Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is a syndrome that strikes the blood flow. POTS leads to the identifying symptoms that come on standing up from a resting position relieved by lying down. From literature search we got the information supporting the criterion of the POTS diagnostic technique that can be carried out in psychiatric outpatient clinics. As patients may also suffer from anxiety disorders he may need to be referred to psychiatric. There should be proper diagnostic measures to evaluate POTS so that proper treatment should be provided to the patient. While coming to the treatment option we must have to consider ayurveda as a best treatment because of the reason ayurvedic herbs are not having side effects. As the patient suffers from this syndrome phase lots of symptoms that are difficult to deal with modern medicine as high use of these medications may lead to toxicity in the body. Nowadays we prefer you to follow the ancient system of medicine “Ayurveda”. In this study you will learn how wonderful herbal medications deal with the syndrome in an easy way.
Have you ever felt dizzy or fatigued when you suddenly stand up from a lying down position? Are you experiencing increased heart rate? Do you ever think that such a condition may lead to a serious concern, a syndrome named POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). While doing normal work, even standing up from lying down makes them feel fatigue and sudden increase or decrease in heart rate. If you are experiencing these symptoms don’t ever ignore visit a doctor immediately. Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is a condition which influences blood circulation. This disorder is characterized by two factors- a particular group of symptoms that regularly occur when a person comes in standing position. Another factor is that heart rate increases from lying up position to standing position 40 beats/ minute in adolescents and at least 30 beats /minute in adults, measured just within 10 minutes of standing. The development of symptoms occurs just after standing up from a rest up position and comforted after lying back.
POTS stand for
Postural- posture of your body
Orthostatic- standing upright
Tachycardia- rise in heart rate
Syndrome- cluster of symptoms
As per ayurveda the disease is correlated with “Hridya Roga”. According to ayurveda (ma. ni. 29/2) the disease that occurs in Hridya (heart) is known as Hridya Roga. Hridya Roga mainly occurs by pitta imbalance as it destroys the blood vessels. Also kapha helps to heal the damaged blood vessels by accumulating over it but with this kapha causes inflammation of blood vessels and leads to Hridya Roga.
POTS symptoms can be agonizing and terrific experiences. The symptoms may vary from one patient to another. One may experience two or more symptoms from all these mentioned symptoms.
- Blood pressure may vary from high to low.
- Chest pain.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain.
- Blurred vision.
- Back pain, headache, neck pain
- Exercise intolerance.
- Excessive or decreased sweating.
The cause of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is imperfectly understood. However, incidents often begin after major surgery, pregnancy, trauma, viral disease. Many studies doubt that the condition may have more than one cause. The following cause can be associated with the condition:
- Changes in heart
- Changes in Blood vessel function.
- Abnormal tuning of blood pressure.
- Acute stress response (increased fight and flight response.
- Impaired function of nerves commonly in legs and feet.
- By blood pooling in abdomen and legs there is abnormal decrease in the amount of circulating blood in the body.
Causes based on Classification:
- Neuropathic POTS: associated with the damage of the small nerve fiber (small fiber neuropathy). These nerves control the constriction of the blood vessels in the limbs and abdomen.
- Hyper-adrenergic POTS: is a term used to describe the disease related with elevated levels of the stress hormone nor-epinephrine.
- Hypovolemic POTS: associated with abnormally low levels of blood volume.
- Secondary POTS: associated with another condition that leads to autonomic neuropathy, such as diabetes, or autoimmune disorders like systemic lupus erythematosus or Sjogren’s syndrome.
Causes as per Ayurveda (ch.chi. 26/77)
- Ati-ushna( excessive hot) and ruksha ann sevan( dry food)
- Over- eating
- Excessive working
- Excessive stress
- Excessive intake of Heavy meal
- Excessive fasting
- Overuse of enema
The diagnosis of POTS is difficult and complicated as it affects a wide range of organs and the symptom may vary from one patient to another. The doctor may perform some tests to confirm the condition.
Confirmatory diagnostic test for POTS is a Tilt table test: while lying flat you are tied with the table and then the table is raised up to an upright position. The following things are monitor during this test:
-exhaled carbon dioxide levels
The following criteria confirm the diagnosis:
- Abnormal heart rate while performing the tilt table test.
- Symptoms worsen on upright position.
- Don’t develop orthostatic hypotension in the first 3 minutes of the test.
Home Remedies for POTS
- Drink lots of fluids habitually throughout the day(2-2.5 liters a day)
- Add salty food in your diet this will help to keep water in your bloodstream which helps to reach more blood to the heart and brain.
- Consume five servings of fruits and vegetables in a day.
- Small and frequent meals should be taken.
- Regular exercise- as it increase and ease the blood flow
- Wearing compression stockings- assists blood flow from lower to upper extremities this prevents the pooling of blood in the lower legs.
