The repeated pressure and tension on the 5th metatarsal (bone of feet) bottom growth plate give rise to Iselin disease. It causes a painful inflammatory condition. In children, the bones started growing from areas known as growth plates. This growth plate is composed of cartilage that is softer and is more prone to injuries than mature bones in the body. The growth plate acts as an attachment site for plantar fascia and peroneus brevis muscle.
This disease is more common in children between the ages of 8 to 13 years. Mostly boys are affected as compared to girls. The children that participate in basketball, gymnastics, soccer, and dance can develop this disease. Children having flat feet or feet with high arches are at higher risk of developing this disease.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Iselin Disease?
The Signs and Symptoms of This Disease are Mentioned Below:
- The appearance of pain along the outer edge of the foot that gets worsened while performing an activity. It gets improved with proper rest.
- Presence of lump on the affected area.
- Swelling, redness, and pain while touching the skin overlies in the growth center area.
- The affected child usually walks inside of the affected part of the foot.
What are the Causes of Iselin Disease?
- The jumping and running cause pressure on the forefoot.
- Tight calf muscles cause Iselin disease as it increases the tension on the growth plates.
- This disease is caused by an injury, tension, and repetitive pressure at the base of the fifth metatarsals.
How Iselin Disease is Diagnosed?
The diagnosis of this disease is made by physical examination and clinical presentation. X-ray is done that shows the widened chondro-osseous junction and an enlarged apophysis with disordered apophysis.
Home Remedies for Iselin Disease
- Apply cold compress or ice for ten to fifteen minutes every day. It will reduce inflammation, pain, and swelling.
- You can also use hot and cold compress simultaneously. Firstly, apply a hot compress for five minutes after that use a cold compress for five minutes over the affected area. Repeat these five times a day.
- Take a bucket of lukewarm water, add alum in it. Now dip your feet in it for ten to twenty minutes. This remedy gives good results in swelling and pain.
- Massage the affected area with lukewarm sesamum oil. After that dip your feet in the lukewarm water that contains Epsom salt. Do this procedure for twenty minutes for reducing pain and swelling.
- Gently massage your affected feet with mustard oil. It will give effective results in this disease.
- Drinking turmeric milk will reduce the painful condition. It will also reduce painful conditions.
The Preventive Measures for Iselin Disease
- Always wear comfortable shoes as it will reduce pain in your feet.
- While doing any type of exercise, jogging, cycling does perform a proper warm-up. It will increase the blood circulation in the cold part of your muscles. Thus, it can put less tension and stress on the affected areas.
- If you are having excessive pain then do avoid playing games and other activities as it can cause more injury or pain in the affected areas.
- Do perform a stretch known as heal cord. In this stretch keep your leg straight with heel on the floor. After that turn it slightly outward. Lean yourself into the wall till you feel stretch in the calf. Hold this for thirty seconds. Repeat this for two to three times a day.
- Stretching exercises help a lot in Iselin disease condition.
Natural Treatment for Iselin Disease
Ayurveda plays an important role in dealing with any type of disease. Iselin disease occurs due to excessive growth of asthi Dhatu in the body. The imbalance of three doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) is also responsible for Iselin disease. In Ayurveda, there are numerous herbs that not only deal with the signs and symptoms of this disease but also deal with the root cause of the disease. Planet Ayurveda offers Ashwagandha capsules, Yograj guggul, and Boswellia curcumin for the proper treatment of this disease.
1. Ashwagandha Capsules
These are the capsules that have been prepared from the herb known as “Ashwagandha”. The botanical name of this herb is “Withanina somnifera”. Ashwagandha capsules give effective results in Iselin disease. It deals with the nervine weakness, pain, and inflammatory conditions related to this disease. These capsules are best for the whole nervous system. Regular use of these capsules gives very effective results.
Dosage: One to two capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Yograj Guggul
These are classical herbal tablets used since ancient times for painful conditions. Yograj guggul tablets have been prepared from ingredients like Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), Pippalimool (Piper longum), Devdaru (Cedrus deodara), Chavya (Piper chaba), Yavani (Trachyspermum ammi), Saindhava lavana (Rock salt), etc. The daily usage of these capsules reduces all the signs and symptoms related to Iselin disease.
Dosage: Take two tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Boswellia Curcumin
As these capsules are made from the extract of two herbs Boswellia (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa) that give good results in Iselin disease. Curcumin is also known as Haridra. Boswellia is also called as Shallaki.
हरिद्रा कटुका तिक्ता रुक्षोष्ण कफपित्तनुत।
वर्ण्या त्वगदोषमेहास्त्रशोथपाण्डुव्रण ा पहा (भा। प्र हरितक्यादिवर्ग १९७ )
This shloka represents that Haridra is Katu and Tikta in taste. It is hot in potency. The herb balances Kapha and pitta dosha. Haridra improves and strengthens complexion. This herb is beneficial in skin diseases, diabetes, edema, anemia, and wound healing.
शल्लकी तुवरा शीता पित्तश्लेष्मातिसारजित।
रक्तपित्तव्रणहरी पुष्टिकृत्समुदीरिता। (भा। प्र २० )
This shloka represents that herb Shallaki is cold in nature, balances pitta and Kapha. The herb is beneficial in Raktpitta, wounds, blood disorders. It provides nourishment to the body.
These two herbs in combination have anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-oxidant, etc properties. Usage of these capsules reduces pain, swelling, redness, and inflammation.
Dosage: Take one to two capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.