What is Obesity ?
Obesity may defined as a condition of extra accumulation of unwanted fats over various areas of body. It is a global problem that is major cause for heart diseases, diabetes, hypertension and premature mortality.
Ayurvedic Overview of Obesity
According to Ayurveda,obesity is a kaphadosha and medhadhaturealted disorder and the term used for this disease is “stholya”or “medoroga”. In this disorder the excessive amount of fat get accumulated over particular areas like breast, belly, buttock and thigh. According to Ayurveda,medoroga begins imbalance of agni (digestivefire), that leads to imbalance tridosha, imbalance mala and srotasa. This collection of imbalance in body leads to the fat deposition in masadhatu. Our unhealthy eating habits (vishamaharavihara) and sedentary life style (sukha asana) are two major causes of this disorder. Both of these causes disturb the digestive system and ama (toxin) is released due to weak digestion. Disturbed vatadosha increases thirst and appetite. Pacification of kaphadosha is first line of treatment in obese people.
Human body has seven dhatus-rasa (plasma), rakta (blood), masa (muscle), meda (fat), asthi (bones), majja (lymphs) and shukradhatu (sperm and ovum). In obese people medadhatu is excessively nourished than all other dhatus. Kaphadosha is aggravated in this dhatu and result in excessive weight gain.
- Extra accumulated body fat
- Excessive sweating
- Bad body odour
- Lack of exercise
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Emotional factors
- Excessive intake of soft and sugary drinks
- Fatty food
- Addiction of alcohol
- Drugs like contraceptives and steroids
- Eating poor diet with high fat
- Lack of sleep
There are certain medical conditions that are also responsible for causing obesity are :
- Cushing’s syndrome
- Praderwilli syndrome
- Protein diet – High protein diet helps to boost metabolism. Body helps to burn calories during the digestion and metabolism of proteins, it should burn 80-100 calories a day. It helps to reduce the appetite and also make us feel full.
- Avoid Processed food – Try to avoid processed food if someone wants to reduce weight because this kind of foods are rich in calories, fats and extra added sugars. Extra consumption of sugar leads to serious heart diseases. Minimize your intake of sugar to lose weight very easily.
- Increase water intake – It is a truth that intake of plenty of water helps to reduce weight very easily. Increase in intake of water helps to burn calories more easily.
- Avoid sweetened coffee – Coffee is considered as very healthy beverage that is full of anti-oxidants and other effective compounds. Daily consumption of black or unsweetened coffee support weight lose increasing energy levels and burning calories.
- Liquid calories – If one should want to reduce weight easily, avoid the intake of liquid supplements like sugary soft drinks, energy drinks, chocolate shakes, and chocolate milk and fruit juices.
- Whole grains – Whole grains like oats, brown bread, brown rice etc. helps to burn more calories. To digest all these foods our body utilize more energy and more fat is burn during this process.
- Add green tea – Green tea is natural beverage that is great source of anti-oxidants. Green tea helps to increase metabolism, boost immune system, reduces calories and helps in fat burning.
- Use Small plates and avoid overeating – To reduce weight easily one should divide your meal into small portion at periodic intervals and avoid over eating to accumulate extra fats in body. It increase our body metabolism and feel us hungry after regular intervals.
- Add fruits and vegetables to diet – Being a very rich source of water, nutrients and fiber helps to reduce calories and helps in fat burning.
- Do not talk and laugh while eating – Avoid the intake of alcohol and smoking. Proper chewing makes our habit of slow eating and easy digestion.
- Try to avoid day sleep and try to do regular exercise like walking, swimming and running.
1. Aloe Vera
As it stimulates metabolism, aloe Vera helps in weight reduction. It helps to increase metabolism and consumption of unused fat from body. This plant is known for its medicinal properties like laxative, wound healing, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. This plant contains more than 75 active compounds like enzymes, vitamins, amino acids, anthraquinones, carbohydrates and hormones. In Ayurveda this medicinal plant is used as rasayana(rejuvenator) and vrushya (aphrodisiac).
2. Curry Leaves
Daily chewing of 10 raw curry leaves every morning is a great ayurvedic remedy for weight loss. Lavishing curry leaves are used for garnishing and flavouring foods are rich source of fibre, proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, carotene, nicotinic acid, oxalic acid, vitamin A and C and calcium. It is used to reduce fat, mahanimbine is alkaloid present in this plant that is anti-obesity and have potency of lipid lowering effects. Leaves are also known for anti-diabetic, anti-helminthic, tonic, stomachic, anti-diarrhoealand carminative properties.
Cabbage is great source of fibres and helps to reduce weight very easily. Being a cruciferous vegetable it is rich source of phytochemical compounds that helps to increase the digestion and improves Estrogen imbalance in body. It contains ascorbic acid, phenolic compounds, carotenoids and glucosinolates. This vegetable is not only anti-obesity but also helps to protect body from the risk of cancer and other heart related disorders.
4. Fennel Seeds
Due to the wonderful aroma of fennel seeds, they are used to garnish and flavour dishes. Due to its diuretic properties it is very beneficial in weight loss.
Lemon are best citric fruits to reduce weight very easily. Daily intake of lemon juice with honey helps to reduce body fat and to stimulate digestive system.
Youghurtis form of very healthy gut microflora that helps in the absorption of nutrients, helps to speed up digestion and reduces fat intake in body.
We can use cinnamon tea to reduce extra weight. As we all know that blood sugar is directly related with weight gain. Cinnamon tea is very effective home remedy to reduce weight easily.
8. Dandelion and Peppermint
Tea prepared by both of ingredients is a wonderful drink for healthy liver. Liver is major vital organ of body that helps in detoxification and improves the process of metabolism. Liver cells also help to control bile flow and helps in fats absorption.