A herniated disc is also called a ruptured disc. In Ayurveda, we can correlate it with ‘vatavyadhi’. A herniated disc is a condition that affects the nerves of the spine. Research has shown that 97% of patients could be treated without surgery in 2020. With surgery, recovery can be quite lengthy and painful. It can sometimes make things worse. After surgery, you will need to take time off from work, and you may not be able to do many of the activities you enjoy. Effective non-surgical treatments have been medications and physical therapy. Ayurveda provides the best herbal medicines with the best results for this condition. This article will discuss the types, stages, causes, diagnoses, symptoms, complications, Ayurveda management, and herbal medicines. Medicine plays the best role for patients who cannot afford expensive surgery and are afraid of surgery.
A herniated disc occurs when the soft inner part of the disc slips out. Sometimes sufferers feel no pain, and sometimes it is very painful. It can be treated without surgery, but if symptoms persist or worsen, the patient will need surgery. It often occurs with pain in the lower back, but it can also occur in the middle back and cervical region.
TYPES OF HERNIATED DISC
- Posterolateral disc herniation: a protrusion is usually located posterolaterally in the spinal canal. The bulging disc usually presses on the nearest nerve as the nerve crosses the plane of the disc along this path.
- Central disc herniation: it can lead to cauda equina syndrome (in which there is dysfunction of several nerves).
- Lateral disc herniation: It affects the nerve root of L4. Above the herniation site, there is compression of the nerve root.
- Rupture in the fibrous lining of the disc.
- Age: With age, the disc becomes weaker and drier.
- Side effects of certain medications.
- Weight: It can put extra stress on the discs.
- Inheritance: Some people are more prone to developing herniated discs than others.
- Frequent driving or working long hours
- Poor posture while sleeping, sitting, standing, or exercising
- Cauda equina syndrome
- Pregnancy: the added weight and hormone changes can cause the discs to expand and bulge.
The pain usually occurs in the back and radiates to the arms and legs. The pain can also vary depending on the location.
- Neck Pain occurs in the neck and radiates to the shoulders and arms. A severe disc herniation in this region can cause stiffness, weakness, and numbness.
- Pain in the lower back: pain in the lower back often radiates to the thighs and buttocks, and the pain travels from the buttocks to the legs and follows the course of the sciatic nerve.
- Chest pain: pain in the middle of the back that radiates forward into the chest.
- Muscle weakness: when a nerve is pinched by a herniated disc, the associated muscle becomes weak, and the patient falls when walking.
- Loss of bladder and bowel control
- Antalgic and Trendelenberg gait
- Deviation of the spine and boot
- Chronic back pain
- Permanent nerve damage
- Range of motion
A doctor may ask about symptoms and check the following:
- Ability to walk or gait pattern.
- Muscle strength.examinations
- Location of the painful area.
- X-ray examinations show the structure of the joint and the outline of the vertebrae. Fractures can also be detected.
- MRI examinations: Enlargements and degenerations (in 3D view)
- CT examinations—to show the shape and size of the vertebral canal and associated structures
- Myelogram: to determine the pressure on the spinal cord due to an underlying abnormality.
- Nerve conduction test/electromyogram: helps diagnose nerve and muscle damage due to a previous injury.
RISKS OF HERNIATED DISK SURGERY
As mentioned above, surgery is a very invasive procedure and can be quite risky. It also comes with its own risks. Such as:
- Nerve damage
- Blood clots
So, if you can avoid surgery, I would highly suggest doing so. Herbal remedies can help relieve the pain without all of the risks that surgery entails.
AYURVEDA OVERVIEW OF DISC HERNIATION
Ayurveda helps to maintain a healthy body naturally. In Ayurveda, we can associate it with “VATAVYADHI”. This is one of the diseases caused by Vata vitiation. Elevated Vata has many reasons, such as stress, a lack of exercise, and an improper diet. The lower abdomen, thighs, and perineum are the areas responsible for forming Vata. Vata is the main dosha in our body and is responsible for the movement and functions of our body. If we can bring the Vata dosha under control, we can cure this disease. Ayurveda will cure your back pain, which is known as ‘Prishtashoola’ in Ayurveda. Ayurveda has detailed knowledge about how to balance the vitiated Vata dosha. If someone is suffering from a herniated disc, then Ayurveda may be the perfect treatment for them.
