Osteomalacia is a bone disease marked by softening of the bones due to deficiency of Vitamin D in the body. Vitamin D helps the body to absorb calcium which is needed to strengthen and harden bones. Osteomalacia is a disease that weakens bones, leading to bones breaking down faster than it can reform. It is a disorder of decreased mineralization.
In small children, it is referred to as rickets and may lead to bowing during growth, while in older adults, it can lead to fractures.
Osteomalacia is different from Osteoporosis which is a bone-thinning disorder.
There are various reasons why some people experience a lack of Vitamin D in their body. Some of the most common reasons include limited sun exposure (staying indoors or wearing clothes to cover the skin), have dark skin pigmentation, use of very strong sunscreen, follow a vegetarian diet and do not consume milk products, the diet that lacks phosphates, lactose intolerant.
Conditions like cancer, kidney failure, liver disease, digestive disorder, celiac disease, acidosis also lead to osteomalacia. Rare genetic conditions may also cause osteomalacia.
Symptoms of Osteomalacia
- There is no visible symptom in the early stages of Osteomalacia.
- The most common symptom of Osteomalacia is the pain in the bones (lower back, pelvis, legs, ribs, and hips). Pain is more in the night and may leave a burning sensation.
- There are bone fractures without any real injury and muscle weakness, Stiffness in joints and tiredness.
- Patients have difficulty in walking and standing up. Decrease muscle tone and leg weakness causes a waddling gait.
- Patient experience numbness around the mouth, tingling of arms and legs, cramps of the hands or feet.
Diagnosis of Osteomalacia
- Blood work is done to check for Vitamin D, calcium, phosphate, creatinine, and thyroid levels.
- X-rays and bone density test are performed to detect bone loss and bone softening.
- In some cases, bone biopsy is also done to see if bone softening is present.
Treatment of Osteomalacia in Ayurveda
Increasing calcium and phosphorus intake and getting enough vitamin D helps in curing Osteomalacia with time. Ayurveda aims at a holistic approach to healing. According to Ayurveda, the imbalance of Vata dosha /energy and dis-functioning of the Asthivahastrotas or channels that supply nutrients to the bones leads to Osteomalacia.
Planet Ayurveda offers an effective treatment to manage and cure Osteomalacia. It offers 100 percent pure, natural, vegetarian products, which are free from any kind of chemicals, additives, and preservatives to give best results in the treatment. These products are listed below
1. Coral Calcium Complex
Coral Calcium Complex as the name suggests is a great source of natural calcium. They are prepared using ingredients Parval Pishti, Akik Pishti, Jawar Mohra Pishti, Kamdhudha Ras, Mukta Pishti, and Giloy Satva. All these combined together makes Coral Calcium Complex one of the best formulas for bone density and strength. This product regulates the calcium, phosphorus and bone metabolism and helps in managing osteomalacia effectively.
The recommended dosage of Coral Calcium Complex for Osteomalacia treatment is one capsule two times a day with plain water.
2. Bone Support Formula
Bone support formula as the name suggests is again a natural way to strengthen bones. It is prepared using ingredients like SudhaLaksha, Suhanjana Been, Had job, Arjun, PravalPishti, and Mukta. All these make Bones support formula an excellent way to treat osteomalacia.
Hadjod or Cissus Quadrangularis is a very effective herb in speeding up the fracture healing process. It helps in promoting calcium deposition and retention in bones. It can be consumed by boiling some fresh stems of the herb in a cup of water for a few minutes, straining it and drinking the solution once a day.
The bark of Arjuna tree has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in reducing pain and strengthening the bones. Arjun tea may be prepared at home, using the bark of Arjuna and boiling it in water for a few minutes. It can be taken twice a day.
The recommended dosage of Bone Support Formula for Osteomalacia treatment is two capsules twice a day with plain water.
3. Green Essentials
Green Essentials from Planet Ayurveda is a rich source of vitamins and minerals, especially iron for tissue repair and blood formation. The product is prepared using ingredients like grape seed, wheat grass, green tea, spirulina, and amla. It is very beneficial in treating osteomalacia as the medicine nourishes the cells completely and provides much-needed energy.
The recommended dosage of Green Essentials for Osteomalacia treatment is one capsule two times a day with plain water, preferably after meals.
4. Boswellia Curcumin
- Boswellia Curcumin offered by Planet Ayurveda is one of the excellent products for the treatment of osteomalacia. It is prepared using anti-inflammatory and analgesic herbs like Shallaki and Curcumin to support healthy The products help in improving the flexibility of the joints as it increases circulation to the joints. It also helps in relieving pain and swellings associated with osteomalacias like the pain in back, legs, hips and other parts.
- The recommended dosage of Boswellia Curcumin for Osteomalacia is one capsule two times a day with plain water.
- Guggul products are also very useful in removing ama from the body. Guggul paste may be applied directly on to the joints for quick relief from the pain.
- Regular blood tests are done to monitor blood levels of phosphorous and calcium.
- Certain herbs are helpful in treating Osteomalacia.
- Tea prepared from Dandelion roots is an effective treatment for Osteomalacia. It is anti-inflammatory and helps to detoxify the body. The tea may be consumed twice a day.
- Natural sources of Vitamin D include eggs, salmon, sardines, fish oils, and milk and milk products like yogurt and cheese. These should be included in the daily diet. Include soybeans, lentils, chickpeas, beans in a diet. It is highly recommended to quit smoking, avoid over-consumption of alcohol and avoid soda
- It is very important to exercise regularly to keep bones strong.
- A warm bath with some oat straw in it helps in relieving muscle spasm. Oat straw is a good source of calcium and magnesium and is very helpful in curing osteomalacia.