Injuries which are caused during participation in a sport or while doing an exercise is known as sports injuries. Usually children get these types of injuries however adults can get them too. People who have not been physically active regularly, indulged in playing contact sports or who do not warm up correctly before a sport or exercise are more prone to get these sports injuries. You can prevent such injuries if you know all about them and this article can help you in getting all the information about sports injuries and their Ayurvedic treatment.
INTRODUCTION TO SPORTS INJURIES
Sports injuries generally occur while one is engaged in a sport or exercise. These injuries can occur due to lack of conditioning, indulging in too much training, improper technique or form. Risk of sports injuries is much more increased if one is not warmed up properly before exercise or a sport. Sports injuries can cause sprain, bruises, strains and even broken bones. Also the soft tissues are affected like ligaments, muscles, fascia, tendons and bursae. These injuries can vary in severity from mild to severe.
TYPES OF SPORTS INJURIES
Sports injuries can be of various types like:
- Pulled muscle- Pulled muscle is also known as muscle strain which occurs due to tearing or overstretching of muscles. It causes various symptoms like swelling, pain, weakness and inability or difficulty in using the affected muscle. Most commonly affected muscles in this are calves, quadriceps, groin, hamstrings, shoulders and lower back.
- Torn Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)- The ACL provides the stability to the knee joint by holding it together strongly. The ACL is torn due to direct blow to the knee, landing wrongly, stopping quickly or changing direction. In a torn ACL a person hears a pop sound after which the knee does not function at all. Swelling, pain and range of motion is lost in the ACL. Walking becomes difficult.
- Torn Medial collateral ligament (MCL)- Femur (Upper leg bone) is connected to Tibia lower leg larger bone through medial collateral ligament. When a person gets a direct blow on the knee or while making a wrong move, this MCL can get injured causing swelling, pain and instability of the knee joint.
- Shin splints- In this occurs inflammation of the tendons and muscles located around the tibia bone causing aching, throbbing or pain inside the area of the lower leg. Such injuries occur in people who are beginning to exercise or runners as a repetitive use of muscles.
- Stress fracture- This is a form of sports injury which occurs due to the overuse of the muscles when muscles are further no longer capable of bearing the impact from physical activity which causes impact on the bone and leads to fracture. Stress fractures are more common in women than in men.
- Plantar fasciitis- It is the inflammation of the ligament (Plantar fascia) which connects the heel to the front of your foot and supports the arch. In Plantar fasciitis there occurs pain usually the person experiences this pain when he/she steps down the bed. Most commonly the risk factors here are obesity, repetitive use, tight calf muscles, new athletic activities and high arches.
- Sprained ankle- Due to the overstretching of the ligaments that supports the joint, the sprained ankle occurs. Sprain of the ankle can occur while doing daily activities, during playing a sport, putting the wrong step on an uneven surface or suddenly twisting or rolling of foot. The pain emerging from sprained ankle can be mild to severe in intensity.
- Tennis elbow- Playing racket sports can result in overuse injury of elbow, i.e. tennis elbow. Other than sports, tennis elbow may occur in people who are involved in occupations like painters, plumbers or similar one. In this tendons outside of the elbow becomes inflamed due to small tears to it. Tennis elbow causes weak grip and pain.
DIAGNOSIS OF SPORTS INJURIES
Diagnosis of the sports injuries vary as per the different aspects. Usually the physical examination and certain investigations like X-ray or MRI can be done to confirm the diagnosis. Differential diagnosis is very important in these sports injuries.
TREATMENT OF SPORTS INJURIES
The conservative treatment of sports injuries is very necessary and involves certain steps called RICE which stands for:
Mild sports injuries can be treated by RICE itself also in severe or moderate injuries it prevents further complications and improves the prognosis.
HERBAL REMEDIES FROM PLANET AYURVEDA FOR SPORTS INJURIES
Planet Ayurveda is a known Ayurvedic center and herbal pharmaceutical company that is involved in the production of herbal products and remedies. All the herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are free from any type of chemical, preservative, colors, additives, fillers, dyes or yeast which makes them very effective and safe to be used for any ailment and by any age group of people. For sports injuries Planet Ayurveda offers a combination of herbal remedies called Sports injury care pack.
Sports injury care pack
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Yograj Guggul
- Cissus Power
- Jatyadi Tailam
- Orthovita Oil
1. Boswellia Curcumin
These are the herbal capsule that are prepared using standardized extract of two herbs, i.e. Haridra (Curcuma longa) and Shallaki (Boswellia serrata). Boswellia curcumin capsules help in relieving the pain and swelling naturally. It alleviates the inflammation and helps in treating associated symptoms.
Dosage- Take 2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.
2. Yograj Guggul
It is combination of the herbs like chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), guggul (Commiphora mukul), Devdaru (Cedrus deodara), Jeeraka (Cuminum cyminum), Pippali (Piper longum), Mustaka (Citrus rotundus), Ardraka (Zingiber officinale), Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) etc. Yograj guggul helps in alleviating the swelling, and stiffness of joints along with ameliorating the pain.
Dosage– Take 2 tablets twice daily after meals with plain water.
3. Cissus Power
It is the single herb capsules, prepared using Hadjod (Cissus quadrangularis) from its standardized extract. Cissus power capsules help in alleviating the pain and swelling and accelerates the healing of the injured area specially bone. It also balances the tridosha in the body.
Dosage- Take 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
4. Jatyadi Tailam
This herbal formulation contains effective medicinal properties that helps in healing wounds, relieving pain and swelling due to inflammation. Herbs like Neem (Azadirachta indica), Patola patra (Stereospermum chelonoides), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Haldi (Curcuma longa) etc are used in the preparation of this Ayurvedic oil.
5. Orthovita Oil
Orthovita oil is formed by combining various herbal oils like Gandhapura oil, Saindhavadi taila, Shul gajendra oil, Turpentine oil, Prasarini oil, and Camphor. This oil helps in relieving the inflammation, pain and supports muscles, ligaments and tendons due to any stress or injury.
Direction- Mix a few drops each from both the oils and apply locally on the affected area.
Sports injuries should not be ignored or mismanaged as they can result in severe complications. Herbal remedies mentioned above can help in treating these sports injuries naturally and safely. For more details of our products, you can check our website www.planetayurveda.com. For more queries, you can send your queries to our email id email@example.com.