- Managing stress- one may feel stress free in their home only. Give him calm therapy and feel him free from stress- pleasant and enjoyable activities, listening to calm music, reading books, doing art and craft all these reduce stress. Meditation and yoga are also very helpful.
- Getting enough sleep- sleep also disturbs the symptoms of POTS disease. Taking 7-10m hours of sleep will definitely improve your health. You have to definitely try this. Watching movies, laptop, computer, mobile phone before 1 hour of bed should be avoided.
Treatment as per Ayurveda
Don’t worry when ayurveda is here for you. Ayurveda, an ancient medicine system, gives you the perfect formula to cure postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Here are certain beneficial drugs which cure your disease from root cause without any side effects. Planet Ayurveda provides you with such miraculous formulations which cures your disease perfectly. So don’t worry you will be alright just faith and take ayurvedic treatment.
Herbal Formulations For POTS By Planet Ayurveda
Planet ayurveda provides you with a number of herbal formulations to prevent and cure almost all the diseases. But it also provides you with herbal remedies for POTS disease. As we all know that POTS is a kind of heart disease so the formulations mentioned are launched specially in order to cure heart disease. Planet ayurveda forms all the formulations with proper standard measures. These formulations are 100% vegetarian, having no additives, color, starch, yeast, binders, etc. all of the formulations are made under the supervision of M.D ayurveda experts. Let us take a look at these herbal formulations.
- Arjuna Capsule
- Brahmi Capsule
- Gotukola Capsule
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Pitta Balance
1. Arjuna Capsule
It consists of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna). It is a very advantageous herb for the heart. It prevents the heart from chronic high blood pressure. Also helps to maintain cholesterol levels in the body. This herb reduces the risk of heart disease by providing strength and tone to the heart muscles that lay out proper functioning of heart. Arjuna also has strong anti-hypertensive properties which helps to reduce high blood pressure.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with normal water.
2. Brahmi Capsule
These special capsules hold in great herb Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). It is having a favorable effect on the brain. As we know that stress is also one leading cause of POTS. Brahmi improves mental health naturally; supports proper functioning of the nervous system, helps reduce stress as well as anxiety, depression and stress. It improves your memory as well and even boosts your ability to experience inspiration. This drug is also a leading rasayana that is having anti-ageing properties, improves immunity, and strengthens body tissues as well.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with normal water
3. Gotukola Capsules
These capsules are also single drug formulation. It contains gotu kola (Centella asiatica). This herb works on POTS by improving healthy blood circulation and maintaining good metabolism. Also deals with cognitive functions (improve memory domain) as it contains folic acid. Although this herb contains anti-anxiety as well as antidepressant properties.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water.
4. Boswellia Curcumin
This herbal formulation contains two herbs- shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and curcumin (Curcuma longa). Boswellia has a number of benefits but in accordance with treating POTS it contains a special feature that is having a good effect on lipid profile. Its intake increases blood HDL levels as well as significant decrease in cholesterol levels which is having a good effect on POTS disease. Now let’s talk about the next ingredient ‘curcumin’. Curcumin is considered a golden herb in eliminating cardiovascular disease. It provides anti-inflammatory properties, making it a good addition to any heart healthy herbal medicine.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water.
5. Pitta Balance
This is such a appreciable formulation consists of 6 ingredients- praval pishti (coral calcium), akik pishti (agate calcium), jawar mohra pishti (an ayurvedic calcium compound), kamdudha ras (an ayurvedic calcium compound), mukta pishti (pearl calcium), giloy satva (Tinospora cordifolia). This formulation shows wonderful effect on many diseases along with that it is also used in POTS as it helps in anxiety, stress, palpitation and increased heart rate by balancing pitta as imbalanced pitta damages blood vessels walls. Don’t worry, take pitta balance along with other formulations mentioned above and you will definitely be able to cure your disease.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
Diet for POTS
Food to be Consumed
- Adequate amount of fruits and vegetables
- White meat
- Skinless meat
- Adequate amount of nuts, beans and legumes
- Olive oil
- Six eggs per week
- Whole grains
Food to be Avoided
- Fast and fried food
- Boxed food
- Candy, chips, biscuits
- Processed frozen meals
- Red meat
- Excessive intake of saturated fat
- Excessive intake of salt
- Excessive amount of dairy products
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing/ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or Call at 0172-521-4040 (India), +91-172-521-4040 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 842-749-4030.
As we all know, a healthy heart means a healthy life. You all have to take care of your heart and for that certain dietary factors may help you to prevent heart disease like our topic of discussion POTS. If for some reason you are suffering from this syndrome there is no need to worry, be calm and take ayurvedic medications along with a healthy heart diet and you will be definitely fine. Preferably take ayurvedic formulations by planet ayurveda. It is a blessing for POTS patients you will definitely get good results. Always remember to keep your heart healthy and live a healthy life.