Pain is a discomforting symptom associated with a variety of disorders. Myofascial pain syndrome is a muscle pain associated with inflammation in the body. This condition simply affects the fascia which is the connective tissue which covers the muscle. A single muscle or group of muscles can be affected. The association of pain is with trigger points and these points promote the pain radiation to the affected area. In this article we will discuss the Myofascial pain and the ayurvedic aspect with herbal remedies.
Myo means muscles and fascial means fascia. It is a disease associated with muscles or more precisely with fascia of the muscles. In this condition there is pain in the muscles with associated swelling. Pain usually starts from the specific points or trigger points and may be referred to other parts. It can be local sometimes. Wherever the pain is radiating at that time, origin of pain and site are different. This is called radiating pain. Wherever the site of origin or site of pain is similar it is called local pain. This syndrome is usually chronic in nature. The pain mostly occurs when a muscle is contracted again and again. To relieve pain people usually go for synthetic drugs called analgesics drugs. Later in this article we will discuss the alternative for synthetic medicines.
Causes and Risk Factors
No single factor is responsible for the development of myofascial trigger points
- Overuse of muscles
- Trauma (injury)
- Psychological stress.
- Trigger points often arise from sustained repetitive activities like lifting heavy objects at work or working on a computer all day.
- Poor posture or long term sitting.
- Impaired nutrition and deficiency of multivitamins.
- Lack of exercises or sedentary lifestyle.
- Fatigue which can be generalized
- Insomnia or sleep disturbances
- Hormonal changes or menopause.
- Continuous or excessive muscle cooling. The regular muscle cooling or use of air conditioners may cause excessive pain.
- Depression, anxiety or other emotional problems.
- Nerve injury.
- Inflammatory conditions of the body.
- Drug addiction or smoking.
- There is muscle pain in muscle; it is the most common clinical feature.
- Muscle stiffness which can be severe with pain.
- Sleep disturbances due to excessive pain.
- Headache is there but less frequent.
- Pain aggravated on muscle contraction stretch or contraction.
- Unable to feel good
Exact lab test is not yet to diagnose this condition. But a thorough examination can be done to diagnose this condition.
- Application of bands which help to notice the gentle pressure
- Postural abnormalities by visual examination.
- Palpation is also useful to identify the taut bands in muscles (taut bands are the extension of muscle fibers up to attachment to the trigger point.
- Electromyography can be used to check muscle function.
Management of Myofascial pain syndrome is associated with analgesics in modern medicines. Instead of medicines, stretching, posture training, massage, and heat therapy are of great benefits. Although pain relievers, antidepressants and sedatives are used for the management. Ibuprofen is a NSAID used as a painkiller to reduce the pain.
In ayurvedic management Myofascial pain syndrome is correlated with Vata aggravation. It is managed by pacification of vata by vata nashak chikitsa. Herbs like Dashmoola (combination of 10 herbs, nirgundi (Vitex negundo), shallaki (Boswellia serrata) are helpful to lower the aggravated vata. The procedures of Panchkarma like Abhyang, snehana, swedana, basti are the ways to drain out the vata doshas. It is mentioned in ayurveda-‘vata anulomana haritaki’ means haritaki promotes the vata anulomana (means to drain out the vata).
In Ayurveda it is correlated with aggravated doshas. Vata is concerned with movement, dryness and coldness. The aggravation of vata leads to pain. The vata is of 5 types having different locations in the body. The aggravated vata may cause digestive issues, the impaired digestive fire and dryness in the whole body. Following are the vata doshas having different locations.
- Prana Vayu– The location of Prana vayu is hridya and 10 nerves. It is related to the vagus nerves and its vagus nerve functioning is disturbed when there is vitiated prana vayu in the body. It may cause pain in the chest region or dysfunctioning of nerves.
- Udana Vayu— Udaan vayu is concerned with the regions like neck, chest and umbilical region. If there is pain in these areas that means it is vitiation of Vata dosha. It can also cause gas, bloating or abdominal pain.
- Saman Vayu– -It is one of the important types of vata and it can be associated with muscles. The various issues of muscles can be associated with this kind of vata.
- Vyana Vayu – Vyana vayu is associated with the whole body. It is concerned with circulation of blood and vitiation of the body. The vitiation of vyana vayu may cause pain in the whole body. This pain is due to the properties of vata. This type of vata dosha is responsible for the pain in the whole body..
