We as humans want to have clear skin while being free from any kind of skin disorder. There are certain disorders that affect the mental attitude of a person when they start affecting the outer physique of a person. In this article we are also going to study a similar skin related ailment known as ‘erythema dischromicum perstans”. Ayurveda uses principal treatment of panchakarma therapy that has great results in removing harmful toxins from the body. So let’s start discussing this in more detail.
It is an acquired macular form of hyper pigmentation of skin tissue characterized by formation of properly circumscribed round to oval irregular patches on the face, neck and other parts of the body. It is an acquired disease that occurs due to the presence of various etiological factors in our surroundings. It is a skin disorder that is popularly known as “ashy dermatosis” as the skin patches are an ashy gray color in appearance.
Ayurvedic Overview of Erthema Dischromicum Perstans
According to Ayurveda we can correlate it with a type of kushtha roga. Generally there are two types of kushtha depending upon the disease severity. First type is maha kushtha and the other one is kshudra kushtha. Kushtha is known as an aupsargika roga (infectious disorder) and is included in ashtamahagad roga (one of a type in eight serious ailments). As per ayurveda in each and every skin disease, there is a change in colour and texture of the skin surface. There is an involvement of sapta dushya (seven affected basic elements of our body- vata, pitta, kapha, twacha (skin), rakta (blood), mamsa (muscle tissue) and lasika (fluid element) and it may penetrate deep into the deeper skin tissue.
These are the main causes (nidan as per ayurveda) that results in formation of an ailment.
- Presence of skin infection particularly fungal in origin.
- History of allergy to certain substances and food articles.
- Excessive exposure to harmful radiations.
- Hereditary involvements.
- Exposure to harmful chemicals.
In Ayurveda the cause of kushtha roga includes-
- When a person consumes virudh anna-panna (unhealthy food)
- Intake of excessive amounts of liquid and bulky food articles.
- Control natural urges of vomit and defecation (stool) for longer duration.
- After eating ‘guru ahaar” (heavy food) in excess amounts, indulge themselves in heavy physical activities.
- If a person doesn’t follow the proper dietary regime, sometimes they eat cold food articles and then immediately after that consume hot food items.
- After coming from excess sun exposure if a person immediately drinks cold water.
- When a person consumes food even after having the problem of indigestion.
- When they don’t follow the proper do and don’ts guidelines after going through the detoxification procedure.
- Consume excessive amounts of new edible items (which are freshly obtained from their natural sources such as fresh wheat, corn), curd, fish, sesame oil, salty and sour food.
- Who eats heavy meals in the afternoon and then goes to sleep at noon.
- Those indulge themselves in sinful tasks or make fun of their teachers (guru) and elders.
Prodromal Symptoms (Purvarupa)
It includes the complaints that patient suffers before the onset of main lakshan (means the sign/symptoms)
- Ati svedan (Over Sweating)
- Asvedan (no sweating)
- Twak parushay (skin become hard and dry in texture)
- Akasmat romharsh (formation of Goosebumps in excess amount)
- Vevarnay (discoloration of skin)
- Kandu (excessive itching)
- Suptata (numbness)
- Sparsh nash( loss of sensation)
- Koth (formation of rashes)
- Twak soth (skin inflammation)
- Shram (fatigue)
- Kalam (malaise)
- Wounds took prolonged time to heal properly.
- Blackish appearance of blood.
Sign & Symptoms
It means the general complaints along with which patients present in front of the physician. In erythema dischromium perstans following below listed symptoms are seen:
- Presence of dark ashy or grayish colored discoloration over the skin.
- Sometimes redness is seen over the affected area.
- Presence of discomfort over the area associated with the lesions.
- Irregular patches over the skin.
- Excessive thirst.
- Anorexia (loss of appetite).
- Fatigue and malaise.
It includes the common diagnostic approaches we use to identify the disease.
- Through proper clinical evaluation of the patient by using following below listed techniques:
- Thorough and detailed history taking.
- Ruling out family history.
- Skin biopsy
- Blood investigations.
As per Ayurveda:
We can use the following below listed treatment modalities in patients suffering from erythema dischromicum perstans. In our ancient classical text following references are there, that shows how Ayurveda has achieved wonderful results in patients suffering from this type of skin disorders.
