Kidney stones are very common in adults. It occurs when mineral and salts commonly calcium oxalate creates hard deposits and crystallizes in the kidneys. These stones can affect any part of the urinary tract including the bladder. It is also known as renal calculi or urolithiasis. These stones are more common in men as compared to women.
Ayurvedic Point of View on Renal Stone
In Ayurveda, renal stones are correlated with Ashmari.
चतस्त्रो अश्मरो भवन्ति श्लेष्माधिष्ठान। तद्यथा- श्लेष्मणा, वातेन, पित्तेन, शुक्रेण चेति। (सु। नि ३ /४ )
This shloka represents that ashmari (stones) are of four types that arise from Kapha, Vata, Pitta, and sukra.
तत्रासंशोधनशीलस्यापथ्यकरणी: प्रकुपित:श्लेष्मा मूत्रसम्प्रिक्तो अनुप्रविश्य वस्ति मश्मरी जन -यति (सु। नि ३ /३ )
The reasons for ashmari (stones): When the body doesn’t get detoxify from vaman, virechan, etc panchakarma procedures and due to wrong eating and lifestyle habits, it gives rise to ashmari (stones) in the bladder.
नाभिपृष्टकटीमुष्कगुदवङ्गषणशेफसाम। एक द्वार स्त्नु तवक्को मध्ये वस्ति रधो मुख। (सु। नि ३ /१८ )
This shloka represents: Umbilical, back, pelvic region, and reproductive area, the part that is present in the lower side is known as vasti.
Samprapti Ghatakas of Kidney Stones
Urine is considered as dushya, Mutravahasrotas (Urinary system) is disturbed. Adhisthan is urinary bladder, srotodushti is sang, Sabhav is darun and sadhyasadhyta is krichsadhya.
Types of Ashmri (Kidney Stones) According To Various Acharya
- Vataj Ashmari
- Kaphaj Ashmari
- Shukraj Ashmari
Primary Symptoms of Renal Stones
- Distention of the Bladder
- Pain in lower Abdomen
- Passage of urine with goat’s urine smell
- Pain in the bladder, penis, testis with a headache
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Rounded and fainted urine stream
- Turbid urine
- Relief after a passage of calculus
Types of Ashmari (Stones) with Their Symptoms
1. Vatik Ashmari (Uric Acid Stone) Symptoms:
- Blackish, reddish stone like a flower of Kadamb
- Retention of urine
- Increased frequency of urine
- The irregular surface of the stone
- Acute pain in the bladder that radiates to the penis
- Pressing of the penis with hands
2. Pattik Ashmari (Calcium Oxalate Stone) Symptoms:
- Inflammation in lower abdomen & bladder
- Burning sensation in Bladder
- Small & marking nut like stone
- Reddish stone
3. Kaphaj Ashmari Symptoms:
- Feeling of cold & heaviness in bladder
- Large & smooth stone
- Stone resembles the color of honey
- White or Brownish stone
- Pricking pain in urinary tract
4. Shukr Ashmari (Calcium Phosphate Stone) Symptoms:
- Pain in bladder
- White & soft stone
- Retention of urine
- Adults are more prone
Complications Related To Renal Stones
- Heaviness in body
- Pain in the abdomen
Home Remedies For Kidney Stones
As with some simple remedies at home, you can get rid of these stones
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The presence of citric acid in this vinegar dissolves calcium deposits. So, take a teaspoonful of this vinegar in a glass of water. Drink this daily early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Wheatgrass: It is one of the best remedies for kidney stones. The compounds present in wheatgrass increase the urine production that allows stones to pass easily from the urinary tract. The antioxidant nature of wheatgrass helps in detoxification of the urinary system. Drink a glass of wheatgrass juice daily early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Pomegranate: The antioxidant and astringent properties of pomegranate fruit reduce the chances of developing kidney stones. Drink the juice of pomegranate fruit as it lowers the acid level of urine, and helps in easy passage of stones through the urinary tract.
