- Fungal infections, they just don’t limit to a city, village, country or continent, you can find them anywhere in the world and anybody could be a victim of this problem.
- They can strike on any part of the body. There is no age barrier for this disease. A baby having thrush, a jock with an athlete`s foot and a woman having vaginal yeast infection are some examples of the fungal disease.
- Fungi, just the name it makes us shiver but some of the fungi are usable, they are usable in our kitchen e.g. Mushrooms, these are also fungi, which we can eat, but another type of fungi such as spergillus, which is very dangerous and lead to serious diseases. So some kind of fungus is good and some of them are dangerous for us.
- Chitin is a substance, which is found in cell walls of fungi, fungi are microorganisms. Fungal infections can be caused by different types of fungi, sometimes they are not typically found inside the body and cause an infection, and sometimes they are present in our body, keeps multiplying and leads to an infection.
- From a person to person fungal infection can spread rapidly, it is a contagious disease. Sometimes even due to soil contamination or animal infected by fungus, this disease can affect you.
Types of Fungal Infections
1. Athlete`s Foot
”Tineapedis” is the other name given to “Athlete`s foot”. The cause of this problem is a fungi, known as dermatophytes, it is a group of many fungi, which can strike in the humid and warm areas between the toes.
Most athletes are prone to this disease and can spread from one person to another. When you use a common shower (public washroom or public toilet) or a locker room of sports club or common community locker room or locker room of a gym, you can fall easy prey for this disease.
Symptoms of Athlete`s Foot
Burning sensation on your toes or other parts of the foot, followed by itching, due to this condition skin cracks, peel or blister.
In physical examination just by looking at the Symptoms, a doctor may recognize it. If a doctor is not satisfied with a physical examination, he might ask you for the biopsy of the skin, by scraping off the skin for fungus test.
2. Yeast Infection
Yeast infection is also called Candida albinos that can infect the skin, gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract or genitals. It is normally on your skin and in your body. But when these fungi multiply more than normal, on a large scale which results in yeast infections.
Oral thrush, which causes white patches in your mouth and throat.
Yeast infection in women is common, it is mostly found in the vaginal area of women hence known as vaginal yeast infections. It can cause pain with itchiness, swelling of vaginal area with redness and a clumpy discharge happens.
In oral thrush, your doctor can examine the affected area by using a swab to rub the affected areas. In the lab, this swab is then cultured to examine if there are any fungi or any microbes presence or not.
3. Toenail Fungus
Onychomycosis or Toenail fungus is also known as “Tinea unguium” is a fungal infection, which can affect your toenails, fingernails and nail beds.
Toenail fungus usually starts on your nail as a small light-colored spot. When it spreads deeper, it changes the color of your nail, hence the nail becomes thicker and rough in shape. Nail looks like, lifting off the nail bed, white or yellow streaks on the nail, scaling under the nail, flakiness or crumbling of the nail are the signs of the toenail fungus.
4. Jock Itch
It is known as “Tinea cruris” is a fungal infection that affects the skin on the groin area; infection can spread to parts of the inner thighs and buttocks. Mostly found in boys and men but women and girls cannot stay away from this disease, they can strike anybody.
Redness with a feeling of burning sensation and itchiness too are the signs of this disease.
Ayurveda and Fungal Infections
“Kapha” which symbolizes mucus, and “Vata” symbolizes air or wind. According to Ayurveda, this condition of fungal infection is diagnosed as “Dadru”. When Kapha and Vata manifest in the skin, causing accumulation of the toxins. These toxins cause contamination of deeper tissues, and aggravation of Kapha and Vata leads to fungal infection.
Treatment for Fungal Infection
It is often used to treat many kinds of infections, it can be used to treat fungi like candida, trichophyton, torulopsis, and Cryptococcus.
How to Use it
By crushing the cloves of garlic add some olive oil into it and make a paste of this mixture and apply on the affected area with a ball of cotton.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antifungal properties to fight with Candida.
How to Use it
After soaking the ball of cotton in apple cider vinegar, apply it to the affected area.
3. Aloe Vera
It contains 6 antiseptic agents, which are very beneficial for antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral activities.
How to Use it
Apply aloe Vera gel on the affected area with a ball of cotton. It provides cooling effects.
4. Coconut Oil
Fatty acids in coconut oil kill the fungal infection by destroying their cell membranes. It is used as a moisturizing agent.
How to Use it
Just with a cotton ball, apply it 3 to 4 times a day on the affected area.
5. Tea Tree Oil
From centuries tea tree oil is used to kill pathogens of fungi and other infections caused by microbes.
How to Use It
After mixing it with coconut oil just apply to the skin 3 times a day until the condition persists.
- Avoid fried spicy food, sour and excessively sweet foods, chutneys, sauces, vinegar, mustard, pickled food, etc.
- Non-veg should be stopped for the patient of the fungal disease until the problem persists.
- Alcohol, tea, cold drinks, coffee, and all other Pitta aggravating foods should be totally avoided.
- Fresh veggies, fresh fruits, cow’s milk and ghee made with cow milk, whole grains, and probiotics, etc. are the foods that should be taken to avoid fungal infection.
In this article, we have mentioned some of the Ayurvedic tips to get rid of fungal infection and home remedies to shun away from this problem of fungal infection. In case your problem is getting not treated with these above-mentioned tips and home remedies then you must consult with your doctor.