Heart is the muscular, pumping organ of our body that is merely the size of a fist but is capable of pumping the entire blood to the network of arteries and veins spreaded in our body. The sedentary lifestyle and the consumption of processed food has made the heart vulnerable to a lot of cardiac pathologies. Atrial flutter is a cardiac pathology that runs the heart mad, with its functioning. The term ‘flutter’ was actually coined to designate the visual and tactile rapid, regular atrial contractions that are induced by faradic stimulation in animal hearts, unlike irregular, vermiform(worm like) contraction in atrial fibrillation (AF). This disease can prove to be really fatal if not diagnosed or treated properly. This condition is very complicated. It may be a disease in itself or may be just a symptom of some other associated disease. Sometimes, it has been reported entirely symptomless. This is why it becomes very necessary to understand the nature of this disease .This article discusses the causes, sign symptoms, diagnosis and the management of atrial flutter along with the Ayurvedic management protocols that can benefit this disease considerably.
Every year the US experiences 2 lac new cases . Men, elderly and the patients with the pre existing cardiac, pulmonary and thyroid ailments being the most vulnerable to this disease. It happens to be the second most common cardiac pathology after cardiac fibrillation.
Atrial flutter is a condition in which the auricles begin to beat too fast at the pace of 250 to 320 beats per minute and ventricles in order to cope up too start to beat at a higher pace of 150 beats per minute. In this pathological state the rate gets ( 2:1 ratio). Physiologically ,however the rate has to be 60 to 110 beats per minute for both auricles and ventricles. This disturbance with the rate of atrium causes abnormal heartbeat that is Atrial flutter. In this disease the rate of the atrium is altered however it still tends to remain regular. This makes it different from Atrial fibrillation in which the rate becomes faster as well as irregular.
- The main reason behind the Atrial flutter is the concept of “ Reentry mechanism” which further results in tachycardia.
- Atrial flutter becomes when there is a simultaneous existence of both slow and fast zone.(i.e. varied velocities)
- Altered refractory period
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Scarring as a result of previous cardiac ablation ( recurrence)
- Hormonal pathology( thyroid gland)
- Ischemia ( as a result of atherosclerosis)
- Sleep apnea
- Heart valve disorders
- Enlarged heart chambers( dilated or hypertrophy)
- Blood clot in lungs
- Increased intake of Caffeine, alcohol, stimulants
Sign and Symptoms
The patient of atrial flutter can totally be asymptomatic or may be suffering of symptoms such as-
- Shortness of breath
- Reduced exercise tolerance
- Embolic stroke
- Irregularly regular pulse
- Jugular vein distensión
- Crackles in lung fields
- Lower extremities edema ( due to congestion)
- ECG ( shows a saw tooth or picket fence appearance or flutter waves in ECG)
- Echocardiogram ( detects for any abnormality in the anatomical structure of the heart)
- Laboratory interventions( to check infection, anemia, hypoxia, thyroid pathology, electrolyte disturbance etc)
Atrial flutter on the basis of their causative factors are of two types-
- Type 1 or Typical atrial flutter – In this type the heart beats for 240 to 340 beats per minute. This is an organised atrial tachycardia that is located on the right atrium and is cured by a mere procedure of cardiac ablation through an outpatient department. The reentrant loop goes around the right atrium at cavotricuspid isthmus ( between tricuspid valve and inferior vena cava). This type has a further classification into:
“Counter clockwise” ( inverted ECG waves ) and “ clockwise”( Flutter waves in ECG are upright as the reentry cycle is in opposite direction )
- Atypical atrial flutter( clockwise) –This is more common in the left atrium;( 340 to 350 beats per minute ) and requires a cardiac ablation procedure which is a bit more complex. This type of atrial flutter is mainly associated with the people who have undergone a previous cardiac surgery or cardiac ablation.
This disease is managed by modern medicine via the use of medicines such as-
- Calcium channel blockers
- Anti arrhythmic drugs
- Beta blocker
- Blood thinners
- Ablation therapy
- Cardioversion ( uses electricity to get the heart ‘s rhythm back to normal)
Ayurveda however has a better approach for the same. Ayurveda considers the imbalance of doshas ( Vata, Pitta, Kapha) in the body as a causative factor for the same. It makes use of certain herbs that rejuvenate the heart and maintain its proper functioning.
Herbal Remedies for Atrial Flutter by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda has made use of the ancient wisdom and has come up with the very effective results against Atrial flutter.
Planet Ayurveda is a globally emerging herbal manufacturing hub that formulates herbomineral /herbal formulation that are obtained from 100% natural sources with strict adherence to ayurvedic texts and principles .These herbal medications are being made under strict vigilance and guidance of expert ayurvedic physician using ancient time tested formula.
- Arjuna Capsules
- Total Heart Support Capsules
- Saralghan Vati
- Arborium Plus Syrup
1. Arjuna Capsules
This formulation consists of standardized extract of Terminalia arjuna. This herb maintains the physiological circulation in our body thereby acting against cholesterol , toxins,angina , increased blood pressure and all other causative factors responsible for cardiovascular diseases.
Dosage- 1 capsules twice a day with plain water after meals
2. Total Heart Support Capsules
This formulation is composed of Arjuna ( Terminalia arjuna), Bhrami (Bacopa monnieri) , Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus prostratus) etc . This formulation relaxes stress, anxiety and the associated symptoms. Its action over the heart regulates its beating and prevents any coronary artery disease,congestive heart failure etc .
Dosage- 1 Capsules twice a day with plain water after meals
3. Saralghan Vati
This formulation is made up of Saral (Pinus roxburghii).This formulation helps the body eliminate toxins by its diuretic, diaphoretic, vermifuge, rubefacient properties. This formulation is an antiseptic and acts as a tonic for the general wellness of the body.
Dosage- 2 tablets twice a day with plain water after meals
4. Arborium Plus Syrup
This formulation is composed of Rhododendron Arboreum flower juice and Seabuckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) fruit juice mixed along with suitable preservatives. This medicine acts as antioxidants and is very beneficial in atherosclerosis, stroke, cardiovascular diseases that may be a cause to Atrial flutter.
Dosage- 2 tsp twice a day with plain water after meals
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Atrial flutter is a disease that can very effectively be managed by the Ayurvedic interventions mentioned above.Along with the formulations mentioned above inclusion of the holistic practises such as Yoga, exercise, pranayam is very beneficial for the management of the cardiac pathologies.The formulations mentioned above are for the generalised management of this disease. For the individual prescription according to one’s history , prakruti etc physician consultation is recommended.