There are many physical changes that occur during pregnancy and it’s impossible to overlook them. Stretch marks are one of the most common marks that occur during pregnancy. These types of marks are found in 50 to 90% of women. They are usually present due to weight gain during pregnancy. Stretch marks gradually go away with time but they can also be managed at the initial level only with some natural herbal remedies. Planet Ayurveda offers some natural remedies which are easy and safe to use and these stretch marks can be managed with these herbal formulations. Stretch marks can cause mental stress in women about their looks.
These stretch marks in medical terms are called Striae gravidarum. Stretch marks are cutaneous adverse reactions that are caused during pregnancy. These marks are not itchy but if they are itchy, it may be a sign of herpes gestationis. Stretch marks are linked with maternal age and weight gain. They are also associated with family history and also act as an important factor in development of striae gravidarum. These are considered as main cosmetic concerns to many females, although it doesn’t matter to some females. Initially they are in the form of linear bands but gradually they become colored or hypopigmented atrophic lines that can be wide or narrow. Generally these stretch marks are present on buttocks, breasts, abdomen, and thighs. Striae gravidarum starts appearing after 24th week of pregnancy. After delivery when there is weight loss, these stretch marks appear to be more prominent.
Cause of Stretch Marks
Mainly these stretch marks are caused by the sudden expansion of the uterus. This expansion of the uterus leads to a change in elastin fibers. Normal elastin fibers merge into a mod or deep dermis tissue. Disruption of these elastin fibers changes the appearance of involved skin which is less firm and less elastic as compared to normal skin. Genes like fibronectin and collagen are believed to be involved in the development of stretch marks. The main reason behind the breaking of fibers is the overstretching of the skin.
Risk factors of Stretch marks
There are various factors includes in the development of stretch marks and these includes:
- Younger age
- Maternal and Family history
- Obesity before pregnancy
These are the most common factors which are responsible for the appearance of striae gravidarum. The history of striae on the breasts, hips, and thighs is also associated with the formation of striae gravidarum.
How do these Pregnancy Stretch Marks affect the Mental Health of a Woman?
Stretch marks formed during pregnancy make a long-lasting impression on the mental health of a woman. There is a feeling of self-consciousness and low confidence. Even women with pregnancy stretch marks are not comfortable with their partners. Their lack of confidence leads to social distancing. It is necessary for women to understand that it takes time to fade away and they don’t need to stress over them. The most important thing you can do is stay hydrated. You can also massage your body with almond oil or cocoa butter. Include an antioxidant-rich diet in your daily routine like all kinds of berries, spinach, carrots, broccoli, avocados, etc.
Natural Remedies to get rid of Pregnancy Marks
Planet Ayurveda offers some Natural Remedies to get rid of striae gravidarum. These remedies are 100% Ayurvedic and free of any chemicals, or additives. You can easily use them at home in order to get rid of stretch marks. These includes:
- Nirgundi oil mixed with aloe vera gel
- Radiant skin nail hair capsules
- Curcumin capsules
- Cleopatra butter
1. Nirgundi oil Mixed with AloeVera Gel – Nirgundi oil is a volatile oil that is obtained from nirgundi leaves( Vitex negundo). This oil has an antibiotic action and it is used in treating various skin ailments. Aloe vera gel has healing and soothing properties. Along with Nirgundi oil, it provides quick wound and scar healing. Aloe vera gel increases the efficiency of nirgundi oil.
How to use- Mix a few drops of nirgundi oil with fresh aloe vera gel and apply locally on the affected area. Apply two times a day for better results.
2. Radiant Skin Nail Hair Formula – Radiant skin nail hair formula is a pure Ayurvedic formulation. The capsule shells used in this formulation are 100% chemical-free. This Ayurvedic formulation is prepared by various herbs like Manjishta( Rubia cordifolia), Pitt papda ( Fumaria officinalis), Chirata( Swertia chirata) and ghritkumari( Aloe barbadensis). Manjistha is an effective herb and it is one of the varnya groups of herbs(A group of herbs that enhance skin complexion). Chirata and Pitt pada helps to maintain a healthy and even skin tone. Ghritkumari is the most popular herb for its coupling properties and it also provides healthy and glowing skin.
Dose – 1 to 2 capsules twice daily with normal water after meals.
3. Curcumin Capsules – Curcumin capsules are prepared by standard extracts of Curcumin ( Curcuma longa). It is the best herbal remedy to treat any type of skin ailment. Curcumin is antiseptic in nature and it also helps in blood purification. Curcumin capsules effectively manage stretch marks and help them to fade away.
Dose – 1 to 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Cleopatra Butter – Cleopatra butter provides nourishment to the skin. According to Ayurveda elevated Vata dosha is responsible for dry and rough skin. This nourishing cream is made of almond oil, shea butter, aloe vera extracts, Olea europaea oil, glycerin, olive oil, and wheat germ oil, etc. Cleopatra butter contains ingredients that have the ability to nourish skin, remove stretch marks, improve skin quality, and remove skin discoloration.
How to use – Apply two times daily over stretch marks. You can also apply all over the face and neck area to diminish the appearance of fine lines.
As we all know stretch marks gradually fade away in most women. Always keep in mind they cannot be reduced or completely removed overnight. You need to be patient while trying these natural remedies. One needs to be consistent with their routine in order to get rid of stretch marks.