Diarrhea in humans is usually not a cause for concern. Have you ever wondered why horses sometimes get diarrhea? Unlike humans, horses have a sensitive large intestine that has a delicate balance of bacteria. When that balance gets disrupted, it can lead to diarrhea, even without any specific disease-causing germs being present. This condition is called colonic dysbiosis. So, what causes diarrhea in horses, and how can it be treated? We’ll explore the different reasons behind this condition and the options available to help horses feel better. Join us as we will uncover the facts about loose poop in horses and equip ourselves with the knowledge to care for our equine friends.
Diarrhea should be seen as a symptom rather than a standalone illness, as it often indicates an underlying issue with your horse’s digestive system. Typically, horse manure appears as rounded “buns”, solid, or road apples, however, when there are disruptions in the digestive system, such as abnormal motility and fluid absorption, the manure can become loose and watery, ranging from mildly runny to extremely liquid. In severe cases, the loose stool may be forcefully expelled, leaving stall walls and surrounding objects splattered. While diarrhea may last for a brief period and resolve spontaneously without a clear cause, there are instances when it can be acute and severe or develop into a chronic condition requiring careful management.
What Causes Diarrhea in Horses?
Diarrhea in horses can stem from a variety of factors
- Bacterias: Nasty bugs like Clostridium, Salmonella, coronavirus, and Potomac horse fever can invade the digestive system, causing diarrhea in horses.
- Parasites: Unwelcome guests such as worms can disrupt the gastrointestinal tract, leading to digestive troubles and loose stools.
- Intake of clay: Accidental consumption of sand while grazing can irritate the gut, resulting in loose and watery stools.
- Stress: Horses, like us, can experience stress, which can upset their digestive balance and contribute to diarrhea.
- Ulcers in the digestive tract can cause discomfort and disrupt normal bowel movements, potentially leading to diarrhea.
- Sudden alterations in the diet, such as switching feeds abruptly, can unsettle the delicate digestive system, causing diarrhea.
- Certain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) may have gastrointestinal side effects, including diarrhea, when administered to horses.
- Inflammatory bowel disease: This chronic condition involves inflammation of the intestinal lining, leading to persistent diarrhea.
- Exposure to harmful substances or ingestion of toxic plants can disrupt digestion and trigger diarrhea.
- Abnormal neoplastic growths, like tumors, within the digestive tract can interfere with normal bowel movements and cause diarrhea.
- Coronavirus – Coronavirus wreaks havoc on the intestinal lining, leading to severe illness in horses. The body initiates a process to repair the damaged bowel lining, but this regeneration takes time—typically several days to more than a week. During this period, the horse may experience intense diarrhea and become susceptible to secondary infections.
What Are the Symptoms of Diarrhea?
Along with watery manure, your horse may show other symptoms like
- Persistent diarrhea lasting more than 24 hours
- Loss of appetite or reduced interest in food
- Additional signs of colic
- Lethargic behavior and decreased energy
- Noticeable weight loss or pre-existing health issues prior to diarrhea
- Forceful or explosive bowel movements
- Presence of blood or mucus in the manure
- Higher than normal rectal temperature
- Pale appearance of gums
Management of this disease depends upon underlying reason and severity. In mild symptoms, probiotics can do wonderful but in severe cases medicinal support is needed. In Ayurveda, diarrhea is recognised as Atisara and its main cause is dushit agni. When proper digestion and improper rasa are formed leads to buildup digestive problems. The main goal of the Ayurveda is to maintain the digestive fire in this condition. Our renowned company Planet Ayurveda provides several formulations of pure herbs and have prescribed many helpful products to work on this situation.
Herbal Remedies by Planet Ayurveda for Diarrhea in Horses
Planet Ayurveda, led by Dr. Vikram Chauhan and their team of experts, is a renowned herbal manufacturing company that specializes in creating a wide range of medicines. Their formulations are meticulously crafted without the use of chemicals, preservatives, fillers, or synthetic dyes. By adhering to Ayurvedic principles, these formulations are completely free from side effects, colors, starch, and synthetic materials. Planet Ayurveda offers a selection of potent medicines specifically designed to benefit your horse. The list of these effective medicines is
- Halorhena + Capsules
- Digestion Support
- Mahashankh Vati
- Motion Stop Tablets
1. Halorhena + Capsules
This is a single herbal capsule formulation formulated by planet Ayurveda, consisting of Kutaj (Holarrhena antidysenterica). This is very helpful as an agni pradeepika which means to enhance the digestive fire, very useful in several GI problems like diarrhea, hemorrhoids, ulcerative colitis etc. it also helps to soothe the gut flora.
Dosage– Give Six capsules two times a day
2. Digestion Support
Planet Ayurveda prepared this polyherbal formulation specifically for GI and digestion related issues as the name suggests. Consisting of many miraculous herbs like Amlaki Emblica officinalis, Haritaki Terminalia chebula and many more. It helps to properly consume minerals and vitamins of food from the gut. Works on our digestive fire, increases the appetite, improves overall health.
Dosage– Give Two capsules two times a day
3. Mahashankh Vati
This is a classical herbal formulation prepared by Planet Ayurveda with wonderful herbs like Shunthi Zingiber officinals, Pippali Piper longum etc. Combination of these herbs directly works on the GI system, maintains the gut flora, promotes digestion, removes toxins, kills the free radicals from the body. This product helps to increase the appetite and reduce acidity or gastritis.
Dosage- Give Six tablets two times a day
4. Motion Stop Tablets
Patent herbal formulation of Planet Ayurveda consisting of Kutaj Holarrhena antidysenterica, Bael Aegle marmelos etc. These herbs in combination do wonderful things and help in improving digestive illnesses. As the name suggests, this formulation works on stopping the motions that means diarrhea, relieves pain if present, digests the Aam and expel out the toxins.
Dosage- Give six tablets two times a day
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or Call at 0172-521-4030 (India), +91-172-521-4030 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604
Listen up, horse enthusiasts! When it comes to your equine companion’s health, diarrhea is no joke. Diagnosing the underlying cause of your horse’s loose stool can be a real head-scratcher. It’s a tough nut to crack, and it’s best to leave it to the pros. Keep a watchful eye on your horse’s poop and heed the warning signs. By staying vigilant and reaching out to us when needed, you’ll be one step closer to ensuring your horse’s well-being and cracking the code of runny poop like a true equestrian detective.