What is Isaacs syndrome? Types, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Treatment
Neurological problems or disorders are defined as disorders affecting the brain, the nerves and spinal cord. Any biochemical, electrical abnormality or structural abnormality of the same results in a number of symptoms such as seizures, confusion, poor coordination, pain, paralysis, loss of sensation, delayed reflexes, muscle stiffness, etc. Isaacs Syndrome or neuromyotonia is one of the neurological disorders that can manifest in certain individuals. In the section below we shall see Isaacs syndrome in a little detail as well as its management in the traditional system of Ayurvedic medicine.
Isaacs syndrome is an uncommon neuromuscular problem that occurs due to the hyperexcitability and persistent firing of the peripheral nerve axons that enact muscle fibers/strands or it is a type of peripheral nerve hyperexcitability that causes unconstrained muscular movement because of repetitive action potentials of the motor unit of peripheral origin. Isaac syndrome is also known as neuromyotonia and Isaac-Merton syndrome. The Isaacs syndrome or Neuromyotonia can be hereditary and acquired. In Ayurveda, the condition can be related with vata vyadhi as the vata dosha governs all the body movements within. Vata dosha is responsible for all the neurological functions – sensory and motor. Further we will see what causes, symptoms and all about Isaacs syndrome in detail.
Onset of the condition is between 15 to 60 years of age and most individuals experience symptoms before 40 years of age.
- Acquired: Autoimmune mediated by antibodies against the neuromuscular junction.
- Paraneoplastic: However the exact cause is unknown. Autoreactive antibodies may be detected in various neurological disorders.
- Relapsing remitting
Signs and symptoms
- Muscle cramps
- Muscle stiffness – mostly prominent in the legs, face, neck, trunk and calves.
- Slow relaxation of the muscles
- Difficulty in walking
- Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Myokymia (quivering of muscle)
- Fasciculations (muscle twitching)
- Exercise intolerance
- Myoclonic jerks
- Speech and breathing can be affected in case of involvement of the laryngeal and pharyngeal muscles.
- Nerve conduction studies
- Chest CT
- Anticonvulsants provide relief from muscle spasms, pain and stiffness.
- Plasma exchange.
- Botox injections.
- Immunosuppressants such as Prednisone are quite beneficial in the condition but with not so ignorable side effects.
Ayurvedic aspect and management
- Ayurveda is a traditional system of Indian medicine that has been serving humanity from the ages. Ayurveda is a life science that not merely focuses on the management of certain diseases but also describes the daily regimen, food to be consumed and avoided according to the seasons. Ayurveda has mentioned about vata vyadhi (disorders related to vata dosha vitiation). Vata is responsible for all the motion and movements in and out of the body. As our body is made up of five elements and air is one of them. And this air element governs the body movements, sensations and motor functioning of the body. Air is directly compared with the vata (Vayu) dosha. And hence any vitiation of the vata dosha leads to the neurological symptoms including jerking movement, delayed motor reflexes, loss of sensation etc.
- In Isaacs syndrome, the neurological functions are hampered, which makes its comparison with vata vyadhi more obvious and well understood. Acharya Charak has given a detailed chapter in his textbook ‘Charak Samhita’. One of the subtypes of vayu known as ‘vyana vayu’ is particularly responsible for all the motor functioning. All the body is the seat of vyana vayu. Acharya Sushruta has called this vyana vayu as ‘sarvashareerchari’ meaning it roams everywhere inside the body. And Acharya Vagbhata has mentioned it as ‘maha vegvan’.
- Due to certain food habits and doings the vata dosha vitiates which hampers the muscular activity and results in painful contractions of the muscles with delayed response to the stimulus or no response at all.
- The condition can be managed with the aim to pacify the vitiated vata dosha.
- Massage with the oil and medicated enema is best to overcome the vitiated vata dosha symptoms.
- Swedana (sudation) is very beneficial in the patients diagnosed with vata vyadhi.
