Fibroid development usually starts with single uterine smooth muscle cell (Myometrium) which is further followed by deviations in normal cellular division. In modern medical system, the treatment may involve certain steroids that may lead to some serious side effects. In order to avoid this, some changes in diet and lifestyle can reduce the symptoms and manage the problems naturally.
Uterine fibroids which are also known as leiomyomata are the most common form of benign tumor which affects women. Uterine fibroids are noncancerous growths of the uterus. Uterine fibroid cancerous is 1 in 1000 females. Many women have uterine fibroids during their life. Due to lack of knowledge most women don’t know they have fibroids in the uterus. (1)
Types of Uterine Fibroids
- Subserosal fibroids- present in the outer wall/ layer of the uterus (55%).
- Intramural fibroids- present in the muscular layer of the uterus (40%).
- Submucosal fibroids- are present in the innermost layer (5%).
Causes of Uterine Fibroids
The exact cause is not known, but research and clinical experience point to these factors:
- Genetic changes
- Hormones- In female uterine fibroid may be related to disturbance of hormones progesterone and estrogen.
- Other growth factors- Body maintain tissues, such as insulin-like growth factor, maybe affect fibroid growth.
- Low physical exercise
- Unresolved concerns about abortion
Signs and Symptoms of Uterine Fibroids
Women who have fibroids but they have no symptoms. Symptoms can be effect by the location, size, and several fibroids. The most common symptoms of uterine fibroids are-
- Heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Menstrual periods lasting more than a week.
- Pelvic pressure or pain.
- Frequent urination.
- Difficulty emptying the bladder.
- Backache or leg pain.
A fibroid can cause acute pain when it outgrows its blood supply and begins to die.
Risk Factors Involved in Uterine Fibroid
Some risk factors for uterine fibroids, other than being a woman of reproductive age. Other factors are the impact on fibroid development include:
- Heredity- If your mother or sister suffering uterine fibroid then you’re more chances of uterine fibroid.
- Race-Black women are more suffer uterine fibroid than women of other racial groups.
- Environmental factors- Early age menstruation also risk factors of uterine fibroid.
- Excessive uses of birth control pills.
- Obesity, Vitamin D deficiency
- Having a diet higher in red meat and a lower intake of green vegetables and fruit.
- Drinking alcohol, beer which increases your risk of developing fibroids.
Complications of Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids usually aren’t dangerous but they can cause discomfort and Due to blood loss during menstruation, it causes anemia in women.
Uterine fibroids – An Ayurvedic Approach
In Ayurveda uterine fibroid compare with Granthi which shows similarities like Gratanath Granthi. It protrudes like a bamboo joint /joint between two parts of a plant or fruit of Amalaki (Emblica officinalis). It relatively hard and tough, glandular or nodular swelling, knotty, hard and rough appearance.
Ayurveda Acharya have also explained different types of Granthi as follows:
- Vataja Granthi: which are elongated and usually painful. Vata granthi correlates with Subserous fibroid can become very large.
- Pittja Granthi: are more prone to suppuration and inflammation-as this distort the uterine cavity it can be considered as submucosal fibroid.
- Kaphaja Granthi: are localized mass with mild pain. Cervical and Intramural fibroids can be compared with kaphaja granthi.
- Medo Granthi: is usually board, mild pain.
- Sira Granthi: is quick in onset and with multiple symptoms and complication -when it comes to understanding medoja and siroja granti the degenerative changes of fibroid can be well established.
Herbal Remedies for Uterine Fibroids
Planet Ayurveda has excellent herbal remedies for Ayurvedic treatment of Uterine Fibroids. Our Fibroids care pack is a complete formula to subside the symptoms of uterine fibroid. Herbs like Ashoka (Saraca indica), Kanchnaar Guggulu (Bauhinia variegata), Udumbur (Ficus glomerata), Shuddha Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), and Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) can help to reduce the fibroids. These herbs are present in a formulation like Kanchnaar guggul, Chanderprabha Vati, Female Health Support, and Pradrantak Churna. The fibroid care pack of Planet Ayurveda consists of all of these formulations. Most important thing is that there are no side effects of this combination if taken with any other medications.
1. Chanderprabha Vati
Chanderprabha vati is a wonderful remedy for both men and women. This tablet is beneficial in problems related to Pelvis organs, Low sex desire, Urinary Tract Infections, and Inability to conceive. Chanderprabha vati is helpful in Inflammation of Urinary tract and General weakness. Chanderprabha vati flushes out toxins accumulated in the body and regulates blood sugar levels. Best results are seen for Uterine Fibroid, Ovarian cyst, and irregular uterine bleeding when taken along Pradrantak churan and Kachanaar Guggul.
Dosage– 2 tablets twice after a meal.
2. Pradrantak Churna
This herbal formulation is prepared with herbs like Lodhra (Symplocus racemosa), Ashoka (Saraca indica), Udumbur (Ficus glomerata ) and Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna ) that give amazing result in female health issues. Above herbs give effective results in female reproductive system problems such as Leucorrhea, Premenstrual syndrome, Hormonal imbalance, irregular bleeding, ovarian cysts, Dysfunctional uterine bleeding and Fibroids. Herbs Ashoka(Saraca indica ) regulates the menstrual cycle & stimulates our digestive system.
Dosage– 1 teaspoonful twice daily after meal
3. Female Health Support
As the name suggests it is a complete health tonic for females. This formulation contains herbs like Ashoka (Saraca indica), Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa) & Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) that balance female hormone. It regulates, balances physical and mental well-being of female regular intake of Female Health Support improves the overall female reproductive system.
Dosage– 1-2capsules twice daily after meal.
4. Kanchnaar Guggul
Kanchnaar Guggul is classical herbal tablets. This tablet used for shredding off accumulated Kapha from tissues and glands. It is helpful in hyperthyroidism/hypothyroidism by balancing the secretion of thyroxin. This formulation subsides the excessive growth of Glands, Tumors, Lipoma, Ovarian cysts, Fibroids & Cancers. These tablets are prepared from herbs like Kanchnaar bark (Bauhinia variegata), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia bellerica), Ginger (Zingiber officinale) & Guggul (Commiphora mukul) extracts that maintain healthy cells & tissues.
Dosage– 2 Tablets twice daily after meal
- Aloe vera juice taken along detoxifies the system very easily.
- Sip on herbal teas
- Organic Foods
- Cruciferous Vegetables
- High –Iron foods
- Flaxseeds can help balance estrogen levels in the body, which can in turn work to shrink fibroids. You should aim for at least 2 tablespoons per day if you already have fibroids.
- Weak up early in the morning & Exercise daily in the morning for at least 30 minutes.
- Massage your body with herbal oils.
- Do brisk walking for at least 25 minutes daily.
- Avoid junk, packed & oily food items.
Pranayama & Yoga
- Postures in Surya namaskara are very much helpful in this condition.
- Kapalabhati (Mild), Ujjayi pranayama, Anulom-viloma, Bhramari pranayama for better results