Gastritis is a condition in which the stomach lining mucosa becomes inflamed, or swollen. Basically, stomach lining contains the glands that produce an acid and an enzyme called pepsin. The pepsin breaks down food and pepsin digests protein. A thick layer of mucus hides the stomach lining and helps prevent the acidic digestive juice from softening the stomach tissue. When the stomach lining is gets inflamed, it produces less acid and fewer enzymes and ultimately stomach lining produces less mucus and other substances which normally protect the stomach lining from acidic digestive juices. Sometimes this condition is normal, but in the chronic condition, it is long lasting for many days.
There are many things which can increase the risk of gastritis. The symptoms of gastritis may vary from person to person. Gastritis has many causes, including infection with the same bacteria that causes most stomach ulcers.
Erosive and Non-erosive gastritis: Erosive gastritis causes the erosion of the stomach lining and shallow breaks in the stomach lining. It also causes deep sores in the stomach lining. On the other hand, non-erosive gastritis causes mainly inflammation in the stomach.
Acute and chronic gastritis: Acute gastritis is a sudden swelling or inflammation in the lining of the stomach. It can cause severe pain. However, the pain is temporary and usually lasts for a short time. The main reason behind it is an injury, bacterial infection, and alcohol. Chronic gastritis is the severe condition of gastritis in which it causes metaplasia or dysplasia.
Causes of Gastritis
- Helicobacter pylori infection: It is the type of bacteria which enter your body and live in your digestive tract. It mainly disturbs the stomach lining by causing sores and ulcer. Mainly contaminated water, Food transfer this bacteria into your body.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol may also cause stomach disturbance, and weaken the stomach lining.
- Regular use of painkillers such as NSAIDs. It is an anti-inflammatory drug, but this also increases the secretion of acidic gastric juices in the stomach.
- Excessive stress to the stomach due to a major injury or surgery or severe infection.
- Infection due to some fungus, virus, and bacteria.
- Bile reflux is also one of the reasons for gastritis.
Symptoms of Gastritis
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Blood in vomit
Home Remedies of Gastritis
Ginger has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which help to provide relief from gastritis. It can reduce stomach inflammation, stomach pain, gas, nausea, indigestion and bloating. So mainly it shows the very good effect on gastritis.
- Take some amount of chopped ginger and put them in 1 cup of water.
- Boil this solution for 5 minutes and after that strain, rest it for 10 minutes.
- Add one tablespoon of honey to it for better taste.
- You can also chew a small piece of fresh ginger root daily to treat gastritis.
- You should take this drink before your meal.
It is one of the most ancient medicinal herbs which have been used in Ayurveda. The tea is made with the dried flower of chamomile. It can soothe your stomach, provide relief from sudden abdomen pain, bloating and gas problem. Due to its anti-inflammatory property, it reduces the stomach inflammation and also reduces the risk of ulcer.
- Take one cup of hot water and add 1-2 dried chamomile flower to it.
- Cover it and rest it for 5-10 minutes.
- Drink it 2 times a day to reduce the symptom of gastritis.
This herb has very good antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and antioxidant property. With the help of these properties peppermint cure nausea, indigestion, heartburn, and inflammation in the inner lining of the stomach. The components such as carvacrol, thymol, and menthol help to expel gas from the intestine.
- Take 3-4 leaves of peppermint and chew them.
- You can simply add them to your soup, smoothies, and salad.
- This will help to soothe your stomach.
4. Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
Ajwain is very beneficial, according to health and medical aspects. It has a pungent taste and bitter undertone. It cures the stomach mucous membrane from acidity and hyperacidity. These are natural antacid which shows its great effect during gastritis. Ajwain balances the three doshas of Ayurveda and makes the proper balance of vata, pitta, and kapha.
- Take one glass of buttermilk, add one tablespoon of carom seeds powder, ½ tablespoon of black salt, and mix it well.
- Drink it two times a day.
- You can also add one tablespoon of carom seeds powder into boiling water, strain it and cool down for 10 minutes.
- Drink this two times a day.
5. Holy Basil
Gastritis is of two types which are acute and chronic, holy basil is very effective to cure the symptoms of acute gastritis. Due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, it reduces the inflammation and protects your stomach from H.pylori infection, reduces symptoms such as stomach pain, heartburn, and indigestion.
- Mix one tablespoon each of holy basil juice and ginger juice, mix it and drink this two times in a day for better results.
- You can also chew 2-3 eaves of holy basil because it can also provide relief from stomach disturbance.
6. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are an effective aid to digestion. It helps to provide the soothing effect to gastrointestinal muscles and cure muscle spasms caused by IBS, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. It also contains anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties due to which it is very effective to treat the symptoms like intestinal pain, indigestion, heartburn and bloating.
- Take one glass of hot water and add one teaspoon of fennel seeds to it.
- Cover it and steep for 10 mints.
- After that strain, add 3-4 drops of raw honey and drink it 2 times a day.
These are also very effective during gastritis. Strawberries have an antioxidant property, which protects the body cells from free radical damage. It also contains very high content of phenolic compounds. Some of the studies show that strawberries can cure the damage of stomach lining caused by excessive consumption of alcohol and reduce the inflammation of the stomach lining.
- Take some strawberries and put them into the juicer.
- Strain the juice and drink it.
- You should add this juice to your daily routine.
- This will help you to prevent gastritis.