Systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis is a type of juvenile idiopathic arthritis, which is a group of disorders which causes arthritis, stiffness and swollen joints in children. Arthritis is a common disorder which affects joints and makes it difficult to move or stay active. It can occur at any age and usually affects older adults, men, women and children. In arthritis it mainly affects your joints which involves inflammation and degeneration of the joints. It can be most commonly seen in the following areas such as hands, feet, lower back and in knees. Joints support the soft tissues which prevent the bones from rubbing against each other. Joints have synovial membrane is a padded pocket of fluid which lubricates the joints. Tendons connect muscle to bones, whereas ligaments connect bones to bones. It is common in 50 million adults and 300,000 children in any form of arthritis. There are different types of arthritis which includes- Osteoarthritis, autoimmune arthritis (Rheumatoid arthritis), Juvenile arthritis and Gout. In this article we are going to study in detail about Systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis, its causes, symptoms and its ayurvedic management.
Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) is the most common type of arthritis which affects kids and teens. About 10% to 20% of children with JIA have a serious and rare subtype known as systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis (SJIA). Systemic means it does not affect only joints but it affects the whole other parts of the body including liver, lungs and heart so known as Still’s disease. It involves various chronic disorders which involve inflammation of joints and other parts of the body besides joints. It is slightly more common in girls and it is autoimmune, non infective and inflammatory joint disease. It usually persists for six weeks and in some children it is a lifelong condition and can continue to adulthood.
- JIA (Juvenile idiopathic arthritis) isn’t diagnosed easily or quickly.
- There are many different types of JIA (Juvenile idiopathic arthritis) which affects children and teenagers such as Systemic arthritis, Oligoarthrtis, Psoriatic arthritis.
- The cause of JIA (Juvenile idiopathic arthritis) is unknown
- JIA (juvenile idiopathic arthritis) is different from rheumatoid arthritis.
- There is no cure for Juvenile idiopathic arthritis but in children it can achieve remission.
TYPES OF JUVENILE IDIOPATHIC ARTHRITIS (JIA)
- Oligoarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis- It is the most common and mildest form which affects the fewer joints. It is persistent if the symptoms continue for 6 months and longer. Commonly affects joints of knee and ankles. A form of eye inflammation known as long lasting uveitis which is seen in children in the form of JIA.
- Polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis-rheumatoid factor negative- It is the second most common type which affects joints in the first 6 months.
- Polyarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis- rheumatoid factor positive- It tends to occur in teenage girls and is a marker for autoimmune disease denoting them positive.
- Enthesitis related juvenile idiopathic arthritis– This is the form of JIA which involves both arthritis and enthesitis. Enthesitits is the inflammation of the ligament or tendons attached to a bone, the most common location of enthesitis is knees, ankles and bottom of feet.
- Psoriatic juvenile idiopathic arthritis- Children with psoriasis a type of skin condition which further causes inflammation of the joints such as pitted fingernails, dactylitis are the common sign of the disease.
- The main cause for SJIA is not known, it is idiopathic. But in most of the cases it is due to adaptive immune response becoming overactive and it attacks its own cells and tissues.
- In kids SJIA has high blood levels of two inflammatory proteins (cytokines) called interleukin-1 and interleukin-6. They cause inflammation and are believed to trigger the inflammation in SJIA.
- In Systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis it affects the whole system in child-
- Macrophage activation syndrome
- Lung and heart problem- it causes pulmonary artery hypertension as it affects the right side of the heart and affects arteries in the lungs. Lung becomes scarred which makes it hardens so it makes it difficult to make oxygen into the bloodstream.
- Bones and joints- There is inflammation which slowly damages the joints making it difficult to function and sometimes affecting the jaw joint leads to smaller chin in children.
- High blood pressure- Due to atherosclerosis that is build up of fatty deposits on the walls of arteries and makes it difficult to pump harder.
- Rashes (white to pink coloured on trunk and upper lower limbs)
- Joint pain
- Swelling in the lining of the heart and lungs
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Feeling of discomfort
- MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging)
- ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate)
- C-reactive protein
- Antinuclear antibody
- Rheumatoid factor
- CCP (Cyclic citrullinated peptide)
- Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS)
- Oral or IV Corticosteroids
- DMARD’S (Disease modifying antirheumatic drugs)
- Biologics agents which include tumour necrosis factor (TNF) blockers such as Infliximab, adalimumab.
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
In ayurveda it is due to production of excessive vata dosha and due to aam dosha. The production of Aam doshas (accumulation of toxic ingredients) reduces the digestive activity and obstructs the expulsion of foreign substances from the body, which results in joint and systemic symptoms. Aam is the immature essence which is found in the stomach due to ajeerna (indigestion). When this essence moves to the circulation in immature form, tissues can’t metabolise and block the channels of nutrition and lead to multiple damage to tissues. Due to plenty of aam in the body, vayu gets pushed into the shleshma sthana (sites of kapha) the bony joints and muscles. This aam enters circulation and is associated by morbid pitta and destroys the tissues which causes low back ache, pelvis, hip stiffness with severe pain.