- Apan Vayu–The location of this vayu is in anal region, scrotum area, pelvic area and large. Vitiation of apan vayu is associated with pain in the abdomen, gas or bloating-like conditions.
Herbal Remedies by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a GMP certified hub for the management of modern day problems with classical ayurvedic solutions. The products of Planet Ayurveda are authentic and give best results. Following are the herbal remedies for the management of myofascial pain syndrome.
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Yogaraj Guggul
- Moringa Capsule
- Nirgundi Swaras
- Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras
- Bala Ashwagandha Oil
1. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia circumin are the herbal capsules formulated by Planet Ayurveda. These capsules are loaded with Shallaki (boswellia serrata) and haridra (Curcuma longa). These capsules are beneficial in managing the pain and inflammation of the joints and bones. These improve muscle strength. It helps to enhance the appetite and drain out the free radicals from the body. These two herbal combinations strengthen the circulation and nervous system of the body and act as a nervine tonic.
Dosage- 1 capsule twice daily after meal.
2. Yograj Guggul
Yograj Guggulu is loaded with Shuddha Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), Pippali (Piper longum), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Mustaka (Citrus rotundus), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) and Ardraka (Zingiber officinale), Jeeraka (Cuminum cyminum), Devdaru (Cedrus deodara), Ela (Elettaria cardamomum) etc. Guggul is able to clear the aggravated doshas and pacify the aam dosha (toxins). It helps to clear the circulatory channels and strengthen the nervous system. It acts as a natural painkiller for muscle pain.
Dosage– 2 tablets once or twice daily after meal.
3. Moringa Capsules
Moringa capsules are able to minimize the vata dosha. Shigru is a natural joint tonic. It helps to pacify the pain and inflammation. Moringa in itself is a superfood. It promotes strength, promotes muscle tone etc. The Moringa capsules of Planet Ayurveda are the best and result-oriented formulation. It is loaded with natural extract of Moringa and reduces the pain.
Dosage-1 capsules twice or thrice daily after meal.
4. Nirgundi Swaras
Nirgundi ( Vitex Negundo) is a natural blood purifier and a well known vata dosha shamak (vata pacifier). It helps to drain out the free radicals and harmful toxins from the body. Nirgundi also acts as a natural analgesic (pain killer). It helps to manage the symptoms of Myofascial pain syndrome. Nirgundi helps to enhance the nerve connection and acts as a natural nerve tonic. Nirgundi swaras of Planet Ayurveda are the best and reduce the tridosha.
Dosage– 2 tsp twice daily after meal.
5. Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras
Vrihat Vatchintamani Ras is a classical ayurvedic herbo-mineral formulation used to manage the variety of ailments associated with vata dosha. The main ingredients are Swarna Bhasma (Calx of gold), Rajata Bhasma (Calx of Silver), Abhraka Bhasma (calx of Mica), Loha Bhasma (Calx of Iron), Pravala Bhasma (Bhasma Calx of Coral), Juice extract of Aloe vera. Vrihat vata chintamani rasa manages various disorders like Myofascial pain syndrome, paralysis, facial palsy and epilepsy.
Dosage– 1 once daily to be chewed with warm ghee.
6. Bala Ashwagandha Oil
The chief ingredients of Planet Ayurveda are Bala (Sida cordifolia) and Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). This oil acts as a rejuvenator and helps to strengthen the body. This oil is used as a massage oil and enhances the nerve tone. This oil helps to manage the psychic disorders also. It is able to manage the associated symptoms of Myofascial Pain syndrome. This oil enhances nerve conduction. It is also useful in muscular dystrophy and neuralgia. Bala Ashwagandha oil on application enhances the strength of the central nervous system.
External Application– Oils to be warmed before applying.
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214040 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Myofascial pain syndrome is a painful condition. The main cause for this condition is inflammation according to modern science. So the use of anti-inflammatory drugs with analgesics are the basic line of treatment. In ayurveda the concept of vata is associated with such complaints. The management of vata can be done via shaman and shodhana therapy i.e panchkarma. The above-mentioned herbal formulations of Planet Ayurveda are able to pacify the aggravated vata dosha and manage the conditions like pain and inflammation. The herbal formulations of Planet Ayurveda are authentic, GMP certified and result oriented without any significant side effects. In case of any query kindly visit www.PlanetAyurveda.com. For more queries, you can send your queries to our email id firstname.lastname@example.org.