The female reproductive system is a delicate and complicated system which requires proper balance for a healthy well being of a female and to provide a proper bed for the fertilisation and a healthy nest for the implantation of the foetus. Because of many reasons, the normal functioning of the female reproductive system gets hindered, which leads to a variety of female health disorders. One of the most common disorders of the female reproductive system is endometriosis. The inner lining of the uterus is known as endometrium. It is composed of mucosal tissue. It is shed every month known as menstrual bleeding or periods. Sometimes this endometrium builds up out of the uterus, which is known as endometriosis. It is such a common and painful condition that a famous American writer, director, actress, and producer Lena Dunham also suffered from the same and she finally chose hysterectomy after a decade long fighting the condition of endometriosis and pain. This can further be divided into endometriosis externa and endometriosis interna depending on the site where endometrium builds up. There are various reasons that can lead to the conditions of endometriosis. In the following text we shall discuss endometriosis, it causes and its management. Let’s get some details of Endometriosis !!
Endometriosis is a condition in which functional endometrium is present at sites other than uterine mucosa. Usually it is not a neoplastic condition, but malignant transformation is possible. When the endometrium mucosa is found in the muscle layer of the uterus then it is called endometriosis interna and when the endometrium is found outside the uterus then it is known as endometriosis externa. There are various theories postulated about the causes that lead to the condition of endometriosis. In Ayurveda the condition is correlated with tridosha imbalance particularly kapha and rakta vitiation. Kapha vitiation leads to vayu marga hindrance that further leads to vata vitiation and also vitiates pitta dosha gradually.
- Endometriosis has unknown aetiology
- Retrograde menstruation is a theory that suggests that instead of flowing out of the body, menstrual blood flows upwards into the fallopian tubes.
- Another theory suggests that hormones are the reason that lead to the condition of endometriosis
- Another theory suggests that the endometrial cells go from one place to another through the lymphatic system.
- Immune system dysfunction is another theory that has been postulated.
- Mullerian theory says that endometriosis might start with misplaced tissue cells in the foetal period, which start to grow when puberty hits.
- The condition of endometriosis can also have links to the genetics and toxins present in the environment.
- Extra abdominal
These can include structures below the umbilicus. Common structures that can be involved are ovaries, pouch of douglas, broad ligament,rectovaginal septum, rectum, uterosacral ligament and pelvic lymph nodes. Sites that are rarely involved include appendix.
2. Extra abdominal
Abdominal scars of caesarean section, tubectomy, myomectomy, episiotomy, vagina etc.
The sites include pleura, thighs, lungs and deep tissues of arms.
Clinical features of Endometriosis :
- The patient’s age is usually between 30 to 45.
- Patients are mostly nulliparous or may have 2 to 3 children long back.
- A family history is often present in endometriosis patients.
- Infertility, at voluntary postponement of first conception till at late age are also considered leading causes of endometriosis.
- Dysmenorrhoea : pain starts a few days prior to menstruation which worsens during menses and takes a long time to get relief even after cessation of period. The pain is usually felt on the back and rectum and is usually deep seated.
- Infertility : it is not clear whether infertility causes endometriosis or endometriosis causes infertility. Though patients who suffer from infertility because of endometriosis are 40 to 60 percent.
- Dysapareunia : pain during sexulintercourse can be due to stretching of the pouch of douglas or other adjacent structure. The pain is usually deep.
- Pelvic pain : the cause can be due to multiple factors. The pain can be of various types including pelvic discomfort, backache or lower abdominal pain. The pain aggravated during periods.
- Other symptoms may present with the structure associated with : like dysuria, hematuria, painful defecation, rectal bleeding, malena etc.
- Clinical diagnosis can be made by abdominal and pelvic examination. Further it can be diagnosed by classic symptoms of dyspareunia, infertility and increasing secondary dysmenorrhoea.
- Confirmation is made by double puncture laparoscopy or laparotomy. ‘Matchstick’ spots on the peritoneum of the pouch of douglas.
- Biopsy confirmation is useful for doubtful lesions.
- Avoiding tubal patency test after curettage or around menstruation.
- Married women with endometriosis in the family should complete the family and avoid late conception.
