Skin diseases are most common these days. Urban peoples are more affected than rural because of environmental changes or exposure to sunlight. Acharya charak mention kushta roga in charka chikitsa seven which conclude all types of skin diseases. Today we are going to discuss in detail about how Ayurveda deals with the patients of eczema and manage the condition with Ayurvedic herbs and herbal formulations.
Eczema is a skin disorder and a state which mostly affects the children. In this the skin got inflamed, rough, itchy and cracked that results in the formation of patches. Sometimes it leads their way to blisters. The symptoms vary according to the age. In infants it shows rashes on scalp, cheeks which bubble up before leaking fluid and cause itching that hampers the sleep. In children, rashes near the elbow, knees, neck, wrist, ankle, between buttock and legs. Rash may be bumpy, light or dark and there is thickening of skin which is known as lichenification. In adults, more scaly rashes on the nape of neck, elbow, knees and the skin become more dry and permanent itchy. Treatment may be done symptomatically in allopathic medicine science.
After knowing an overview, let’s know how Ayurveda deals with eczema
Ayurveda is an ancient medicine science. The disease is caused mainly due to vitiation or imbalance in tridosha. As we know eczema is a skin disorder so we can correlate eczema with vicharchika under kushta roga .
Acharya Charak Mentioned 18 Types of Kushta Roga.
Definition of Vicharchika (eczema)
The above mentioned shloka state that itchy, black discoloration type nodular swelling is known as vicharchika.
Nidana (Causes) of Vicharchika (eczema)
Acharya Charak mentioned the following nidana (Causes)
- Virodhyaanpanani (mistached diet)
- Dravsnighdhaguruni (liquid, oily and heavy food intake)
- Chardi veganshchanyaan (stopping of natural urges)
- Vyayam after having food
- Person who does follow the regime as mentioned by acharya
- Intake of cold water after fear, hard work and after sitting in sunlight
- Over eating after indigestion
- Improperly following the detoxification procedure (panchkarma) methods.
- Daily intake of freshly cultivated grains, curd, fish, salt and sour.
- Intake of kapha vardhak ahara in excess like urad, mooli, guda, milk etc
- Sexual intercourse during indigestion
- Sleeping during day
- Disrespect of Brahmin and guru.
Purvarupa (Prodromal Symptoms) of Vicharchika (eczema)
Following are the prodromal symptoms
- Atisweda (excessive sweating)
- Aswedan (no sweating )
- Twakparushya (hard and dry skin)
- Aksmat romharsh (tingling sensation)
- Vavarnya (discolouration)
- Kandu (itching)
- Suptata (numbness)
- Sparshgyannash (no sensation)
- Koth (eruptive rashes)
- Twak shotha (inflammation in the skin)
- Shram (easy fatigue)
- Klam (fatigue)
- Wound healing delayed
- Discoloration of blood
Types of Kushta Roga
Acharya charak mentioned eighteen types of kushtha roga and these are categorized into 2 types.
- Mahakushtha -7
- Kshdra kushta -11
- Kapal (non lepromatous leprosy)
- Audambar (lepromatous leprosy)
- Mandal (Non lepromatous leprosy -Psoriasis)
- Rishyajeeva (Non lepromatous leprosy)
- Pundreek (lepromatous leprosy)
- Sidham (pityriasis leprosy)
- Kaknaka (lepromatous leprosy)
- Ekkushtha (psoriasis)
- Charmakhya (Xeroderma)
- Kitibh (lichen planus or psoriasis)
- Vipadika (phagades)
- Dadrumandal (ringworm)
- Charmdal (impetigo)
- Pama (scabies)
- Visphotak (exenthymeta)
- Shataru (erythema induratum)
- Vicharchika (eczema)
Lakshan (Symptoms of vicharchika)
Symptoms vary according to its types. As it is mentioned above we can correlate eczema with Vicharchika.
Here Are the Classical Symptoms
- Rakta and Shayav varna (Red and Black discoloration)
- Kandu (itching)
- Bahusrava (Secretary)
Treatment of Vicharchika (eczema)
Vicharchika is a type of kushta roga. Acharya charak mentioned the below verse for the Treatment of kushta roga.
It states that vataja kushta is treated by ghritpan (oleatin therapy), kapha pradhan kushta is treated with vaman (medical emesis) and pittaja kushta is treated with raktamokshan (bloodletting) and virechan (therapeutic purgation).
Treatment Can be done in Two Ways
- Sanshodhan chikitsa
- Sanshaman chikitsa
- Snehana – It could be done with mahatiktaghrita, panchtikta ghrita etc.
- Vaman karam- kutaj, madanphal, madhuk, patola and nimbi is used for medicated emesis.
- Virechan karma- Purgation is done with triphala, nishotha and dantimoola.
- Niruh basti- Medicated enema is given with daruhaldi, patola, madanphal etc.
- Nasya karma
It includes herbs and herbal formulations as mentioned in our ancient texts.
Rasa / Bhasma
- Ras manikya
- Talkeshwar rasa
- Swarn makshik bhasm
- Galat kushtari ras
- Kushta kkuthara rasa
Dosage – 125- 250 mg
- Arogyavardhini vati
- Yograj guggul
- Shashilekha vati
- Kaishore guggul
- Panchtitka ghrit guggul
- Bakuchi churna
- Manjishtha churna
- Panchnimba churna
- Mustadi churna
- Triphala churna
- Brihat mahamanjishthadi kwatha
- Patoladi kwatha
Dosage– 20-40 ml
Dosage– 20-40 ml
- Maha tikta ghrit
- Mahakhadir ghrit
- Bakuchi taila
- Kanakkshere taila
- Kushtarakshas taila
- Somraji taila
Dosage – 10-20 ml or can be used for local application
Herbal Remedies for Eczema by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a renowned trusted organization offering herbal and herbo-mineral products worldwide. These herbal products are very effective in treating the patients without causing any adverse effects and are prepared by following the strict Ayurveda principles under expert Ayurveda practitioners. It includes
Skin Care Pack
- Neem Capsules
- Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Manjishtha Capsules
- Nirgundi Oil Evening Prime Rose Premium Handmade Bathing Bar
These herbs cumulatively act on the blood system and purify it. They also possess detoxification, anti-inflammatory property and analgesic properties and helpful in reliving symptoms likes itching, pain etc. The medicines are free from chemicals and additives.
At last it is concluded that eczema is managed very well with Ayurvedic herbs and herbal formulations. Along with the Management of Eczema these herbal formulations works on all types of kushta roga (skin diseases).