Pyloric Stenosis is an uncommon condition in infants which blocks the food entering the small intestines. Stomach is a muscular organ that digests food and is part of the gastrointestinal tract. When the stomach receives food, it contracts and produces enzymes which further break down the food and pass to the small intestines. Stomach has 3 main functions that it temporarily stores the food, contracts and relaxes to mix the food which further produces enzymes and specialized cells to digest it. The stomach has 5 distinct sections- The cardia– top part of the stomach, contains cardiac sphincter prevents food from travelling back to esophagus, The fundus- rounded section below diaphragm, The body– largest part of the stomach which contracts and mix the food, The antrum- Lies below body send it to small intestines, The pylorus– Bottom part of stomach which include pyloric sphincter. In this article we will study in detail one condition of the pylorus that is Pyloric stenosis, its causes and ayurvedic management.
Pyloric Stenosis is a condition that usually affects the infant’s pylorus. It is the thickening of the pylorus, a muscle in the stomach. It is known as hypertrophic pyloric stenosis (HPS). It is commonly seen in babies during the time the baby is fed. Pylorus is the exit point of the stomach and the gateway to duodenum of the small intestine, it helps the stomach to hold food, liquids and acids which are digested and further absorbed. When the pylorus gets thickened and causes narrowing of the lumen this is known as pyloric stenosis.The lumen becomes so narrow that it hinders the blood flow from the stomach to the intestines. In pyloric stenosis the muscle starts to swell resulting in plugging of food between the intestines and makes it difficult for the child to swallow any kind of food. It can lead to forceful vomiting, dehydration and sudden weight loss, etc. This condition is very rare in adults and the first description of pyloric stenosis was in 1888 and carried out in 1912 by Conrad Ramstedt. Now further we will discuss this in detail.
Here are some facts about Pyloric Stenosis:
- Usually seen in 1-2 months old babies.
- Boys develop pyloric stenosis more often than girls.
- Caucasian babies seem to develop pyloric stenosis more frequently than babies of other races.
The gastric obstruction which is due to hypertrophic pyloric impairs the emptying of gastric contents into duodenum. The ingested food and gastric secretion exit via vomiting. Persistent vomiting results in loss of stomach acid (HCL) which does not contain bile because the pyloric obstruction prevents the entry of duodenal content into the stomach. The loss of chloride in low blood chloride levels impairs the ability of the kidney to excrete bicarbonates which leads to metabolic alkalosis. A secondary hyperaldosteronism develops due to low blood volume, high aldosterone levels cause the kidney to retain sodium and excrete large amounts of potassium into urine. The compensatory metabolic alkalosis is hyperventilation which results in arterial pCO2.
Following are the main causes considered in occurrence of Pyloric Stenosis:
- An autosomal dominant condition
- Intake of Certain antibiotics
- Acid in the first part of small intestines
- Taking too much alcohol and smoking during pregnancy.
- Taking medication like aspirin or cetirizine during pregnancy.
Pyloric stenosis usually appears within three to five weeks after birth, and is rare in babies older than 3 months. It includes various signs and symptoms-
- Vomiting after feeding- baby may vomit forcefully, ejects the breast milk.
- Persistent hunger
- Stomach contractions
- Changes in bowel movements
- Weight problem
- Abdominal pain
- Lump in the stomach
- More fussiness
Here are some risk factors that are more prone to Pyloric stenosis:
- Sex– It is common in boys especially first borne children.
- Race– It is common in white people than black people and rare in asians
- Premature birth
- Family history– It develops 20% in male descendants and 10% in female descendants
- Smoking during pregnancy
- Use of antibiotics in the first week of life as use of erythromycin to treat whooping cough which increases pyloric stenosis.
- Bottle feeding
Following diagnostic techniques can be used to diagnose Pyloric Stenosis most commonly
- Blood tests
- X – Ray
- Barium Swallow with upper GI series
- Pyloromyotomy (Ramstedt’s procedure)
- Intravenous and oral atropine
In this condition various causative factors are there but predominantly vata and kapha doshas are involved. This vitiation leads to agnimandya (week digestive fire), and formation of various endotoxins which leads to vitiation of microchannels which is associated with hypertrophy or hyperplasia of the muscular cells of the pylorus, which leads to obstruction and generate the reflux in the upper part of the stomach and forceful expulsion of undigested food due to vitiated vata, the vomitus known as Chardi and further involves the disturbance and pressure changes in vital points (marma) and results in colic pain.
HERBS USEFUL IN PYLORIC STENOSIS
- Shilajit- Shilajit (Asphaltum) is a resin kind of semisolid liquid, which acts as a rasayan which is used in the treatment of diabetes, asthma and in bodybuilding. Helps to promote the life expectancy which brings glow to the skin and acts as an aphrodisiac. Improves the nourishment of the body tissues which makes cells everlasting. Act as a catalyst which helps to break the blockages and rejuvenate the body tissues.
