The ignorance of smaller skin issues (infections) and regular exposure to increasing environmental pollution (some allergens) and bad dietary habits leads to many severe diseased conditions. Atopic dermatitis is a skin disorder characterized by itching, dry patches and raised lumps on the skin along with the redness of the skin. It is commonly found in children but may persist in adults also. Let’s have a look at the clinical features and causes of atopic dermatitis along with the most efficient ancient herbs for combating this skin disease.
Sign & Symptoms
Itching is the characteristic feature of this atopic dermatitis. Erythematous to brownish-grey patches which are mostly seen on the upper chest, back, neck, in the bends of the elbow region, hands, feet, ankles, knees and wrist. Dry scaly, roughened and thickened skin which may be presented with fissures in the skin or lumps with secretions. Burning sensation or pain in those patches may be present in some cases.
There are multiple possible causes/ triggers for this condition. Few risk factors (triggers) include genetics, underlying skin infections and regular exposure to environmental allergens, physical & mental stress, poor nutrition, allergens such as harsh soaps alcohol containing skin products, certain perfumes, household chemicals, and seasonal allergies. Moreover, excess heat and high/low humidity and dry skin condition in winter also flare-up the symptoms of Atopic dermatitis.
The various skin diseases in Ayurveda are categorized under the broad term kushta roga and are considered due to the vitiation of pitta dosha and rakta dhatu (blood tissue). Out of the various kushtroga mentioned by Acharya Charka, one subtype of kshudra kushta resembles the features of Actopic dermatitis i.e. Vicharchika.
(Reference- Charka Samhita Chikitsa sthana 7/26)
Skandu means with intense itching, pidika shyava means the red-greyish discolored papules on skin, bhustrava means the increased secretions from the inflamed skin cells.
Moreover, Acharya Kashyapa’s description of the disease Charmadala also closely resembles Atopic dermatitis. That condition is characterized by twak raktavarna (reddish discoloration of skin), kandu (itching), charma avadarana (peeling of skin) and twak rookshata (dryness of skin) with pidaka (papule) formation.
Best Ayurvedic Herbs For Atopic Dermatitis
There are numerous herbs mentioned in Ayurveda for skin health. Few best of them are as follows:
- Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia) is the best herbs having raktashodhak guna (properties of blood purification), its raktprasadak (enhancing flow of blood) aids in the better blood supply to the affected part, dry scaly lesions on getting adequate blood supply may slough off or settle down promoting wellness of the skin cells. Furthermore, it helps in relieving the discolored patches and giving the skin a natural glow.
- Neem (Azadirachta indica) is the other best drug for various skin and digestion related disorders. Neem has anti-inflammatory properties, relieving the acne, raised lumps and other swelling present on the skin. Also it reduces the redness, dryness and itching due to atopic dermatitis condition. Its oil is rich in certain fatty acids which supports wound healing & maintains skin health.
- Ghrit Kumari (Aloe barbadensis) is the best medicine for reducing the excess vitiation of pitta. Also aloe vera is a rich source of Vitamin A, vitamin C, antioxidants and enzymes that promotes the wellness of healthy skin cells. Local application of its liquid extract helps in treating the dry scaly lesions of the skin, making the skin even and smooth.
- Pit Papda (Fumaria officinalis) is an herb having pitta pacifying properties and immunomodulatory actions. It also helps in calming the itching and irritation caused in skin as a result of Actopic dermatitis.
Some other herbs that are full of antioxidants are also useful in Actopic dermatitis conditions, that includes Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Vacha (Acorus calamus) & Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata).
Furthermore, few of the Ayurvedic herbs have the ability that include full body cleansing. That includes triphala (combination of three herbs Terminlia chebula, Terminalia bellerica and Emblica officinalis) along with katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa) facilitate the detoxification of the body and flushing out the endotoxins and free radicals that damage the skin cells out of the system through purgation.
Along with these herbs Ayurveda also uses some minerals that increase the normal functioning of skin cells.
Two major minerals include shuddha gandhak (purified sulphur),and shudh tankan (purified borax). These two are the best for the fungal infections of the sun that help in relieving the itching, dryness and inflammation of the skin and side by side nourishing the skin cells. Both have pitta shamak (quenching pitta) abilities, thus these two minerals are beneficial for Atopic dermatitis.
Herbal Remedies For Atopic Dermatitis
Planet Ayurveda is the hub of manufacturing herbal medications with strict adherence to ancient ayurvedic texts and principles. These product made here are obtained from 100% natural sources, formulated with time tested formulas. Planet Ayurveda provides Atopic Dermatitis Care Pack which is a combination of 6 formulations as suggested by our experts. These include the formulations for internal use as well as for local application.
For internal use
- Gleaming Skin, Hair, Nails Formula is formulated by Planet Ayurveda’s experts for pacifying the vitiation of pita and rakta dosha.
Dosage – 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Navkarshik Churna is a classical poly herbal formulation made from nine herbs including neem, manjistha, and katuki which help in balancing the pitta dosha and aids in blood purification.
Dosage – 1 tsp twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Gandhak Rasayan is an amazing classical remedy for various skin diseases. It contains the goodness of shuddha gandhak (purified sulphur).
Dosage – 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
- The two oils i.e. Lippu Oil & Vetplai Thailam having the nourishing contents for the skin cells and enhances the blood flow are suggested for local application.
- Mandarin Orange Soap is composed of the scents that are derived from mandarin and orange. This can be used as a regular bathing soap and it also promotes good skin health.
By using these Ayurvedic herbs and a good balanced diet along with the slight healthy modification in lifestyle can be very much beneficial in treating or preventing this condition of Atopic dermatitis.