- It is the infectious disease caused by the fungus called Candida albicans. It starts accumulating in the mouth.
- Another name of oral thrush is Oral candidiasis, Oropharyngeal candidiasis, or also called Simply Thrush.
- It is an oral infection.
- In this condition, the fungus Candida albicans start growing on the inner lining of the mouth.
- Actually, candida is an organism that generally presents in our mouth. But in some cases, candida starts over the growing and this overgrowth causes oral thrush
- Candida albicans can affect anyone, but most babies and older persons are affected by it. The immunity is very less in the babies and older people that is why they are the main target of the Oral Thrush. If the immune system is suppressed or a person is immunocompromised, then also oral thrush can occur.
- Oral thrush is a small problem, but still, if a person having low immunity, then it can create severe disorder which can be difficult to control
Oral Thrush In Ayurveda
According, to Ayurveda it is called AMA or toxins. Due to the disturbance in the balance of three doshas i.e Vata, pitta, and Kapha causes the formation of AMA. The toxicity is produced in the body in which three doshas are aggravated or not in a balanced state.
The Candida Albicans is present in a small amount in the mouth and different parts of our body that includes the digestive system and skin. But, normally it doesn’t create any problem in the person whose immune system is working strongly.
Some of the Causes are
- Taking any medicines for a long time, may affect the immune system and reduces its capability to fight against infections.
- In some diseases, immunity of the body decreases like in HIV positive patients, the immunity of a person is reduced to a very low level, in leukemia immune system of the body is weakened. HIV is the major cause of oral thrush.
- While in some treatment therapy, the healthy cells are damaged. During the treatment of cancer i.e chemotherapy and radiation therapy, can kill or harm the healthy cells in our body.
- Diabetes mellitus is also one of the causes of oral thrush. At the time of diabetes mellitus, the immune system of the patient is weakened and the sugar level in the blood is also increased, so the occurrence of oral thrush is high in this condition.
Symptoms Of Oral Thrush
- During the starting stage of oral thrush, the symptoms are not present. But if the infection continues, the worse symptoms can be produced like:
- The little amount of bleeding is present in oral thrush
- Sometimes yellowish or whitish color patches are produced on the inner side of cheeks, tongue, tonsils, gum and on the lips.
- In the mouth burning sensation or feeling soreness.
- On the corners of the mouth, the skin becomes dry, rough and cracked type.
- Due to oral thrush dryness occur in the oral area, so it is difficult to swallow the food.
- It also creates a bad taste in the mouth, results in decreased intake of food that causes weight loss and general body weakness.
- At some stages, loss of taste is present.
- The chronic stage of oral thrush may lead to cancer of the infected area.
- In rare, cases oral thrush also affects the esophagus but it is less common.
Symptoms of Oral Thrush, According To Ayurveda
Symptoms of oral thrush are based on the 3 doshas present in our body.
- Fatigue is present with general body weakness
- Due to Vata dosha patient suffer from anxiety
- Joint pains or cramps are also present
- Abdominal discomfort
- Immunity also decreases
- Weight loss
- Digestion strength is also reduced
- Due to the disturbance of pitta dosha, inflammation is present
- A bad odor comes from the body
- Loose stool is also present in this situation
- Burning sensation
- Occurrence of acne
- Due to the involvement of Kapha dosha, weight gain occurs
- The body feels fatigued and lazy
- Not interested to do physical activities
- Mucus is present in the lungs, colon, stomach or sinus
- Sometimes mucus is also present in the stool
- Associated with Nausea
Risk Factors For The Oral Thrush
In adults, oral thrush is caused because of the following reason:
- In adults, oral thrush is present in the people who wear DENTURES. Especially when the dentures are not clean properly or if they are not taken out during a sleeping time
- Uses of antibiotics are also another cause of oral thrush. People who use strong antibiotics have a higher risk of getting affected with oral thrush
- Smokers and the alcoholic person have a major tendency to get affected with the candid.
Home Remedies For Oral Thrush
- Salt is a common remedy that is useful in oral thrush. Rinse off your mouth with saltwater that will give you soothing and cleansing effect
- Yogurt is also another remedy for oral thrush. Yogurt has cultured bacteria that stops the growth of yeast.
- Lemon Juice contains Vitamin C which is useful in many oral problems
- Baking soda also helps to treat the oral thrush
- Turmeric is an effective remedy that is used for various purposes. It has an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory property thus effective in oral thrush.
- Oregano is a flavoring agent, and oregano oil also has antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
- Apple cider vinegar can be used in oral thrush. Just add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water, swish in your mouth for at least fifteen to twenty
- Gentian violet is dye with anti-fungal property. Just use a Gentian Violet with a cotton swab on the affected area.