Gas during pregnancy is caused due to production of progesterone. Progesterone is a hormone that relaxes muscles throughout the body. These muscles relaxed by the progesterone slow down digestion causing gas, burping bloating and an uncomfortable sensation in the gut. This happens especially after meals.
This can often lead to heartburn and constipation.
Causes of Gas During Pregnancy
There are two main reasons of Gas
- Swallowing of air
- Breaking of undigested food by bacteria in the intestine
But sometimes there are certain kinds of foods that are intolerable by people, which may include dairy products.
Other reasons behind gas formation during pregnancy include
- A low level of physical activity
- Gestational diabetes and
- A poor diet.
Sometimes gas can be embarrassing and highly uncomfortable.
Gas during pregnancy may also occur due to intake of certain foods such as
- Starch rich food
- Dairy products
- High fat and fried food
- Chew thoroughly
- Limit drinking while having meals
- Meals after some intervals instead of having meals in bulk
- Avoid carbonated beverages
- Avoid chewing gums or hard candies
- Go for regular walks
- Avoid smoking
As we know this can create embarrassments at certain moments so to get rid of this, there are some home remedies that can be used to cure this particular problem that mainly include proper diet, exercise and avoiding certain foods that are the main reason for gas.
So let’s discuss about these amazing home remedies that can help in getting rid of the problem of gas during pregnancy.
1. Fenugreek Seeds
- Take a cup of water, Put 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in it.
- Let it soak overnight.
- The next morning, strain out the infused water and drink it on an empty stomach.
2. Chamomile Tea
- Put a tea bag of chamomile tea in a cup of hot water.
- Keep it for some time and Remove the tea bag and drink the refreshing tea.
- Drink a cup of chamomile tea at least once daily.
3. Do Yoga
- Get on your hands and knees.
- Position your arms below your shoulders, keeping them straight.
- Inhale as you drop your belly and gaze at the upper portion of the wall in front of you, stretching your head, neck and chest upward.
- Repeat this 5 to 10 times, then finish with the Child’s Pose to relax your body
4. Fiber Rich Foods
Fiber is a good source of water. Intake of fiber will help in softening the stools. This can also prevent constipation.
Regular intake of fiber is suggested to ease gas. Food such as food banana and prunes are considered as a rich source of fiber.
Fiber supplements can also be taken under doctor’s prescription to remove gas and bloating in the stomach.
5. Eat Smaller Meals
Another way to avoid excess gas formation during pregnancy is to avoid eating foods in bulk and instead go for smaller meals. Instead of having three heavy meals, divide your meals out into five to seven small meals throughout the day.
Avoid lying down and eating. Always eat your food in a sitting position. Lying down immediately after eating can lead to formation of gas.
- Regular bowel movements are must to prevent constipation.
- Tension or stress can also be responsible for gas production. So, avoid stressful situations as much as possible.
- Sip from a straw instead of gulping down the whole glass. When you drink water or juice
6. Eliminate Stress
The amount of air you swallow can be increased due to stress and anxiety. Eliminate as much stress from your life as possible. One should avoid stress as much as possible. Find some quiet time to take deep breaths and relax, or even reserve a day for a prenatal spa treatment.Unborn baby can sense your well-being in your womb. Giving birth to a healthy baby is a blessing for both of you and your baby.
We know the fact that gas won’t cause any problem to the mom or baby and it is only a discomfort while you are pregnant but still it will be considered good for the health to eliminate some foods from your diet to stop the formation of gas and add adequate source of the missing nutrients such as iron, calcium, protein and vitamins.
7. Avoid Gas Forming Foods
There are some foods that can cause gas and bloating in the stomach. These mainly include cabbage, beans, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, pasta, bread, white rice, potatoes, oat bran, raspberries, and pears.
If the mother is intolerant to lactose or even slightly allergic to milk, it is advised to avoid dairy products and look into alternatives like soy milk or rice milk.
One should also avoid greasy or fried fatty food as take a long time to break down and digest. Also, sodas and fruity, fizzy drinks are packed with empty calories and can cause gas.
So now we all know about the reasons of formation of gas or bloating in the stomach and also the remedies to cure this. By following the remedies the problem of formation of gas can be eliminated during pregnancy. Though this does not have any bad effects on the pregnancy as well as the womb but still it may cause irritation and embarrassment as while pregnancy the problem of gas and bloating is more that in the regular days. Though there is no need to worry as these are the normal problems associated with pregnancy but just for one’s own comfort and to avoid the problem of gas during this lovely period these remedies can be followed so as to have a happy and amazing pregnancy period as this moment is very special for all the women going through this phase.