Kidney disease is a worldwide public health concern. Renal diseases can be acute or chronic depending on the symptoms. Acute Kidney Injury leads to Chronic Kidney disease and later progresses to ESRD ( End Stage Renal Disease ) having a high mortality rate. In modern science, the treatment is very limited to dialysis and Kidney transplantation. But there are ample limitations such as donor shortage, graft mismatch and numerous other concerns. When the kidney stops working properly and is not able to remove the toxins from the body and also it leads to water imbalance in the body. As per Ayurveda, it comes under the mutravaha srotas dushti. This can happen suddenly or gradually. Let’s discuss this in detail!
Inside each kidney, there are tiny structures that are known as nephrons. It helps in filtering out blood and removes wastes and excess water which becomes urine. Most kidney disease attacks the nephron. Kidneys are unable to remove waste in that scenario. Patients having hypertension and diabetes will be at higher risk for kidney disease. Other kidney problems include cancer, cysts, stones, and infections. It can be ruled out by getting RFT ( Renal Function Test ), Urine Analysis, Ultrasound, CT scan, and Kidney biopsy. Kidney disease can lead to other health concerns such as nerve damage, weak bones, malnutrition, etc. Some diseases of the kidneys happen during or just after birth. As per the Ayurvedic aspects, all three doshas got vitiated and resulted in kidney failure.
Types Of Kidney Diseases
1. Chronic Kidney Disease:It is a long-term condition in which symptoms don’t improve over time. The kidney loses its ability to filter out waste and fluid from the blood. Waste accumulates in the body and harms health. Diabetes and blood pressure leads to damage to the kidney. Urine will become frothy which indicates that there is a presence of proteins in the urine. The patient will feel less hungry than normal. There will be swelling in the legs, ankles, and feet. There will be high potassium levels which will affect the heart as well.
2. Glomerulonephritis: Glomerulonephritis is also known as glomerular disease. When the immune system is overactivated and causes damage to glomeruli. It is of two types:
- Chronic Glomerulonephritis:- It develops with time.
- Acute Glomerulonephritis:- It happens suddenly ( viral infection ).
Initially, it does not show any symptoms, if the damage continues then there will be the presence of blood and protein in the urine. The source of infection could be bacterial or viral. It could be autoimmune or cancerous as well. In many cases, the aetiology remains unknown.
3.Polycystic Kidney Disease: Polycystic kidney disease is a genetic disorder that causes ample cysts inside the kidney. There are two types of Polycystic Kidney Disease:
- Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Autosomal Recessive Polycystic Kidney Disease
Cyst damages the kidney and makes them larger than normal. This disorder usually occurs between 30 to 50 years of age.
4. Acute Renal Failure: ARF is the sudden loss of functioning of kidneys which is further associated with mortality in 50 to 80% of cases. Kidneys will be unable to excrete the waste out of the body. Electrolytes and fluid balance will also be disturbed. It is sudden damage within a few hours or a few days. It is diagnosed by getting RFT and GFR tests done. The patient will feel fatigued, have a fever, poor appetite, and many more symptoms.
Symptoms Of Kidney Diseases
- Loss of appetite
- Fatigue and weakness
- Sleep Problem
- Urinary disorders
- High blood pressure
- Muscle cramps
- Swelling over the feet and legs
- Dry and itchy skin
- Shortness of breath
Causes Of Kidney Diseases
- Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
- Genetic disorders like PKD
- A drug that toxic to kidneys
- Heavy metal poisoning
- Renal artery stenosis
- Weak immune system
- Prolonged obstruction in the urinary tract
- Recurrent Kidney infection ( Pyelonephritis)
Diagnosis Of Kidney Diseases
For kidney diseases diagnosis, a patient needs certain tests to determine the severity of the disease:-
- Blood Tests:- Kidney Function Test is done to check the level of remaining wastes in the blood. Creatinine and urea levels are highly determined.
- Urine Examination:- Analysing the urine sample will lead to revealing the possible abnormalities that point toward chronic kidney failure. The presence of proteins in urine will lead to CKD.
- Imaging test:- USG of the kidney is done to determine structure and size. Moreover, it has been done to diagnose any cysts or stones in the kidney.
- Biopsy:- It is done under local anesthesia, using a thin needle that is inserted into the skin and into your kidney. The biopsy sample is sent to the lab to rule out the cause of the infection.
