Giardiasis is a parasitic water borne ailment which is manifested due to the overconsumption of contaminated water and unhygienic food articles. This infection is caused by the parasite known as Giardia lamblia, and is the commonest water borne disorder characterized by abdominal cramps, watery diarrhea, nausea, bloating and weight loss like features. Though the incubation period of the parasite varies in person to person i.e. the parasite remains in dormant state in the body and waits for any immune deficient condition or the favorable conditions for the growth of the parasite and its multiplications. Dehydration, malnutrition in children, and lactose intolerance are the common potential complications associated with Giardiasis particularly in children.
Larrea tridentata- A Maxican herb
This herb, also known as Creosote bush, is the native plant of Mexico, which belongs to the Zygophallaceae family of wild shrubs. Larrea tridentata is the shrub which is evergreen having 1-3 m tall and can reach upto 4 m. This shrub grows in the desert areas of the southwestwen United states, North Mexico, and South America.
Chemical Constituents of Larrea tridentata include the nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA), the flavonoids as sulfated flavonoids, as water-soluble glycosides, as non-water-soluble aglycones. The other constituents of this herb include the volatile oils, sterols, triterpene saponin, wax, ester and other hydrocarbons.
This shrub has multiple therapeutic values because of its antifungal, antibacterial, anti-tumor, anti-parasite, emetic-like important medicinal properties. This shrub helps in treating the many cardiovascular disorders, cancers, HIV, neurological disorders and immune system related disorders. This herb is a well known mexican herb used in the Treatment of Giardiasis. This shrub is the rich source of secondary metabolites that shows multiple antiparasitic activities against the three most common pathogens responsible for giardiasis i.e. Giardia lamblia, Entamoeba histolytica and N. fowleri.
As per Ayurveda
Ayurveda, being the oldest Science of medicines has its roots in India, originated from Vedas (ancient literatures), has many herbal based formulations for the maintenance of health of healthy people and for the treatment of ailments since ages. The condition of Giardiasis- a parasitic infestation is best related in Ayurveda with the Krimi roga.
Concept of Giardiasis-parasitic infestations (Krimi roga) in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, the supreme digestive fire i.e. jatharagni is responsible for the maintenance of the digestion process and pacification of the toxins. The Jataharagni in normal state plays a main role in restricting the accumulation of metabolites (free radicals and endotoxins). But due to disturbed personal hygiene or overconsumption of contaminated food and water may lead to the weakening of the digestive fire which results in the undigested food which promotes the formation of ama (endotoxins), which provide the adequate environment for the various harmful parasites to reside in the abdomen and manifest the features of Krimi roga (Giardiasis).
The main aim of treatment is to restrict the formation of these ama (non- processed metabolites) that is leading to the pain and other manifestations in Giardiasis and make the environment of the belly unsuitable for the survival of these harmful parasites.
There are several herbal formulations indicated to treat the krimi roga, out of which Mahashankh Vati and Sanjivani vati are having better results than Larrea tridentata. These two formulations are made up of multiple herbs and few detoxified minerals obtained from natural sources.
Let’s discuss the ingredients, benefits and therapeutic uses of these two formulations in detail.
1. Mahashankh Vati
Mahashankh Vati is the best Ayurvedic remedy for the various abdominal discomfort such as indigestion, abdominal bloating and pain in abdomen etc. The herbs present as ingredients in these formulations have multiple properties like analgesic, appetizer, antipyretic, and anti-rheumatic etc.
The ingredients of Mahashankh vati
The ingredients of Mahashankh vati includes the herbs having hot potency such as
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Hingu (Ferula asafoetida)
These herbs will help in stimulation of the weakened digestive fire which makes the digestion better and make the environment of the gut unsuitable for the living of the harmful parasites, the enhanced digestion will slows down or eliminates the formation of ama (endotoxins), that promotes the speedy recovery of the diseases. Also these herbs are having the analgesic effects and help in pacifying even the cramping of pricking abdominal pain.
- The other ingredients includes the lavan panchak (five types of salts) i.e. Vida lavan (Black salt), Samudra lavan (Common salt), Saindhav lavan (Rock salt), Audhbidh lavan (Earthen salt), and Sauvarchal salt (mineral salt), along with Chincha (Tamarindus indica)- these salts along with tamarind helps in digestion, appetizer. These help in removing the excess gas accumulation from the stomach and thus help in bloating and gas related disorders.
- Amla (Emblica officinalis) is another ingredient which has rejuvenating properties and helps as an immunomodulator helping in making the immune system better for preventing the various parasitic infestations.
- Saikharika (alkaline extract of Achyranthes aspera) helps in expelling the aggravated doshas by its antimicrobial and antiparasitic action.
- Shudha Vatsnabh (detoxified form of Aconitum ferox), is used for its antipyretic properties and helps in treating the various infectious fever related conditions associated with worm infestations.
- The mineral ingredients of this formulation includes the Gandhak (detoxified and processed form of sulphur), Shankh bhasma (Clax of conch shell), Rasa (purified form of mercury), these mineral medicines have the property to catalyse the action of the herbal medicines along with it to show a fast and pronounced action of the medicine.
It has also been indicated in a variety of ailments including indigestion, malabsorption, abdominal pain, piles, acidity, bloating, irritable bowel syndrome, dyspepsia, and other worm infestations. This tablet maintains the adequate balance of tridosha by pacifying the aggravated vata and pitta dosha. It possesses stomachic, carminative, and digestive properties which makes it the perfect medication to be used in the treatment of Giardiasis.
2. Sanjivani Vati
Sanjivani Vati is the ancient formulation that helps in the ignition of the digestive fire and helps in the elimination of the accumulated toxins out of the system to provide the abdomen a healthy environment.
The ingredients of this formulation include
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes) and Vacha (Acorus calamus), which are considered as the best anti-parasitic medications used since ages. This action will help in killing the parasites, deworming the gut and enhancing the growth of healthy gut flora.
- Shuddha bhallataka (purified Semecarpus anacardium) along with shuddha vatsanabha (detoxified Aconitum ferox) helps in reducing the temperature of the body by their antipyretic property, and helps in ignition of the digestive fire that aids in the pacification of the excessive dosha.
- The role of Shunthi (Zingiber officinale) and Pippali (Piper longum) is well known due to its hot potency, these helps in improving the digestive fire and analgesic effects helps in decreasing the pain in Giardiasis and other worm infestations.
- Further, the Triphala included in the formulation i.e. Haritaki (Terminilia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica) and Amalaki (Embilia officinalis), has the therapeutic purgative actions, helps in detoxification of the gut , the dead worms, the unprocessed metabolites (free radicals and other endotoxins etc), which will make the environment of the abdomen well.
At last the immunomodulatory function of Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), adds up to functions of the formulation. This will help in improving the immunity and pacify the excess of the vitiated dosha.
Planet Ayurveda is The Herbal Based Manufacturing Unit That Formulates the Herbal or Herbomineral Medications with Strict Adherence to Ancient Ayurvedic Texts and Formulations.
These both formulations, i.e. Sanjivani Vati and Mahashankh Vati are available with us in tablet form and made from the 100% natural ingredients and formulated using the ancient time tested formulas.
In a nutshell, Sanjivani Vati and Mahashankh Vati due to the effective synergetic effect of the multiple herbs is the best remedy for the Treatment of Giardiasis. It is a lot more effective and easily available than the Mexican herb Larrea tridentata.