similar to a water drop that cannot touch the leaf of the lotus.
Dosage: 2 tablets times a day with plain water after meals.
Some Preventing Tips
- Wear sunglasses when you are outside
- Wear sunglasses that have a coating which blocks the sun’s ultraviolet A rays and ultraviolet B rays. It can help to protect the eyes from wind and outdoor elements like sand, dust, etc.
- Keep the eyes moisturized with artificial tears that might help to prevent pinguecula.
- Wear protective eyewear when working in a dusty environment.