- Viruddha ahara (unwholesome diet)
- Viruddha chesta (unwholesome lifestyle practice)
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Consuming oily, high caloric diet
- Pain in the body parts
- Swelling in various body parts
When this disease get spread to the joints and organs leads to various multiple tissue and organ damage
- Lack of enthusiasm
- Hardness of the abdomen
- Sleep disturbances
- Burning sensation
- Painful swelling in joints, pada (foot), shira (head and neck), janu (knee), uru (hip)
- Excessive salivation
- Langhana (fasting)
- Swedana (fomentation)
- Virechana (purgation)
- Vasti (enema)
- Abhyanga (massage)
- Swedana (steaming treatments)
- Upanaha (poultices)
- Dhara (pouring of medicated oil such as dhanyamla dhara)
- Hot water
- Bitter gourd
- Red rice
- Pointed gourd
- Contaminated water
- Unconducive food
- Irregular eating habit
- Food which is heavy to digest
- Food that causes blockage in the tissues and channels of the body
- Habit of awakening throughout the night
HERBS USEFUL FOR SYSTEMIC JUVENILE IDIOPATHIC ARTHRITIS
- Shallaki-Shellaki (Boswellia serrata) is a famous ayurvedic herb which is useful in the treatment of osteoarthritis and muscular pain. It is also helpful in the treatment of cancer. Helps to balance the pitta and kapha doshas, has cool (sheet) veerya. Shallaki is used in various skin diseases, cleanses the wound.
- Nirgundi- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo) is a very good muscle relaxant that has the property of anti anxiety, anti asthma. Help to balance the vata and kapha disorders, has hot potency and undergo pungent taste after digestion. It is useful in various skin diseases, eczema, abdominal tumours and helps to improve the quality of hair. Fumes of nirgundi are helpful in getting rid of mosquitoes, improves memory, useful in asthma and bronchitis.
- Pippali – Pippali (Piper longum) is a unique spice which is useful in indigestion, asthma and in coughing. It helps to balance vata and kapha doshas with its hot potency and acts as an anti ageing, useful in skin disease and abdominal tumour. Pippali helps to relieve the chronic lung disorder and tuberculosis, it is very effective in promoting digestion. Relieves piles, haemorrhoids and is helpful in diabetes.
- Methi- Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum) helps to improve digestion, anorexia and diabetes. Treats arthritis, bronchitis and in male potency, hormonal disorders and in type 2 diabetes. Useful in treating vata disorders such as in paralysis, constipation and in various bleeding disorders, reduces the cholesterol level so also useful in obesity. Methi shows good results in relieving abdominal colic pain.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA FOR SYSTEMIC JUVENILE IDIOPATHIC ARTHRITIS
Planet ayurveda is the globally leading GMP certified manufacturing unit which formulates the herbal and herbomineral preparations with strict adherence to the ayurvedic texts and preparation. The products made here are obtained from 100% pure plant based. It is made under the strict supervision of an expert ayurvedic physician. These formulations provide great relief to patients without causing any side effects.
- RUMOGIN 5 CAPSULES
- ASHWAGANDHA CAPSULES
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
- YOGRAJ GUGGUL
1. RumoGin 5 Capsules
Rumogin 5 Capsules is polyherbal formulation prepared by planet ayurveda using various ingredients such as Haridra (Curcuma longa), Maricha (Piper nigrum) and many more. These capsules help to maintain the healthy joints and healthy skeletal system. It helps to detoxify the body and has both anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties which is helpful in juvenile arthritis. Helps to improve joint lubrication, increases the flexibility of joints and rejuvenates the joints naturally
Dosage– 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Ashwagandha Capsules
Ashwagandha Capsules are single herbal capsules made by planet Ayurveda using standerdised extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). These capsules have medhya and rasayana properties. It helps to balance tridoshas and pacify the vata and kapha dosha. This herb acts as a best strength enhancer and as nerve tonic. It helps to boost up the immunity and acts as a good antioxidant which promotes cardiac health. These capsules effectively relieve stress, depression and help to improve the quality of sleep.
Dosage– 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia Curcumin are polyherbal formulations in the form of a capsule made by planet Ayurveda using ingredients such as Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Curcumin (Curcuma longa), etc. These both herbs have anti-inflammatory properties so help to relieve pain and act as antioxidants which help in scavenging the free radicals to promote the health of joints and provide immune support. Both herbs are useful in managing juvenile arthritis.
Dosage – 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Yograj Guggul
Yograj Guggul is herbal tablet formulation prepared by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Musta (Cyperus rotundus), Pippali (Piper longum) and many more. These tablets are helpful in maintaining good digestion by stimulating the digestive fire and detoxifying the aam (endotoxins) out of the body to maintain good and proper digestion. As guggul is the best vata shamak and anti-inflammatory agent so helpful in arthritis conditions.
Dosage– 1-2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.
CONTACT PLANET AYURVEDA TO PROVIDE YOU THE COSTING / ORDERING AND DELIVERY INFORMATION AT – COSTING.PLANETAYURVEDA@GMAIL.COM OR CALL AT +91-172-5214040
Systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis is a type of juvenile idiopathic arthritis, which is a group of disorders which causes arthritis, stiffness and swollen joints in children. Systemic means it does not affect only joints but it affects the whole other parts of the body including liver, lungs and heart so known as Still’s disease. It involves various chronic disorders which includes inflammation of joints and other parts of the body besides joints. In ayurveda it is due to production of excessive vata dosha and due to aam dosha, this aam enters circulation and is associated by morbid pitta and destroys the tissues which causes low back ache, pelvic and hip stiffness with severe pain. In this article we discussed pathya apathya which will provide great results along with herbal formulation which is prepared by planet ayurveda without causing any side effects.