Ayurveda is one of the most ancient medical system practiced in India. Charak Samhita and Sushrut Samhita are its main classics that contain detailed descriptions of about 700 herbs. These ancient textbooks have many herbs and formulations for the management of skin-related issues. Today, there is a preference for natural products and in recent years, there has been a great upsurge in the study of Indian herbs.
Ayurvedic tradition is rich with beauty and self-nurturing practices that are renowned for their practical elegance in balancing the body, mind, and spirit.
In ancient times, the use of cosmetics was not only done to enhance the external appearance but it was also used for achieving good health and longevity. There is evidence of highly advanced concepts of self-beautification in ancient India. Most of these practices were dependent on the Ritu (seasons).
The whole range of cosmetic usage was based totally on natural resources. Skin Care Products described in ancient literature consist of various formulations involving herbs and other natural ingredients. They were used for external applications in the form of oils, packs, powders, etc.
These Natural Remedies for beautiful and radiant skin are very much prized for their safe and holistic action.
What is the cause of Skin Disorders according to Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda, Skin, Pitta dosha and blood are inter-related. Skin disorders are due to the Pitta dosha imbalance. The impaired Pitta dosha causes vitiation of blood tissue which results in skin disorders. Pitta, particularly Bhrajak Pitta is responsible for maintaining healthy and lustrous skin. Therefore, in Ayurveda along with the external application, there is a category of Rakta Prasadaka and Shodhan herbs which are usually Tikta-Kashaya (bitter or astringent) in taste, laghu-sheet (light and cold) in quality.
Causes of Black Spots on the face are:
1. Excessive Sun Exposure
Spending too much time in the sun can cause the production of melanin which is the body’s response to protect the skin from harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
2. Hormonal Changes
Hormonal changes due to fluctuation of hormones such as estrogen and progesterone or going through menopause can cause uneven melanin production and exposure to sunlight activates the secretion of melanin in these spots which causes dark spots.
Scars caused due to pimples or any type of injury can also cause dark or black spots on the skin.
These causes are linked with the imbalance of Pitta dosha.
Qualities of Pitta dosha according to Ayurveda:
पित्तं सस्नेह तीक्ष्णोष्णं लघु विस्रं सरं द्रवम् ।
Meaning: Sasneha: lightly oily and unctuous, Teekshna: piercing, entering into deep tissues, Ushna: hot, Laghu: light, Visram: bad smell, Sara: having fluidity, Drava: liquidity.
Adopt safe and natural remedies for the removal of blemishes, black spots on the skin. Who would not wish for the spotless and glowing face? The spots ruin the beauty of the face. Staying in the sun for long periods can also cause black spots on the face because of the production of melanin pigment. Visiting doctors again and again or using chemical-based cosmetics can cause more harm to the skin. Instead of using the cosmetic treatment, use some herbal methods to get rid of spots and to beautify the skin. These natural remedies will give effective results in a short period of time. So, let’s know the natural methods to remove dark spots from the face.
1. Lemon Juice: Apply lemon juice on the black spots for 30 minutes and then wash face with fresh water. Lemon juice helps in removing dark spots. Use this remedy regularly for 2 months and you will see the results.
2. Strawberry: Make a paste of strawberry and apricot by mashing them and apply this paste on the black spots regularly. You can see the results after a few days. Wash the face after 15 minutes of application.
3. Rice and Watermelon: Grind raw rice and mix this powder with fresh watermelon juice to make a mask. Apply this mask on the face and wash the face with plain water after 15 minutes.
4. Papaya: For removing black spots, massage with the pulp of papaya and allow it to remain for 15-20 minutes. Then, wash the face with lukewarm water. It helps in making the face clean and glowing.
5. Aloe vera: Aloe vera acts as a panacea for the skin. The cream prepared from aloe vera gel can be applied on black spots and allow to remain on the face for 45 minutes. Use aloe vera for 1 month and you’ll see the difference.
6. Almonds: Almonds are really very beneficial for the skin. For removing dark spots, soak almonds in water or milk for 12 hours. Remove its peel and mash it. Mix these mash almonds with pure rose water and apply on the face.
7. Nutmeg: Grind nutmeg in raw milk and add 10 crushed black pepper seeds. Apply this mixture to the face for 2 hours. After 2 hours, wash the face with plain water. It helps in clearing acne and black spots. But, excessive use of this remedy is not recommended.
8. Castor Oil or Olive Oil: Applying castor oil on the face helps in clearing black spots. Olive Oil may also be used instead of castor oil.
9. Chandan (Sandalwood): Make a paste of sandalwood and apply it on the face. It helps in lightening the dark spots. Take sandalwood powder and mix it in rose water or milk. Apply this mixture for one hour and then wash with plain water.
In addition to these remedies, certain diet and lifestyle modifications are also important for radiant and glowing skin.
Diet and Lifestyle:
1. According to Ayurveda, mixing incompatible foods such as milk with fruits, honey with ghee should be avoided.
2. Combining milk with meat should be strictly avoided as non-vegetarian food such as fish, meat, etc. heat the system while milk cools it down. So, combining these contrasting foods obstruct the body channels.
3. Avoid cold drinks after meals: Avoid taking cold drinks or iced water after meals as these suppress the digestive juices and also cause stomach issues.
4. Consume fresh fruits and vegetables such as carrots, asparagus, cucumber are really beneficial for all types of skin.
The whole information has been concluded, if you want to get glowing and healthy skin naturally without any side effects, adopt the above home remedies.