Sushruta Chikitsa 9/43
Acharya sushrut had mentioned the ideal treatments we need to use in patients suffering from any type of kushtha roga are as follow:
- On the interval of 3-3 days use- nasya karma (medicated nasal herb inhalation),
- After the gap of 15-15 day’s use- therapeutic emesis procedure, in this excess amount of kapha dosha has been released from the oral route by inducing emesis with the help of herbal medicines.
- At the gap of 1-1months we need to use purgation to release out vitiated pitta dosha from the body with the help of stool from anal route.
- Once in every six months we need to use bloodletting procedure, in this pacified rakta along with other vitiated dosha has been taken out with the help of jaloka (leech), shring (animal horns), alabu (gourd) or any other surgical instruments.
According to the above mentioned shloka- After seeing the dominance of particular dosha we can use the following below listed therapies:
- If Vata dosha is elevated- use ‘ghritpan’ (oral intake of ghee)
- If Pitta dosha is raised- use raktamokshan (bloodletting procedure) & Virechan (excreting out harmful toxins through stool from the anal route).
- In case of Kapha predominance kustha- vaman karma (emesis is induced by giving herbal medicine to the patient).
Beside these two above mentioned shlokas in which there is a detailed reference of use of panchakarma therapy in erthema dischromicum perstans we need to start oral medications to subside remaining left out toxins within the body itself. For that we can use herbal formulations of planet Ayurveda as they are completely safe and organic in nature thus showing great results in such types of skin disorders.
Ayurvedic Herbal Remedies by Planet Ayurveda
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Kaishore Guggul
- Gleaming Skin, Hair, Nails Formula
- Youth Restora Capsule
- Manjishtha Capsule
- Recumin Gel
1. Gandhak Rasayan
This herbal formulation contains shuddha gandhak (purified and detoxified sulphur). Gandhak is known for its tremendous benefits on skin functioning. It has great anti-bacterial, antibacterial and antiviral properties. It is known for its tremendous health benefits on attaining healthy skin.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Kaishore Guggul
This herbal formulation contains medicinal herbs such as Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Vidang (Embelia ribes), Kali mirch (Piper nigrum) etc. Herbs present in these formulations help in purifying blood by taking out harmful toxins from it. Some herbs are enriched with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties thus it helps in healthy wound healing and thus shows great results in erythema dischromicum perstans.
Dosage– 1-2 tablets two times in a day with plain water after meals.
3. Gleaming Skin, Hair, Nails Formula
This herbal formulation is made up of natural herbs that contain great antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It also enhances skin functioning by excreting out harmful impurities from the blood. Herbs formulated in this medicine are enriched with various important micro and macro nutrients that help in rejuvenating the skin and also enhance the skin complexion. It contains herbs such as manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia), Pit pada (Fumaria officinalis), Chirayita (Swertia chirata) and Ghrit Kumari (Aloe barbadensis).
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Youth Restora Capsules
This herbal formulation contain potent blend of various herbs such as Bhumi amla (Phyllanthus niruri), Grape seed (Vitis vinifera), Green tea (Camellia sinensis) and Cow colostrums (Bovine colostrums). All these herbs have cooling effects on the skin thus it will help in reducing the itching and burning sensation present in erythema dischromicum perstans.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals
5. Manjishtha Capsules
This herbal capsule contains pure extract of manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia). This herb is clinically proven as the best blood purifier due to the active principles present in it. It helps in removing harmful toxins from the blood. It also helps in keeping the digestive tract and the whole gut free from harmful toxins thus proven as a great choice in erythema dischromicum perstans.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals
6. Recumin Gel
This recumin gel formulation of planet ayurveda contains haridra (Curcumin longa), Neem (Azadirachta indica leaves, bark and fruit), guggul (Commiphora mukul) etc. It is a blend of various herbs that helps in attaining healthy skin functioning as they help in detoxifying the blood channels. Thus this gel proved as a great choice in erythema dischromicum perstans.
Dosage: Apply locally over the affected part.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
In conditions like erythema dischromicum perstans if we follow the procedures mentioned in our classical text then we can surely reduce the prevalence rate of this kind of skin disorders. So choose “Planet Ayurveda”. We will help you in achieving this goal. It offers various herbal medicines and diet charts that will help you in dealing with erythema dischromicum perstans from its ground level. Our clinic is located at Mohali, Punjab. You can visit us directly at our clinic or can ask your query at our official email email@example.com.