Mucormycosis, which is previously known as zygomycosis, is a serious yet rare fungal infection. The mucormycetes are the group of molds which are responsible for causing this infection. Mucormycosis generally affects people who are having health problems or are on medication, which usually work by lowering the body’s immunity or body’s ability to fight microbes and sickness. This condition is also termed as opportunistic infection. For mucormycosis, it is very important to get treatment as if left untreated this can prove fatal. In this article we will discuss mucormycosis, its causative agents, symptoms of mucormycosis infection and how it can be managed using Ayurvedic formulations.
The symptoms of mucormycosis depend on where in the body the infection occurs. The most commonly affected sites are nose, sinuses, eye, and even brain. This usually results in runny nose, unilateral facial swelling and pain, headache, fever and even blurring of vision. It can also affect other parts like lungs and stomach including intestine and skin. This is a type of anaerobic infection which can also happen when deep tissues get injured or get exposed. The most common conditions which diminish the body’s ability to fight diseases are HIV, AIDS, Diabetes mellitus (in case of uncontrolled glucose levels in the body), cancerous conditions, patients on chemotherapy and many others.
Classification of Mucormycosis Infection
Mucormycosis is classified into five main types according to the part of the body affected.
1. Sinuses and Brain (rhinocerebral)
Mostly in people with poorly controlled and uncontrolled diabetes. Also, people with kidney transplants can face the same situation.
2. Lungs (pulmonary)
Common in people with cancer or stem cell transplant.
3. Stomach and intestine (gastrointestinal)
Generally in the population who are among young premature and low birth weight category.
4. Skin (cutaneous)
After a severe burn or skin injury or in patients with leukaemia, poorly controlled diabetes, Intravenous drug use and HIV.
5. Widespread (disseminated)
When infection spreads from one site to another.
Signs and Symptoms
They generally depend on the site which is infected. If discussed based on types then
- Sinuses and brain (rhinocerebral) types generally have symptoms like runny nose, swollen eyes, headache accompanied by pain on the face too causing numbness, fever, loss of smell and blocked nose. Even blurring of vision can also be observed.
- In Lungs (pulmonary) type patients usually have symptoms of fever, cough, cough with blood and difficulty in breathing is usually observed.
- Stomach and intestine (gastrointestinal) type has symptoms like stomach ache, nausea, vomiting and bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract.
- When skin is affected then black lesions can be seen in one part of the skin or can be present in various areas.
- The widespread type can include generally all the above mentioned symptoms.
Causes of Mucormycosis
- The fungal spores can be found on bread, fruits and can be breathed in frequently. But such spores are capable of causing disease in immunocompromised patients. But if the spores are deposited in the nose, sinuses and lungs the spores can grow and thus invade blood vessels due to filamentous growth. After invading blood vessels causes clotting and makes the surrounding tissue dead.
- Other causative factors can be contaminated open wound dressing.
- Sometimes it can also spread from hospital bed sheets, water leak and poor ventilation.
Mechanism of Spreading
Most of the population is exposed to mucorales without developing the disease. It is spread by breathing in, eating contaminated food, or getting spores of molds of the mucorales in an open wound. Transmission between people is not generally observed.
Moreover, in diabetes the high levels of glucose can not provide a definite room for developing mucormycosis but acidosis can. The people with high levels of glucose in blood also have high levels of iron which is why they are at a higher risk of developing mucormycosis.
- No blood test can confirm the diagnosis but skin tissue biopsy can. Fungal culture is also done.
- Blood test is generally done to specifically look for neutropenia (lowered levels of neutrophils, which are type of white blood cells)
Treatment of Mucormycosis Infection
- Allopathic treatment involves combination of antifungal drugs or in severe cases surgically removing the affected tissue. In cases, when mucormycosis infection is a result of medical problems like diabetic ketoacidosis then correcting the underlying situation is important.
- When mucormycosis is diagnosed then initial dose of Amphotericin B 1mg can be given slowly in 10-15 minutes through intravenous route.
- Surgery on the other hand can be disastrous as it involves removal of infected parts which can be the eye, nasal cavity and even part of the brain. Sometimes more than one surgery is required.
Herbal Formulations for Mucormycosis Infection by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a leading Ayurvedic firm which deals with the manufacturing of herbal formulations. These formulations are prepared using potent herbs who are really effective in managing many conditions. The formulations prepared by Planet Ayurveda do not contain any kind of adulterants, dyes, additives, fillers etc. These medications are too potent to manage many conditions and are very fruitful hence giving positive noticeable results. The medication or formulations offered by Planet Ayurveda for the management of mucormycosis infection is as follows
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Kaishore guggul
- MahaManjisthaghan vati
- Neem capsules
- Phyllanthus niruri capsules
1. Gandhak Rasayan
Gandhak rasayan is a natural preparation for skin rejuvenation which has gandhak (purified sulphur) as its content. It improves the immune system and also is very helpful in elimination of harmful toxins. Rasayan is basically a formulation which has cell regenerative effect and also gives luster to skin and enhances its aura. It is an excellent formulation for many skin related disorders.
Dosage: Two tablets twice a day after meals.
2. Kaishore Guggul
Kaishore guggul is an Ayurvedic classical medication which has ingredients like amalaki (Emblica officinalis), bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) and many more. It is very effective in removing toxins from blood and therefore is a very useful herbal formulation for pacifying levels of pitta and is a very effective herbal formulation for various metabolic disorders.
Dosage: Two tablets twice a day after meals
3. MahaManjisthaghan Vati
As the formulation has manjistha manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia) in its ingredient, the formulation is very potent in treating various skin orders and also has a blood purification effect. Most importantly it behaves as an immunomodulator and is very effective in managing swelling over the affected area along with settling down the disturbances in the metabolism.
Dosage: Two tablets twice a day after meals.
4. Neem Capsules
Neem (Azadirachta indica) is a very effective herb which can be used for blood purification and also has a detoxification effect on the digestive system. The capsules are prepared using potent and standardised extract of neem which is very effective in treating and relieving swelling and tissue damage by mucormycosis infection. Moreover, it is used in treatment of intestinal worms, loss of appetite, skin ulcers, heart and blood vessel related disorders.
Dosage: One capsule twice a day after meals.
5. Phyllanthus Niruri Capsules
Bhumi amla (Phyllanthus niruri) has many properties which are really less known. This herb is potent in treating many viral infections like hepatitis and has ulcer healing effects. The phyllanthus niruri capsules are prepared from the standardised extract of bhumi amla. They are potent in managing swelling and can also be used in treatment of uncontrolled glucose levels too.
Dosage: One capsule twice a day after meals.
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing/ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or Call at 0172-521-4030 (India), +91-172-521-4030 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604
Mucormycosis infection is deepening its roots in the society due to degrading immunity of population as a result of any associated conditions like cancer, diabetes and many other immunocompromising disorders. In a healthy population, even after getting in contact with the fungal spores no symptoms are observed but when these spores come in contact with someone who has low immunity can produce a life threatening situation. Planet Ayurveda offers one of the most potent formulations which can effectively manage this condition and give positive results. In case of any query kindly visit www.planetayurveda.com