Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy abbreviated LGMD is a group of distinct and rare diseases that cause weakness and wasting of the muscles and it usually starts with the muscles around the hips and shoulders , gradually progresses towards the arms and legs.
Limb girdle muscular dystrophy is not a single health condition but a number of different inherited muscular dystrophies. They are categorized under “Limb Girdle ” as they mostly affect the muscles around the shoulder girdle and hip. Limb-girdle muscular dystrophies includes 20 different inherited disorders out of which 16 are known to be genetic forms. These sets of disorders initially affect the muscles around the shoulder girdle and hips and gradually it involves other muscles of the body. These diseases get worse with the time.
LGMD and Its Affected Parts
It generally affects the pelvic and shoulder girdles leading to weakness in the muscles in the hips, thighs, arms and shoulders. These muscles are called the “proximal” muscles as they stay nearest to the body. The weakness usually affects and starts with the legs first, followed by the arms and gradually causing weakness in the “distal” muscles, that stays far from the body like those in the feet, ankles, calves, hands and wrists. There are specific types of LGMD that may cause heart problems or weakness of the muscles that assists breathing.
It is mainly a genetic disease and the different types of LGMD are caused by different genetic flaws. The genes that are affected in LGMD are responsible for various forms of muscle function, and when there is a fault in one of these genes supporting muscle functions, the muscles cannot work properly and hence weakness occurs in those parts of muscles.
Family History of Muscular Dystrophy
It genetically has 2 inheritances, that is, Autosomal recessive inheritance and Autosomal dominant inheritance.
- Autosomal recessive inheritance : It is a genetic condition where both the parents must pass on the non-working and defective gene for a child to have the disease.
- Autosomal dominant inheritance : It is a condition where only one parent passes on the non-working and defective gene to affect the child with the disease.
- Most of the time the first symptom experienced is pelvic muscle weakness where a person has trouble standing from a sitting position without the support of arms, difficulty in climbing the stairs
- Abnormal gait and walk which is waddling type mostly
- Shoulder weakness
- Large and muscular-looking calf muscles which are considered as pseudohypertrophy, which are not at all actually strong and they just look bigger without any strength
- Loss of muscle mass, thinning of certain body parts due to muscle wasting
- Weakness in the muscles of the lower legs, feet and lower arms,hands
- Low back ache
- Joints that are fixed in a contracted position and leading to difficulty in movements
- Weakness of the muscles in the face due to progression of the disease to distal muscles
Diagnosis of LGMD
It is diagnosed clinically based on the symptoms and medical history of the patient aided by the laboratory investigations such as,
- Blood creatine kinase levels
- Molecular genetic testing
- Echocardiogram ( ECG )
- Electromyogram ( EMG )
- Muscle biopsy
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Herbal Remedies for LGMD By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers the best herbal formulations for the effective management and treatment of the LGMD. These effective herbal remedies are 100 % natural and made with compliance of ayurvedic principles.
Herbal Formulations and Their Dosage
- Ashwagandha capsule : 2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.
- Musli strength : 2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.
- Shatavari capsule : 2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.
- Boswellia curcumin : 2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water
- Brahmi chyawanprash : 2 teaspoon twice daily after meals preferably with milk.
1. Ashwagandha Capsule
Ashwagandha is a highly revered and respected herb in ayurvedic pharmacopeia and Planet Ayurveda offers this in a capsule form made for easy consumption with a standardized herbal extract. It is highly beneficial in stress, anxiety, palpitations, loss of weight and many other conditions. It helps to bring back muscle strength and provides strength to the body along with building up of the body. It relieves the pain due to muscular spasm and calms down the system.
2. Musli Strength Capsules
It is a patent product offered by Planet Ayurveda, It is a standardized herbal extract of the herb Musli made in capsule form for easy consumption. It helps as an Anti-oxidant and Anti-inflammatory and thereby helps to relieve pain. It helps to increase immunity and acts as an adaptogenic. It is Rasayan and Balya ( provides strength to body and muscles ).
3. Boswellia Curcumin
It is a patent product offered from the house of Planet Ayurveda which is a standardized herbal extract of the herbs Shallaki and Haridra. It is highly beneficial in maintaining joint health and helps to relieve the pain. It is one of the most effective anti-inflammatory herbal combinations. It helps in reducing the inflammation and stiffness thereby reducing the pain and easing the joint mobility and acts upon the root of pain.It helps in managing the muscular health and assists in regaining the lost strength.
4. Shatavari Capsules
It is a standardized herbal extract in a capsule form manufactured by Planet Ayurveda. Shatavari acts as Rasayan , enhances the agni ( digestive fire ) and helps to keep the body fit and healthy and provides strength to the body. It aids to overcome the low density of bones and weak bones. It is a rich source of nutrients such as Calcium, Vitamin B , Folic acid , Potassium, Fiber and Zinc.
5. Brahmi Chyawanprash
Brahmi chyawanprash is an ayurvedic herbal product from the house of Planet Ayurveda made in compliance with principles of Ayurveda. It helps to maintain the balance between the bodily dosha and bodily dhatus. It provides strength and energy to the body and revitalizes the shareera. It acts as rejuvenative and improves immunity of the body.
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing/ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or Call at 0172-521-4030 (India), +91-172-521-4030 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604.