Sometimes if we wash our hair once in a week then they start giving the appearance of oily hair, it looks that we applied so many oils in our hair, it feels very embarrassing. The white flakes of dead skin are mainly spotted on our skin and shoulders. These white flakes are called Dandruff and it makes the skin itchy and oily. This problem affects all age groups like children, adults, and mid-age group people. Although it is a not very contagious and serious condition sometimes it becomes difficult to manage it.
What is Dandruff
Dandruff is a chronic, non – inflammatory, scaling scalp condition characterized by flaking skin on our scalp. Dandruff can occur in any season but it is known that mostly it is seen in winters. It is a scalp problem, not a serious problem. It can be controlled easily but sometimes it becomes difficult to manage it. It can also affect the infant, the condition which occurs in infants is known as Cradle Cap which is not a very serious problem, it resolves by itself.
What are the Symptoms of Dandruff?
The symptoms of dandruff are as follows
- Itchy skin
- Scaling scalp
- Flakes of dead skin in hair and on shoulders
Causes of Dandruff
The main causes of Dandruff are
- Seborrheic Dermatitis – It is the condition in which our scalp becomes oily and red and it gets covered with white and yellowish scales. It can also occur in some other areas rich in oil like the side of the nose, back of the ear and the eyebrows.
- Contact Dermatitis – It is mainly due to sensitivity to certain hair products, resulting in the oily, itchy, and red
- Malassezia Fungus – This is a Yeast like a fungus which stays on the scalp in most of the people but sometimes it irritates the scalp. Resulting in the formation of more skin cells, these extra skin cells formed, die and appear as white flakes in your hair or on our clothes
- Dry Skin – It is the most common cause of dandruff.
- Not Shampooing the Hair Regularly- Sometimes we do not wash our hair regularly which results in oily hair leading to dandruff.
- Certain Hair Products Sensitivity – Sometimes our scalp becomes sensitive to some hair products especially paraphenylenediamine which makes our scalp itchy, oily and
- Other Skin Conditions Like Eczema, Psoriasis- Psoriasis is a condition in which skin cells becomes dry, rough and dead and gets covered by thick scales. Eczema is a condition in which our scalp skin gets inflamed.
When to See A Doctor
Sometimes dandruff does not resolve by using anti-dandruff shampoos and our scalp becomes swollen and red, in this case, we need to visit a Doctor or a Dermatologist. We may be suffering from other condition which looks similar to dandruff called Seborrheic dermatitis. Considerations to discuss with your Doctor include –
- Dosage, chemical composition and brand of the oil you use.
- Method, purity and expected duration of use.
- The protocol you follow, in case of any side effect you face.
Use of Essential Oils In Control Of Dandruff
First of all, if you think of start using the essential oils then always first consult your Doctor or Dermatologist. Research has shown that certain essential oils like- lemongrass, bergamot, thyme, and tea tree oil is effective in controlling dandruff. Even mainstream medical institutions acknowledge that essential oils, specifically tea tree oil – can be considered as an alternative medicine for dandruff, although more study is needed.
- Lemongrass (Cymbopogon) – It is known that the antidandruff containing lemongrass helps in significant controlling of dandruff.
- Bergamot (Citrus Bergamia)- It is helpful in controlling dandruff.
Using Essential Oils to Treat Dandruff
Variety of options are available to treat dandruff by using essential oils which are as follows –
- We can use our shampoo by mixing a certain amount of essential oils in it. It will be very helpful in treating dandruff.
- First of all, if you want to use essential oils to treat dandruff then before purchasing a shampoo always read about its ingredients because many commercial shampoos contain essential oils in it so it will be helpful to you.
- We can also prepare shampoo at home by using the chosen essential oil and mixing it with compatible ingredients like Castile liquid soap.
Here are a few guidelines we should follow to prevent dandruff –
- Never scratch your scalp with hands or other objects
- Always wash your hair using Herbal shampoo, at least 2-3 times in a week.
- Do regular Yoga and exercise to stop the stress
- Always massage your head and hair before taking a bath
- Add fiber-rich fruits, salads in your diet and the foods having high nutritional value
Some tips we can follow in our daily life to get rid of dandruff –
- It is known that if we chew Neem and Tulsi leaves an empty stomach, especially in the morning, they are very helpful to treat the dandruff problem.
- Make a mixture of one cup yogurt, one teaspoon lemon juice and one tablespoon honey and apply on your head and hair for 30 minutes, 1 hour before washing your hair, it will be helpful in controlling dandruff.
Dandruff is a chronic condition which can affect all age groups including infants. So if you are suffering from this problem then consult your Doctor if it is not resolving by use of anti-dandruff shampoos.