Your lymphatic system runs or spreads throughout your body in the same ways as the circulatory system. The main function of the lymphatic system is to fight against the various virus and bacterial infection. The lymphatic system includes thin tubes which are known as lymph vessels and lymphatic vessels, circulates to all parts of our body. It plays a major role in destroying old and abnormal cells in the body.
The lymph node is the small glands which clear the fluid that pass or circulated through the lymphatic system. Lymph nodes are found in the Groin, armpits, behind the ears, the neck and underneath the jaw. Swollen lymph nodes mainly occur due to infection of viruses and bacteria. It is the indication of abnormal functioning of the immune system due to which your body is unable to fight against the viral infection. This lymphatic system plays an important role in the immune system. The Lymph node mainly blocks the viruses, bacteria, or abnormal cells that pass through the lymph channel. The swollen lymph node is the indication that the lymphatic system is not working properly.
The gland in armpit known as an axillary lymph node. The injury or infection in hands or arms are the causes of these nodes to swell. When there is an injury in either side of the neck or any infection such as cold, and sore throat then it will lead to the formation of the swollen lymph node in the neck.
Symptoms of Swollen Lymph Node
- Swelling of lymph node
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased appetite
- The appearance of red patches of the skin over the swelled lymph node
- Hard lump or masses are felt under the skin in the swollen lymph node.
- Night sweat
- Weight loss
- A sore throat
- Running nose
- Feeling of fullness
Causes of Swollen Lymph Node
- Ear infection
- Viral infection
- Sinus infection
Natural Treatments for the Swollen Lymph Node
It’s a natural anti-bacterial, antiviral, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant agent. The anti-inflammatory property of the garlic can helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation in the lymph node. The antibiotic property of the garlic helps to cleanse the body and ease the symptoms of swelling lymph node.
- Eat a 2-3 clove of garlic daily with an empty stomach. You can also include garlic in your cooking as well.
- Put few drops of garlic oil in your hands and massage gently over the swollen area for 2-3 times in a day.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps us to prevent bacterial infection in the lymph node. Due to its acetic nature, it has many potent biological effects on our body and also helps to kill the harmful bacteria and viruses which further worsens swollen lymph infection. Apple cider vinegar maintains the PH level in the body.
- You can consume this by adding one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in one cup of Luke warm water.
- Add a few drops of honey to it and Drink it every morning before your meal with an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, you can mix ACV with water and with the help of cotton ball, apply it on your swollen lymph node area.
It’s a therapeutic herb which has been used for the treatment of many body ailments due to its great anti-inflammatory property. It helps to reduce the swelling in the lymph node and fight against the various infectious agent in the body. The herb contains a natural analgesic property which also helps to heal your body.
- You can mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with few drops of honey and make a paste.
- Apply this paste on swollen area and wait 10 minutes, after 10 minutes rinse off with warm water and do this twice daily for one week.
- Drink one glass of warm turmeric milk daily.
Honey is a good source of antioxidants called phenolic compounds which helps to prevent the free radical damages in the body. It has also anti-bacterial and antifungal properties which prevent the further swelling of lymph node due to viral infection. Honey has the ability to soothe a sore throat and tonsils.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey in one cup of warm water. Add few drops of lemon juice to it and mix well.
- Drink it two times a day for a week.
- You can also directly apply the few drops of raw honey on the swollen part, rest it for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off with plain water.
- Do this 2-3 times daily
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil is the rich source of an anti-inflammatory agent which reduces the swelling in the lymph node when rubbed over the infected area. This natural remedy improves the functioning of the lymph node by removing the toxins from the body. It also helps to improve the flow of lymph throughout the body.
- Apply cold compressed castor oil over the swollen area and rub it gently for 5 minutes.
- Put a warm compressor on the infected area for 5 minutes.
- Do this natural remedy 1-2 times a day.
6. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is an anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and especially effective in relieving swollen lymph node in the armpit. It contains several different types of fatty acids including caproic, caprylic, capric, myristic, and steric acid. Lauric acid is the main predominant acid in the coconut oil.
- You can simply massage the infected area with a few drops of coconut oil for 5-10 minutes.
- Do this daily for few weeks until you get relief from a swollen lymph node.
All the home remedies or natural treatments which are mentioned above are the best treatments for swollen lymph nodes. They reduce the inflammation and swelling in the lymph node and also provide relief from pain during the swollen lymph node.
- What are the symptoms of a swollen lymph node?
- What are the main causes for swollen lymph node?
- How does apple cider vinegar help to get rid of a swollen lymph node?
- How we can use garlic for the treatment of swollen lymph node?