A brain tumor is the abnormal and rapid growth of cells in the brain. They can be classified as primary or secondary brain tumors. Primary tumors are those that begin to develop in the brain itself while secondary brain tumors are the ones that develop elsewhere and spread to the brain. Most common causes of brain tumor are genetic dysfunctions, exposure to harmful radiations and immune suppressants. Brain tumors can occur at any age.
The treatment of brain tumor depends on the size, type, grade and location of the tumor along with the patient’s health conditions, and age. Treatment options take into consideration whether the tumor is putting pressure on vital parts of the brain, or if the tumor has spread to other parts of the body.
Aggressive medical intervention is often needed in case of a brain tumor. Surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, and targeted drug therapy are some of the most common lines of treatment in the case of brain tumors. If it is a low-grade tumor, surgery is the best option if all of the tumors can be removed. For high-grade tumors, surgery followed by chemotherapy and radiation therapy are done. All conventional methods come with risks and side effects.
According to Ayurveda, the imbalance of three elements Vata, pitta, and Kapha in the body results in round glandular growth of blood and flesh on any part of the body. Ayurveda offers significant remedies for Brain Tumor without causing any side effects. There are medicines to improve immunity and enhance body strength. Some medicines help in cell regeneration while preventing abnormal cell growth completely. The most effective Ayurvedic remedies for Brain Tumor are listed below:
- Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera): The herb Ashwagandha is known for its excellent healing properties. It is classified as a Rasayana or rejuvenation herb in Ayurveda. Its neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties make it one of the best remedies in treating a brain tumor. The herb provides essential nutrients to the body, improves the functioning of the brain and minimizes the adverse effects of harmful radiations. Ashwagandha is helpful as an anti-tumorigenic agent and also has a hepatoprotective effect. It protects the liver from any damage which is a common side effect of brain tumor treatment. It has potential powers to nourish the brain and makes it’s functioning quicker and sharper.
- Curcumin (Curcuma longa): Curcumin is known to disintegrate malignant cells from the body. It is a great anti-oxidant and helps in improving the body’s immunity. Curcumin is found in the Indian spice turmeric or can be taken as tablets whenever needed. The herb has the power to fight against toxins and infections due to its antibiotic properties and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Giloy (Guduchi): Giloy is an excellent herb to boost immunity and overcome calcium deficiency in the body. Giloy has components that increase the oxygen capacity of blood which is otherwise reduced in case of brain tumors. Giloy helps in detoxifying the body and reduces the chances of getting cancer or tumors in the first place. Fresh juice of Giloy may be taken once a day.
- Guggul (Commiphora Mukul): Guggul is the best-known herb to revitalize the damaged cells, thus speeds up the recovery from brain tumors.
- Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri): Brahmi is an excellent medicine for the It helps with improving memory, fights stress and anxiety.
- Tulsi (Ocimum Tenuiflorum): Tulsi has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that make it very beneficial for treating a brain tumor.
- Indian White Cedar (Bili Devdari): The herb has a pharmaceutical compound called Flavopiridol that inhibits the growth of tumors, stops cell division and causes the death of cancer cell. It has been used in many herbal remedies to treat tumors.
- Kalagaura (Mappia foetida): Kalagaura is also known as Narkya which is an Ayurvedic herb known for its anti-tumor activity. The herbal extract of this herb helps in partial remission.
- Wheat Grass: The natural herb wheatgrass helps in preventing brain tumors. The juice of wheat grass if taken regularly stops the tumor from growing further. The high chlorophyll content in wheatgrass matches up to 40 percent with human blood. It helps in overcoming all vitamin deficiencies in the body. The plant has components that increase the oxygen capacity of blood thus giving brain abundant supply of oxygen. The juice also prevents constipation as it gives strength to organs like liver and intestines. This plant is a natural life saver as it enhances the body’s immune system and strengthens the defense mechanism.
- Garlic (Allium sativum): Phytochemicals in garlic like Allicin provides wide-ranging health benefits. Regular intake of both raw and cooked garlic helps in tumor and cancer protection.
- Herbs like ginger and cannabis can also help to relieve or prevent chemotherapy and radiotherapy side effects like nausea, vomiting, appetite loss. Vacha, Shankhpushpi, and Licorice are other herbal remedies that work great in case of brain tumors.
- Water kept in a copper vessel for a night also nourishes the brain cells as it contains iodized water. Stress reduction techniques like Yoga, Meditation, deep breathing exercises (pranayama) all help in supplying more oxygen to the brain. Inhaling frankincense oil also helps in alleviating inflammation in the brain. Frankincense improves blood circulation and is very useful to prevent swelling and fluid accumulation in the brain during and after surgery.
As it is said, Prevention is better than cure, it is always advised to refrain from overuse of cell phones, prefer landline phones, or text instead of talk. Shut off all wireless devices in the bedroom before you sleep especially near your head as cell phone use elevates the risk of brain tumors.
Herbs and vegetables fill the brain with antioxidants and limit the cellular damage by scavenging free radicals. They help in reducing inflammation in the brain. Dark green leafy vegetables, oregano, basil, thyme, and green tea are all powerful cancer/tumor-fighting. Getting adequate sleep is very important for a speedy recovery.