Congenital anomalies become more common nowadays. These anomalies play an important factor in the death of infants and childhood or chronic illness and permanent disability. Congenital anomalies are also known as birth defects. These are structural and functional anomalies that occur during the intrauterine period. The trend of genetic disorder is increasing day by day. This is the common cause of thousands of deaths associated with babies. These birth defects may result in physical, intellectual or developmental disabilities. One of the congenital anomalies is Galloway mowat syndrome. In this article we will discuss this disease and its causes, symptoms and line of management.
Galloway mowat syndrome is a rare genetic disorder. This is an autosomal recessive disease characterized by various developmental and physical abnormalities. This is a rare neurodegenerative disorder. This condition has been present since birth. In this syndrome there is a presence of triad that is microcephaly, hiatal hernia and nephritic syndrome. This disease was first described in the medical literature in 19681. Additional reports of this syndrome showed that those who are suffering from this condition also have neurological manifestations as the main characteristic. Normally children do not survive beyond the first few years of life.
- The exact genetic cause of this syndrome is yet to be discovered. This is an autosomal recessive disorder which means two copies of defective genes are required in this syndrome or to be born with this syndrome.
- Gene such as LAGE is associated with X-linked inheritance of Galloway Mowat syndrome.
Clinical Features/Signs and Symptoms
The child who is suffering from this syndrome generally show these following symptoms or we can say that the cardinal features of this syndrome are:
- Hiatal hernia
- Nephritic syndrome
Other Symptoms Include
- Delayed milestones
- Digestion problems
- Kidney stones
- Altered urine flow
- Ocular abnormalities
- This syndrome can be diagnosed after birth by thorough physical examination and clinical evaluation and some specialized lab tests (genetic testing such as genetic testing registry).
- Detailed imaging techniques such as MRI of the brain may reveal specific abnormalities which are seen in this syndrome such as small cerebellum.
- Treatment is directed to symptoms that are different in every individual. In this disease pediatrician, kidney specialist, gastroenterologist and neurologist may need to work together.
- For nephrotic syndrome a low sodium diet with low levels of protein and vitamins supplementation should be given. The edema in nephrotic syndrome may be treated with diuretics drugs to promote excretion of urine. Other treatment procedures are antibiotics and corticosteroids. But a permanent treatment is not available for this disease.
Treatment of Galloway Mowat Syndrome in Ayurvedic View
The line of treatment for this disease includes:
- Use of herbs which enhance the kidney functions and provide strength to the kidneys
- Herbs that strengthen the nervous system
- Drugs which stimulates digestive fire and improves digestion
- Dhatu poshaka drugs which means the formulation which provides adequate nourishment to the child
Herbal Remedies for Galloway Mowat Syndrome By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides some herbal formulation for this disease as this is a leading herbal manufacturing company. It manufactures various herbal products which are 100% natural and vegetarian and made under the guidance of experts Ayurvedic physicians. These herbal products are made from standardized extracts of potential herbs. These are duly processed, purified and formulated according to ancient tested formulas.
The herbal products of Planet Ayurveda for this syndrome are:
1. Punarnava Mandur
This formulation is effective in water retention and pedal edema conditions. This is the natural solution to clear toxins from the body. These are natural herbal diuretic tablets. This is effective in improving blood count, removing toxins, decreasing urea and creatinine. This herbal formulation purifies blood. This formulation is made from pure extracts of: Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Shunti (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longum), Maricha (Piper nigrum) and various other herbs.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice after meals with plain water.
2. Reno Plan Syrup
This is a herbal formulation for kidney purification. This is an effective ayurvedic combination of herbs useful for kidney health. The herbs like punarnava, gokshura, bhumi amla, pine bark extract and trapush are useful as natural diuretics and natural antioxidants. This formulation is made from standardized extracts of following herbs:Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa),Bhumiamla (Phyllanthus niruri), Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), Kaasni (Cichorium intybus), Trapush (Cucumis sativus) etc.
Dosage: 2 teaspoon twice a day after meals with plain water.
3. Kumar Kalyan Ras
This is a herbo-mineral composition. This is the best herbal product for child disorders. This formulation is used in this syndrome because of its dhatu poshak properties (provides nutrition to the body tissues). It enhances the immune system and nourishes the various body tissues. This formulation is made from following extracts:Kumari Rasa (Aloe vera’s juice extract), Shuddha Parada (Purified Mercury), Abhraka Bhasma (Purified and processed Mica), Mukta Bhasma (Calx of Pearl) and some other herbs.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice a day after feeding (to be chewed or crushed)
4. Neuro Plan Syrup
This formulation recharging the neurons. It is helpful in strengthening the nervous system. it gives strength to the nerve cells and helps in their internal coordination. It balances the three doshas. It is very useful for general weakness of the nerves. This formulation is made from following extracts of: Brahami (Baccopa monnieri), Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Jyotishmati (Celastrus paniculata), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Bhurjpatra (Betula utilis) and numerous other herbs.
Dosage: 1 teaspoonful twice a day after meals with plain water.
5. Digesto Plan Syrup
This is an ayurvedic remedy to improve your digestion. This syrup balances the toxins and stops the fermentation process going on in the intestines. This formulation is made from standardized extracts of following herbs:Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Maricha (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum), Jeerak (Cuminum cyminum) etc.
Dosage: 1 tsf twice a day after meals with plain water.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
It is a very rare neurodegenerative disease that affects the multiple organs of the body. There is no definite treatment for this condition in modern science, so avoid giving steroids to your child which have its own hazardous effects. Use of herbal products is the best alternative for Galloway mowat syndrome.