- Chitrakadi ghrita, baladi ghrita, errand tail, mahanarayan taila, nirgundi taila, pachmool taila, yavadi taila, sarvavataghan vishisht taila, shvadanshtra taila, rasna taila, ashwagandha taila, prasarni taila, atibala taila, rasna taila, amritadaya oil are some of the best preparation that effectively manages the condition of neuromyotonia.
- Dashmoola is the best medicine in Ayurveda that efficiently manages the vata dosha vitiation. Triphala, rasna (Pluchea lanceolata), mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), dalchini (Cinnamomum verum) , erand (Ricinus communis), guggulu (Commiphora mukul), sonth (Zingiber officinale) etc are some of the herbs that effectively corrects the vitiation of the vata dosha.
- Formulations that are available which benefits the individual suffering from Neuromyotonia are vata vidhwansan ras, yograj guggul, panchkol churna, rasraj ras, vatari guggulu, ashwagandharishta, dashmoolarishta, etc.
Herbal Remedies for Isaacs syndrome by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is an eminent GMP certified, ISO 9001:2015 certified and US-FDA registered Ayurvedic Company, which adheres to the objective of manufacturing quality Ayurvedic products as mentioned in a number of ancient texts of Ayurveda. Formulations are manufactured without additives and preservatives and other kinds of chemicals or artificial flavouring agents which can have a number of side effects on the human body. Products manufactured at Planet Ayurveda are pure and devoid of any kind of adulteration. The products are purely organic, vegetarian, gluten free and halal certified. Planet Ayurveda presents its product that effectively manages the condition of Isaacs syndrome.
Following is the list of formulations that are helpful in managing Isaacs syndrome
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
- ASHWAGANDHAGHAN VATI
- BRAHMI GHRIT
- VRIHAT VATCHINTAMANI RAS
- RASRAJ RAS
- MORINGA CAPSULES
1. BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
Boswellia Curcumin capsules are formulated with the herbs shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and haridra (Curcuma longa). Both the herbs possess antiinflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic properties. Boswellia Curcumin reduces the pain associated with neuromyotonia and also helps in the healing process of the injury related to nerves and muscles. Therefore, Boswellia Curcumin is beneficial in the condition of Isaacs syndrome.
Dosage : One capsule twice a day with plain water after meals.
2. ASHWAGANDHAGHAN VATI
Ashwagandhaghan Vati are enriched with the properties of the herb ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) which possesses rasayana properties. Ashwagandha contributes to the overall wellness by rejuvenating the body cells. Further it strengthens the muscles and helps in the demyelinating and degenerative conditions of the neurons. With this property it helps in alleviation of associated symptoms of Isaacs syndrome. Further it improves neurological impulses thus helps in proper movements and sensations. Moreover, ashwagandha pacifies the vata dosha. Due to all these properties, Ashwagandhaghan Vati is helpful in managing Isaacs syndrome.
Dosage : Two tablets twice a day with lukewarm water after meals.
3. BRAHMI GHRIT
Brahmi ghrita is a formulation prepared by processing the goghrita with particularly brahmi. The formulation balances the vata dosha and due to this it is helpful in managing Isaacs syndrome. It has Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), Kutha (Saussurea lappa) and Vacha (Acorus calamus).This ghrit preparation effectively balances the vitiated vata dosha in Isaacs Syndrome thus manages its various symptoms.
Dosage : One tsp twice a day after meals with warm water.
4. VRIHAT VATCHINTAMANI RAS
Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras is a classical ayurvedic mineral formulation. The ingredients of the formulation are Rajata Bhasma (silver calx), Swarna Bhasma (gold calx), Loha Bhasma (iron ash), Abhrak Bhasma (mica ash), Suta Bhasma (compound of purified mercury and purified sulphur), Mukta Bhasma (pearl calx) and Pravala Bhasma (coral calcium) and juice extract of Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis). It is helpful in demyelination conditions of nerves,useful in neuropathies and alleviates neurological pain. This rasa preparation helps in the delayed reflexes and also benefits in the condition of muscle spasms. As the name of the formulation suggests it miraculously pacifies the vitiated vata dosha condition. With these wonderful actions, Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras is a tremendous formulation in managing Isaacs syndrome.
