Running long distances is in trend and so are the injuries caused due to running and brisk walking. A very famous runner’s quote can be mentioned here, “you can keep going and your legs may hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime”. But if the injuries may stop you from fulfilling your passion and can hurt your mind and physical wellbeing for a lifetime. Now the question arises that if such injuries occur then what can be done to recover fast? To get the answer of this question you have to go through this article which has information about two most common injuries during running or brisk walking that are Plantar Fasciitis & Shin Splints. Ayurvedic formulations for these two injuries are also suggested later in this article.
Plantar Fasciitis and Shin splints are the most common injuries runners or walkers suffer from. Plantar fasciitis is a condition in which the pain is present at the bottom of the foot. Your foot will hurt when you get off the bed and stand up or stand up after sitting for a while. Here the word plantar means foot and fasciitis means inflammation of fascia of a muscle. On the other hand if we discuss shin splints then it’s common with new walkers especially when they try to walk fast. Shin splints are the pain in lower legs which stops when a person stops fast walking. It’s a way of complaining from the side of muscles as they are not used to exertion causing inflammation and pain.
Causes of Plantar Fasciitis and Shin Splints
- Plantar fasciitis can be caused by a number of factors like not wearing the right type of shoes, structure of foot, over use and types of walking surfaces. Generally walking on hard sources can cause plantar fasciitis.
- Discussion about shin splints then this is a condition arising due to repetitive stress on the shinbone and connective tissue attached to your muscle. The stress is due to running especially on hills, Increasing your days of training, or increasing the intensity of training and being involved in an exercise routine involving frequent starts and stops like dancing, football, basketball etc.
- If understood from the angle of Ayurveda then these two conditions are simply the result of excess of vata dosha in the body and might involve the role of ama dosha or endotoxins as well which accumulate in the digestive tract with time.
Symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis and Shin Splints
- Pain on the bottom of the heel
- Increase in pain after exercise
- Pricking pain in arch of foot
- In morning, the pain is worse
- Heel might be swollen
- Tight Tendon of Achilles
- Pain can range from mild to severe in the lower leg
- Starts with the activity and goes off with the activity
- A dull ache in bilateral lower legs
- Sometimes pain persists even after the activity has ended
Diagnosing Plantar Fasciitis and Shin Splints
- MRI (Magnetic resonance Imaging)
- XRay of Bone
- Generally, many tests are not required. A brief history and a certain physical examination are enough.
Treatment of Plantar Fasciitis and Shin Splints
The treatment mostly has a conservative way to manage the situation in both of the cases. Conservative treatment includes:
- Rest: It does not mean the bed rest but take a break from sports, running and other physical activities. It’s a way to relax your muscles and bones to relieve tension.
- Ice: Apply cold compress to your shins every 10 to 20 minutes three to four times in a day.
- Pain Relievers: In very rare cases painkillers are prescribed. Mostly Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs are prescribed.
- External Supplementation: Supplementation of vitamin D3 is usually helpful.
- Slow increase in Activity levels: When you start again after a gap start slowly. Increase the rate of exercise and physical activities slowly.
- Supportive shoes and footwear: People who have flat feet should wear shoes according to their feet type.