- Dandelion: This herb helps in detoxification of the urinary system. Drinking at least 3 to 4 cups of dandelion tea is very useful in kidney stones.
- Horse Gram: Take two teaspoons of horse gram in a glass of water. Soak this overnight. Early in the morning on an empty stomach drink this water. It will break all types of stones. The left gram can be prepared as a dish and eat it.
- Water: Drink at least 12 glasses of water to flush out kidney stones through the urinary tract.
- Lemon: The stones of calcium can be easily crushed with the use of lemon. It contains a citrate compound that slows down the calcium deposits that breaks down the stone in small pieces. So, drink lemon juice by squeezing a lemon in a glass of water.
- Gokshur (Tribulus Terrestris): This is the best herb for kidney stones as it lowers phosphate level that makes it harder for stone to form in the kidneys. The herb increases the urine due to diuretic property in it. So, through urine stones get easily pass out from the kidneys.
- Bhumi Amla (Phyllanthus Niruri): It is the herb known as stone breaker due to its ability to break down all the deposits very easily. You can use the whole plant by eating it as raw. This herb breaks down all types of the kidney as well as gall bladder stones.
- Kidney Beans: These beans are rich in magnesium that break the kidney stones and deal with its associated symptoms. The broth made from kidney beans is good for kidneys and urinary system health.
- Soda: It is also considered as the best remedy for removing renal stones. Drink soda daily to flush out the stones from the bladder through the urinary tract.
Now Let’s Discuss The Best Herbal Remedies For Kidney Stones
Ayurveda gives the best and effective treatment of kidney stones. As the herbs in Ayurveda breakdown, the formation of stones and subsidies all the symptoms associated with kidney stones. Planet Ayurveda one of the best ayurvedic clinics that offer a combo pack known as Revive Kidneys Pack and along with with it Phyllanthus niruri capsules. This pack comprises of four products Varunadivati, Rencure formula, Punarnava Mandur, and Mutrakrichantak Churna.
Products Description In Detail
1. Varunadi Vati
These are classical herbal tablets prepared from ingredients like Varun (Crataeva nurvala), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris), Shuddh Guggul (Commiphora mukul) etc. The tablets give effective results in kidney stones, urinary tract infections, and all types of kidney problems.
Dosage: Two tablets thrice daily with plain water.
2. Rencure Formula
These herbal capsules are good for kidney stones. These herbal capsules are prepared from herbs like Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris), Palaash (Butea monosperma), Kaasni (Cichorium intybus), Varun (Crataeva nurvala) etc. All the signs and symptoms related to kidney stones are managed with the usage of these capsules.
Dosage: One to two capsules twice daily with plain water.
3. Punarnava Mandur
These are classical herbal tablets prepared from ingredients like Pippali (Piper longum), Maricha (Piper nigrum), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Chitrakmool (Plumbago zeylanica) etc. The tablets give good results in anemia associated with kidney stone patients. It works on all types of kidney stones.
Dosage: Two tablets twice or thrice daily with plain water.
4. Mutrakrichantak Churna
This herbal churna is prepared from ingredients like Varun (Crateva nurvala), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris), Bhumi amla (Phyllanthus niruri), Shigru (Moringa oleifera) etc. that are good in kidney stones. These all herbs in combination deal with the signs and symptoms associated with kidney stones. It is the best churna for maintaining the health of kidneys.
Dosage: One teaspoonful twice daily with plain water after meals.
Along with this pack you can also use Phyllanthus niruri capsules.
5. Phyllanthus Niruri
These capsules are prepared from standardized extract of herb bhumi amla. The herb is also known as a stone breaker that breaks down all types of stones. Phyllanthus niruri capsules give good results in kidney stones.
Dosage: One to two capsules twice or thrice daily with plain water.
If you want to get quick results from kidney stones than use the above home remedies along with the herbal remedies.