Dosage : One tablet twice a day with plain water after meals.
5. RASRAJ RAS
Rasraj Ras is a classical herbomineral formulation. It is composed of parada (purified mercury), swarna (gold calx), rajat bhasma (calx of silver), loha bhasma (calx of iron), abhraka (purified silica), vanga (tin calx) and various others. It possesses antioxidant, analgesic, immune modulating and antiinflammatory properties. Rasraj Ras is a formulation that effectively manages the vata vyadhi. As the herbs and minerals provide immunity and also promote the wellness of the nervous and muscular system which further helps in proper coordination of the same. Therefore, it is helpful in Isaacs syndrome.
Dosage : One tablet once a day to be chewed with plain water after meals.
Vikramprash is a preparation available in jam form. This formulation is filled with the herbs Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Agnimantha (Premna mucronata), Syonak (Oroxylum indicum), Patla (Stereospermum suaveolens), Pippali (Piper longum), Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris) and many other herbs. These herbs promote the wellbeing of a person because it maintains the dosha levels within normal limits. Antioxidants present in the medicine slow down the aging process because it is rich in nutrients that rejuvenates body cells. Being fulfilled with the properties of rasayana, Vikramprash helps in boosting immunity that further benefits in conditions that are acquired such as Isaacs syndrome.
Dosage : One tsp twice a day with plain water after meals.
Telo-extension is a formulation prepared by Planet Ayurveda which helps in hereditary conditions. The herbs in the formulation are ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), draksha (Vitis vinifera), amla (Emblica officinale), moringa (Moringa oleifera), pine bark (Pinus longifolia), giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) and rose hip (Rosa indica). All the herbs pacify the vata dosha. By reaching the telomere it helps in protecting the genome information and thus helps in various genetic or hereditary conditions. As Isaacs syndrome is a hereditary condition as well thus it helps in managing the same and also prevent further transferring the abnormal genetic information to the offsprings.
Dosage : One capsule twice a day with plain water after meals.
8. MORINGA CAPSULES
Moringa capsules are filled with extract of shobhanjan (Moringa oleifera). Moringa is such a beautiful herb that pacifies vata dosha and also helps in the spastitic condition of the muscles. It also promotes good coordination of the muscles. It is beneficial in neurological conditions due to its vata pacifying properties. Therefore, it helps in Isaacs syndrome.
Dosage : One capsule twice a day with plain water after meals.
CONTACT PLANET AYURVEDA TO PROVIDE YOU THE COSTING / ORDERING AND DELIVERY INFORMATION AT – COSTING.PLANETAYURVEDA@GMAIL.COM OR CALL AT +91-172-5214040
Isaacs syndrome or neuromyotonia is a rare neurological disorder that occurs due to hereditary or acquired reasons and characterized by muscle spasms, pain, unusual muscle twitching etc. There is no known cure available in the modern system of medicine but there are medicines that alleviate the symptoms upto certain extent but it also hits the patient with some problematic side effects. Whereas Ayurveda has much to offer in this condition. The correlation of Isaacs syndrome is well established with vata vyadhi according to the pathogenesis of the condition and Ayurveda treats the condition from its root cause. Therefore by the pacification of the vitiated vata dosha, Ayurveda focuses on vata pacification which ultimately alleviates the symptoms of the condition. The products above mentioned are helpful in managing Isaacs syndrome with a positive outcome. Therefore, this condition can be completely managed with Ayurveda. Thus, choosing Ayurveda is much more beneficial because of its herbal properties and no side effects.