- Mustak- Mustak (Cyperus rotundus) is an ayurvedic herb which relieves fever, improves lactation and is used to treat burning sensation. It is used as a Deepaniya (an appetiser) and pachniya herb. It helps to balance kapha and pitta dosha, promotes the digestive fire and helps in wound healing. Used to treat many skin disorders and reduces the fat deposition helps to enhance the size of the breast, helpful in treating asthma and cough and pacifying the liver, spleen disorders.
- Vidanga- Vidanga (Embelia ribes) is a powerful anti parasitic herb which is used to treat worm infestation. Helps to balance kapha and vata doshas because of its hot potency. Vidanga is used in various disorders such as infectious skin disease, headache, relieves constipation and expels doshas from the body and dead worms out of the intestines.
- Vacha- Vacha (Acorus calamus) is very rich in medicinal values which helps to improve speech, intelligence and usually balances kapha and vata doshas. Usually has hot potency, which is useful in epilepsy, schizophrenia and relieves bloating, gaseous distension of the abdomen. It is helpful against psychological imbalances and treats obesity, induces delivery and is administered in dysmenorrhea.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA FOR PYLORIC STENOSIS
Planet Ayurveda is a GMP certified clinic which prepares their own herbal remedies and is helpful in almost all health conditions. The formulations are prepared under the strict guidance of M.D Ayurveda practitioners and are free from any preservatives, resins and other synthetic material. The remedies are 100% pure and without any side effects. For pyloric stenosis planet ayurveda provides following herbal remedies which will provide great relief to the patient.
- CHANDRAPRABHA VATI
- PITTA BALANCE
- AROGYAVARDHINI VATI
- KANCHNAAR GUGGUL
- DIGESTION SUPPORT
1. Chandraprabha Vati
Chandraprabha Vati is herbal tablet formulation which is prepared by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Shilajit (Asphaltum), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Chavya (Piper chaba), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale) and many more. These tablets are helpful in preventing the excess growth and removing the extra fluid which is accumulated in the cells, help to eliminate the toxins, strengthen the genitourinary system and prevent recurrent vomiting. Chandraprabha vati improves digestion and acts as vrishya (aphrodisiac), Rasayan (rejuvenation).
Dosage– 1-2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water after meals.
2. Pitta Balance
Pitta balance are polyherbal capsules made by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as JaharMohra Pishti (Natural Calcium Compound), Giloy Satva (Tinospora cordifolia), Akik Pishti (Natural Calcium Compound)and many more. These capsules help to calm down the aggravated pitta, excess hunger which will prevent further vomiting. Helps him with restless leg syndrome, anxiety, bleeding piles and restores the healthy skin which clears the complexion.
Dosage– 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Arogayavardhni Vati
Arogayavardhni Vati is herbal tablet formulation prepared by planet ayurveda using various ingredients such as Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica), Kutki (Picrorhiza kurroa) and many more. Kutki is one of the best antiemetic herbal drugs, which has a digestive stimulant property. This tablet is helpful to remove the toxins from the liver and clears the accumulated bile and is effective in liver cirrhosis, peptic disorders, relieves anemia, constipation and heart disease.
Dosage – 1-2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water after meals.
4. Kanchnaar Guggul
Kanchnaar Guggul is herbal tablet which is prepared by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata), Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Tejapatra (Cinnamomum tamala) and many more. It has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce and clear the obstruction and prevent the overgrowth of cells of pylorus. Kanchnaar Guggul is helpful in disorders such as in liver cyst, lipoma and in patients suffering from various skin diseases, fistula, thyroid and from obesity.
Dosage– 1-2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.
5. Digestion Support
Digestion support are polyherbal formulation in the form of capsules which is made by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Amla (Emblica officinalis), Dhania (Coriander sativum), Jeerak (Cyminum cuminum) and many more. This capsule has Amla as its constituent which helps to rejuvenate the body and relieves heat, constipation as it acts as a laxative. Jeerak as primary constituent which helps to relieve the abdominal pain which occurs due to gas and flatulence.
Dosage– 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
CONTACT PLANET AYURVEDA TO PROVIDE YOU THE COSTING / ORDERING AND DELIVERY INFORMATION AT – COSTING.PLANETAYURVEDA@GMAIL.COM OR CALL AT +91-172-5214040.
Pyloric Stenosis is an uncommon condition in infants which blocks the food entering the small intestines. Stomach is a muscular organ that digests food and is part of the gastrointestinal tract. It is known as hypertrophic pyloric stenosis (HPS). It is commonly seen in babies during the time the baby is fed. In this condition various causative factors are there but predominantly vata and kapha doshas. Many herbal remedies are discussed in the article which will provide great relief to the patients without causing any side effects and help to maintain a healthy and balanced life.