Ayurvedic Overview Of Kidney Diseases
According to Ayurveda, all kidney diseases fall under the mutra vaha srotas. There are 13 srotas present in the body. Srotas are the pathways for functions to be performed in the body. The impairment in srotas leads to a state of disease. Vrikka ( kidney ) is a sadyo pranhar marma, so death can occur if there is any physical or pathological trauma. The diseases caused to sadyo pranhar marma are difficult to treat hence these are kasht sadhya in nature. All three doshas are equally responsible for kidney disorders. Degeneration of kidneys is due to vata dosha, Pitta is responsible for agni imbalance, and Kapha dosha blocks the srotas. The ingested food is divided into saar and kitta bhag. Saar meets up the nutritive requirements of the body and kitta forms the waste which is in the form of stool, urine, and sweat. Kitta bhag will not be processed properly if there is any disorder in Vrikka ( kidney ). Toxins will get accumulated in srotas and lead to sroto avrodh ( obstruction of srotas ). This entire range of mechanisms will be disturbed.
Medical Astrology And Mantra Therapy
These 9 mantras are from Atharva Veda, Saunaka Sakha, First Kanda, and Third Sukta. This is addressed by the Rishi Atharva to Devtas namely Parjanya, Mitra, Varuna, Chandra, and Sun. This is popularly known as Mootra Mochna Suktam.
The occasion to listen/recite,
It is to recite daily at any time. Usually, listen and recite the mantra while taking medicine prescribed by the doctor or during the dialysis procedure.
Benefits of this Mantra:-
It is believed that this Vedic chant is capable of curing all types of diseases related to kidneys, kidney stones and enabling the free flow of urine from the body and overcoming dialysis, seeking nature’s power from the sun, moon, Mitra, Varuna, and rain to enjoy the complete relief of urine flow and relaxation of mind.
Meaning of the Mantra
1. विद्या शरस्य पितरं पर्जन्यं शतवृष्ण्यम्। तेना ते तन्वे३ शं करं पृथिव्यां ते निषेचनं बहिष्टे अस्तु बालिति ॥१॥
We know the progenitor of Shara- nature’s energy of health and vigor, Parjanya, the abundant cloud of a hundredfold vigor and vitality. Thereby I bring the health of body and equanimity of mind to you. Let there be an infusion of energy, protection of health, and cleansing of the body system without delay here on earth.
2. विद्या शरस्य पितरं मित्रं शतवृष्ण्यम्। तेना ते तन्वे३ शं करं पृथिव्यां ते निषेचनं बहिष्टे अस्तु बालिति॥२॥
We know the progenitor of Shara-Mitra, Profuse pranic energy of nature of hundredfold vigor and vitality. Thereby I bring you the health of body and peace of mind. Let there be the infusion of vigor, protection of health, and cleansing of the body system without delay here on earth.
3. विद्या शरस्य पितरं वरुणं शतवृष्ण्यम्। तेना ते तन्वे३ शं करं पृथिव्यां ते निषेचनं बहिष्टे अस्तु बालिति॥३॥
We know the father of Shara-Varuna, Nature’s water energy of a hundredfold vigor and vitality. Thereby I bring you the health of body and peace of mind. Let there be the infusion of vigor, protection of health, and cleansing of the body system without delay here on earth.
4. विद्या शरस्य पितरं चन्द्रं शतवृष्ण्यम्। तेना ते तन्वे३ शं करं पृथिव्यां ते निषेचनं बहिष्टे अस्तु बालिति॥४॥
We know Shara’s father- The Moon, its profuse herbal energy of a hundredfold vigor and vitality. Thereby I bring you the health of the body and tranquility of the mind. Let there be an infusion of health and vigor, protection of vitality, and cleansing of the body system without delay here on earth.
5. विद्या शरस्य पितरं सूर्यं शतवृष्ण्यम्। तेना ते तन्वे३ शं करं पृथिव्यां ते निषेचनं बहिष्टे अस्तु बालिति॥५॥
We know the Shara’s father – the Sun of a hundredfold virility. Thereby I bring you the health of the body and tranquility of the mind. Let there be an infusion of health and vigor, protection of vitality, and cleansing of the body system without delay here on earth.