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT FOR DISC HERNIATION
This is a traditional health system. It is caused by vata vitiation. Ayurveda establishes a balance between these doshas and cures the disease. Various panchkarma therapies are helpful for herniated discs, such as Abhyanga Sweden, Nasyam, Kati Vasti, and Greeva Vasti.
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA FOR DISC HERNIATION
Planet Ayurveda offers you the best combination of wonderful herbal remedies like the Disc Care Pack and Maha Triphala Ghrit. These remedies are a pure vegetarian formula that supports overall health. These herbal remedies are made from 100% natural and pure herbs without the use of chemicals, preservatives, or additives.
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
- YOGRAJ GUGGUL
- HAKAM CHURNA
- AAMVATANTAK CHURNA
- MAHA TRIPHALA GHRIT
1. BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
Boswellia Curcumin is a polyherbal capsule. It is free of yeast, binders, fillers, starch, chemicals, etc. It contains shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and curcumin (haridra). It is prescribed for the maintenance of muscles and healthy joints. It also contributes to the normal functioning of the body. Daily intake maintains our three doshas: vata, pitta, and kapha. Shallaki contains anti-inflammatory properties that are helpful for sciatic pain caused by herniated discs. Curcumin promotes the healing process.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
2. YOGRAJ GUGGUL
It is a dietary supplement. The ingredients of Yograj Guggulu are Shudh Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), Pippali (Piper longum), Jeeraka (Cuminum cyminum), Devdaru (Cedrus deodara), Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Mustaka (Citrus rotundus), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), etc. Useful for muscle and joint pain, joint stiffness, sciatic nerve pain, etc. caused by a herniated disc. It is given for herniated discs because it also balances the vata dosha. Shuddha Guggulu is used to reduce joint inflammation. Chitrak rejuvenates the body and is used as a Rasayana. It is used to suppress the doshas Vata and Kapha. Pippali is used as an analgesic. Jeeraka is best used as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory. Devdaru normalises kapha and vata. It has an anti-inflammatory effect, and due to this property, it heals wounds quickly.
DOSAGE: 1-2 tablets twice or thrice daily with lukewarm water.
3. HAKAM CHURNA
It is a polyherbal churna. It consists of Chandrashoor (Lepidium sativum), Kalonji (Nigella sativa), Methi (Trigonella foenumgraecum), and Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi). It is recommended for digestive health. It is used to reduce inflammation. Helps with chronic diseases such as sciatica, osteoarthritis, and cervical spondylitis caused by herniated discs. It is prescribed to patients because it relieves pain associated with herniated discs. Chandrashoor is a rich source of calcium that accelerates bone healing. Kalonji has a potent analgesic effect that can reduce sciatica pain naturally. Methi is used to reduce weight as it is a cause of disc herniation. Ajwain is used as an analgesic, and it also cures wounds.
Dosage: Take 3-5 g of the powder twice a day with hot water.
4. AAMVATANTAK CHURNA
Aamvatantak churna is a polyherbal churna consisting of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), etc. ingredients. It relieves pain, tenderness, and inflammation of the joints. It maintains metabolism and digestion and supports healthy joints. It strengthens the immune system. Ashwagandha relieves pain and promotes tissue healing and strengthens tissues.
Dosage: 1 teaspoon with warm water twice a day after a meal. Can also be taken with aloe vera juice.
5. MAHA TRIPHALA GHRIT
Maha Triphala Ghrit is a poly-therapeutic Ayurvedic formulation. In this formulation, ghrit is used as a base. Maha Triphala Ghrit is prepared with various effective herbs, namely Kwath Dravya (Triphala), Swarasa Dravya (Bhringraj, Shatavari, Amalaki, etc.), and Lime Dravya (Munnaka, Mulethi, Choti Kateri, Cow’s Ghee, Guduchi, etc.). It helps with pain and pressure. Ghrit is the best remedy for Vata Vyadhi, as it is known to cause Brihan in the body.
Dosage: 1 teaspoon twice daily after a meal with warm water or as directed by a physician.
97% of herniated discs can be cured by natural means, such as remedies or panchakarma therapy. No surgical intervention is required. Planet Ayurveda offers the best combination pack of disc care products, which includes Boswellia Curcumin, Yograj Guggul, Hakam Churna, Aamvatantak Churna, and Maha Triphala Ghrit. It maintains healthy joint function. It balances the three main doshas (vata, pitta, and kapha) in the body.