Herbal Remedies by Planet Ayurveda for Plantar Fasciitis and Shin Splints
Planet Ayurveda is an Ayurvedic manufacturing company, which prepares effective Ayurvedic products. These Ayurvedic products are totally vegetarian and do not contain any kind of adulterants, additives, preservatives, dyes, flavour enhancers and other chemicals. These products are prepared with effective Ayurvedic herbs which give good results in managing many conditions brilliantly.They help in enhancing the body’s metabolism and work as an immune modulator too. The formulation for Plantar Fasciitis and Shin Splints offered by Planet Ayurveda are as follows:
- YOGRAJ GUGGUL
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
- AAMVATANTAK CHURNA
- NIRGUNDI OIL
- ORTHOVITA OIL
1. Yograj Guggul
Yograj Guggul is a well renowned classical formulation. The preparation has a combination of effective herbs like pippali (Piper longum), guggul (Commiphora guggul), ajwain (Carum copticum), vidang (Embelia ribes), gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), dhanyak (Coriandrum sativum) and some others. All of the herbs in this preparation help in the pacification of vata dosha and this results in pain reduction as well. As it has vata anulomana property the formulation has its effect on inflammation also. The pain in Plantar Fasciitis & Shin Splints is of strange pricking type and this is the typical feature of the pain due to aggravated vata dosha. In such cases with pain there is some sort of inflammation as well which is relieved and the movement of the affected part becomes easy. Yograj guggul helps in relieving twitching and spasm also. Yograj guggul is a boon for vata anulomana, relieving pain and hence giving really great results.
Dosage: Two tablets twice daily after meals with lukewarm water.
2. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia curcumin capsules are effective and are a potent formulation which is prepared using only two ingredients. The capsules are prepared with popular herbs like haridra (Curcumin longa) and shallaki (Boswellia serrata). These two herbs also have fantastic effects in dosha pacification and help in reducing pain as well. The formulation gives good results in subsiding the inflammation in the affected part and reduces the stiffness. As the stiffness is reduced the movement of the affected part becomes easy. Boswellia curcumin also has its effect on digestion. It works for strengthening the digestive system by anulomana of the aggravated vata dosha in the digestive tract as well and the and the symptoms related to digestion can be relieved.
Dosage: One capsules twice daily after meals with lukewarm water.
3. Aamvatantak Churna
Aamvatantak churna is a patent formulation which has herbs like Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Gorakhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus), haridra (Curcuma longa) and many others. Aamvatantak is in Powder form. The formulation works by the elimination of ama dosha in the body that is endotoxins and anulomana of vata dosha. Aamvatantak means the same as the one who destroys ama and aggravated vata dosha. This results in subsiding pain which causes stiffness as well. The formulation also reduces the tingling sensation. Vata dosha aggravation is responsible for all types of body aches and reduces the strength of bones and joints.but using aamvatantak churna will help in getting rid of all these symptoms and strengthens the body’s framework as well.
Dosage: One tsp twice daily 10 min before meals with lukewarm water.
4. Nirgundi Oil
Nirgundi oil is one of the most efficient classical preparations which has great results as a healing agent. The preparation of nirgundi oil generally involves usage of leaves and stems of nirgundi along other herbs of potent calibre. The base oil which is used is tila taila or sesame oil. Nirgundi is a herb which is known to have several benefits as per Ayurveda. In classics it is mentioned that Nirgundi is sarva roga nivarini that means it’s a remedy or a recipe for all types of diseases and disorders. The nirgundi oil is an effective analgesic, also helpful in some specific types of arthritis and has its impact on anorectal conditions if applied locally.
5. Orthovita Oil
Ortho vita oil is a patent oil by Planet Ayurveda manufactured with ingredients like tail tarpon, shul gajendra, gandhapura, turpentine, saindhavadi taila, prasarini oil and few others. The ingredients act in an impressive way and helps in restoring mobility of affected parts, effective in relieving pain, reduces the process of degeneration, and increases the lubrication between joints also. The oil has a great role in strengthening the ligaments, tendons and muscles as well bones. The oil is also useful for reducing muscle aches as well.
How To Use Oils: Mix both the oil and warm it through the water bath method before application. Never warm the hot through direct heating. Apply it on the affected area and massage gently.
The conditions like plantar fasciitis and shin splints are becoming more and more common in people of almost all ages. The credit goes to our lifestyle, diet and also to the weight we are putting on. As mentioned before the condition is a result of vata aggravation and only vata pacification can effectively help in managing the situation. In addition, exertion more than your capacity can also be the reason for these two conditions to occur. The herbal preparations mentioned before will help in relieving the pain, inflammation etc, present in this situation and thus promotes easy movement. In case of any query kindly visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com