- Forcible pelvic examination around the time of menstruation should be avoided.
- Non steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines to relieve pain.
- Hormonal therapy aimed at inducing atrophy of the endometriotic implants. It should be considered suppressive rather than curative. It includes progesterone, danazol, gestrinone, GnRH analogues, combined oestrogen progestogen. The drugs creates artificial menopause, artificial pregnancy and medical castration. All the medications stop the progression of endometrium.
It is usually done by laparoscopy, the surgery includes destruction of the peritoneal lesions by diathermy destruction or laser vaporisation.
Radical surgery means hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy along with resection of endometrial tissues.
- Cancer – ovarian cancer or endometriosis-associated adenocarcinoma.
- Anxiety or depression due the disease
Herbal Remedies for Endometriosis by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a renowned GMP certified, ISO 9001:2015 certified and US-FDA registered Ayurvedic Company, which adhered to the aim of manufacturing quality Ayurvedic formulations as described in the various ancient texts of Ayurveda. Products are manufactured without additives and preservatives and other kinds of chemicals or artificial flavouring substances which causes many side effects on the human body. Products prepared at Planet Ayurveda are pure and devoid of any kind of adulteration. Planet Ayurveda presents Endometriosis Care Pack, which is a miracle to endometriosis patients.
Endometriosis Care Pack includes Following Products
- Female Health Support
- Aloe Vitals
- Pradrantak Churna
- Shatavari Capsules
- Boswellia Curcumin
1. Female Health Support
As the name of the product suggests, the capsules support female health because they contain herbs that are beneficial to improve the reproductive health of a woman. It is beneficial in regulating reproductive health that is required for a healthy pregnancy. The formulation is a blend of ashok (Saraca indica), shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) and lodhra (Symplocos racemosa). All the herbs establish a healthy endometrium in the uterus.
Dosage : 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
2. Aloe Vitals
Aloe Vitals contain the herb kumari (Aloe barbadensis). It is beneficial in proper build up of endometrium. Kumari checks the menstrual cycle. It is named Kumari as it is beneficial in the female health. It balances the female reproductive hormones which regulate the menstrual cycle and other reproductive functions.
Dosage : 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
3. Pradrantak Churna
Pradrantak Churna is helpful in menstruation. The formulation also regulates proper menstruation thus avoiding abnormal retrograde flow of menstrual blood. The pradrantak churna contains lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), ashok (Saraca indica), arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) and udumbar (Ficus glomerata). The formulation strengthens the uterine muscle thus prevents endometriosis from transmission. It also regulates ovarian functions. Therefore it is helpful in the condition of endometriosis.
Dosage : One teaspoon twice with warm water after meals.
4. Shatavari Capsules
Shatavari capsules contain the standardised extract of shatavari (Asparagus racemosus). The herb is known to regulate hormones. It is beneficial in female health which is generally related to menstruation and ovulation. It is helpful in maintaining a healthy pregnancy. It supports overall female health.
Dosage : 1 to 2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
5. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia Curcumin capsules are enriched with properties of shallaki (Boswellia aristata) and haridra (Curcuma longa). The herbs have healing properties and also possess analgesic effects. Furthermore, Boswellia Curcumin capsules are also beneficial in cleansing blood which helps in endometriosis. The capsules also help in alleviating pain due to endometriosis. It also clears the uterus after menstruation.
Dosage : 1 capsule twice daily, after meals with plain water.
Endometriosis is a painful condition and it can also lead to various and serious complications. And the only permanent solution in the contemporary medicine system is hysterectomy and suppressive management through the medicines that induce pseudopregnancy and pseudomenopause and medical castration. Both of the procedure side effects and hence do not cure the condition of endometriosis. As in the case of Lena Dunham, she suffered from the immense pain and at the end she chose hysterectomy at the age of 31. This is disturbing. But there is a way to treat endometriosis and maintain proper wellness of a female. Planet Ayurveda’s Endometriosis Care Pack is a wonderful bundle of products that are purely made from the natural herbs. The endometriosis care pack provides relief from the excessive pain of the endometriosis condition. It also cures the condition and also prevents it from further transmission. In addition to this, the products in the pack also provide relief from the other various disorders of females.