6.यदान्त्रेषु गवीन्योर्यद्वस्तावधि संश्रुतम्। एवा ते मूत्रं मुच्यतां बहिर्बालिति सर्वकम्॥६॥
Whatever stays collected in your intestine, in the urinary ducts, and in the bladder. Let it be thus released all at once.
7. प्र ते भिनद्मि मेहनं वत्रँ वेशन्त्या इव। एवा ते मूत्रं मुच्यतां बहिर्बालिति सर्वकम्॥७॥
I remove the obstruction, open the urethra and release the flow. Let the urine flow freely all at once.
8. विषितं ते वस्तिबिलं समुद्रस्योदधेरिव। एवा ते मूत्रं मुच्यतां बहिर्बालिति सर्वकम्॥८॥
The mouth of your bladder is open like a flood of a sea. Let the urine then flow freely all at once.
9. यथेषुका परापतदवसृष्टाधि धन्वनः।एवा ते मूत्रं मुच्यतां बहिर्बालिति सर्वकम्॥९॥
Just as the arrow shot and released from the bow flies forth far. So let the urine flow freely all at once.
Herbal Remedies For Kidney Diseases By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a GMP-certified company offering products all around the world. All the products are prepared by following the Ayurveda text under the guidance of MD Ayurveda experts. All the products are safe and devoid of all kinds of adverse effects. Let’s have a look at the formulations:-
Revive Kidneys Pack
- MUTRAKRICHANTAK CHURNA
- RENCURE FORMULA
- VARUNADI VATI
- PUNARNAVA MANDUR
- CHANDANADI VATI
1. Mutrakrichantak Churna
It is a wonderful preparation by Planet Ayurveda. It is a blended mixture of herbs like Varun (Crataeva nurvala ), Bhumi Amla (Phyllanthus niruri ), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris ), Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata). Varun acts as an anti-inflammatory and has renal-supportive qualities. Bhumi Amla acts as a diuretic. Gokshura helps in the normal flow of urine and smoothens the urinary tract. Kalmegh acts as a supportive herb for maintaining digestion.
Dosage:- 1 Teaspoon twice daily with warm water, after meals.
2. Rencure Formula
It is a herbal supplement by Planet Ayurveda for supporting kidney health naturally. This formulation is in capsule form and contains Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa ), Varun (Crataeva nurvala), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris), Plaash (Butea monosperma), Kaasni ( Cichorium intybus ). These herbs help in the proper functioning of the kidneys. It boosts the functioning of the liver and also increases the red cell counts. Helpful in dealing with the complication of Kidney diseases.
Dosage:- 2 capsules twice daily with warm water, after meals.
3. Punarnava Mandur
Punarnava Mandoor is a traditional ayurvedic preparation. It is best suited for renal system disorders. It contains Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa ), Shunthi (Zingiber officanlis), Pippali (Piper longum), Marich (Piper nigrum), Amla (Emblica Officanlis) etc. It helps to reduce urea and creatinine levels. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. It is also a natural remedy for ascites due to kidney failure.
Dosage:- 2 tablets twice daily with warm water, after meals.
4. Chandanadi Vati
It is a classical herbal formulation used for maintaining kidney health. It provides a cooling effect on the body. It is very good for maintaining a healthy gut. It contains herbs and minerals like Safed Chandan ( Santalum album ), Kabachini ( Piper cubeba ), Safed ral ( Shorea robusta ), etc.
Dosage:- 2 tablets twice daily with warm water, after meals.
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or Call at 0172-521-4030 (India), +91-172-521-4030 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604.
Diet And Lifestyle Changes
- Avoid self-medication
- Avoid fatty food
- Avoid alcohol consumption
- Avoid high protein diet
- Limiting salts and potassium
- Avoid frozen stuff
- Detox regularly
- Monitor your vitals and maintain Blood pressure
- Opt for low-potassium sources such as papaya, radish, carrots, etc
- Have a good sleep
- Improve appetite and have good bowel habits
All kidney diseases are serious medical problems and could be very complicated in many patients. The mortality rate is about 50% and it is worsening day by day. This disease could be a burden for any nation. So to eradicate this we have to adopt Ayurveda and natural ways of healing so that a patient would be saved from consuming harmful chemicals. Also, there should be a recitation of the mantras mentioned above while consuming the medicine. In modern days these approaches should be adopted for well being of mankind.