Our respiratory system is more prone to develop infections as compared to other systems because of direct contact with the atmosphere i.e. our lungs are exposed directly to the dust, pollutants, mists, etc. foreign bodies. Another major reason is our decreased immunity, which reduces the defense mechanism against these bacteria and viruses. Some triggering and provoking factors are our habits like smoking and drinking. Smoking directly affects our cilia’s (tiny hair-like organelles that beat in rhythmic waves to expel foreign materials) thus gives way to enter bacteria, viruses, and foreign bodies. The most common disease of the respiratory system is Asthma – ‘A life-threatening disease’ that has affected lots of population. So, one of the herbs popularly known as ‘Dambel plant’ is an effective herb to treat respiratory disorders. It is a perennial climbing herb that grows in tropical regions like Asia, Africa, Sri Lanka, and Malaysia. In India, it is found in Odisha, Bihar, etc.
The botanical name is – Tylophora indica
Hindi name – Antamool, damabuti
Family – Asclepiadaceae or Apocynaceae
Properties of Dambel Plant
- Composition – It contains alkaloids, saponins, tannins, Tylophorinine, flavonoids. etc
- It has properties like – anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antihistamine and also acts as an expectorant and laxative.
- Acts on – Respiratory system, immune system, digestive system, and on our skin
As Mentioned in Our Classics
- Rasa (Taste) – Madhura (sweet in taste)
- Vipaka (an End product of digestion) – Madhura i.e. an end product that we get after digestion is sweet.
- Virya (Potency) – Cold in potency
How Dambel Plant Helps In Curing Respiratory System Ailments?
Tylophora indica has swasa-Kasahara property – i.e. it treats bronchial asthma and cough. It is helpful in productivity as well as in non – productive asthma.
ASTHMA – तमके तु विरेचनं – As per our classics the prime management of Asthma is ‘Virechana’.
In severe conditions, we need to induce purgations that help to eliminate vitiated pitta from the body because Pitta is a prime site of vitiation. It is a laxative hence beneficial in eliminating pitta along with Kapha.
This herb liquefies the accumulated toxins and phlegm; it dilates the alveoli, bronchioles, and trachea, reduces inflammation and eliminates the Kapha thus, eases the breathing.
If the cause of accumulation is excess production of mucus, then by its immune booster action it corrects the functioning of cells and reduces the excess production along with that it also reduces allergy by increasing the action of T- helper cells.
- Skin problems – Because of anti-bacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties it helps to reduce infections, swelling and aids wound healing. The decoction and paste can be used topically
- Allergies – It has antihistamine property, reduces antigen production by developing antibodies.
- Rheumatism – It is also an autoimmune disorder. Hence this herb is effective as it boosts immunity and has anti-inflammatory action.
In Asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease’s), skin infections, allergies, autoimmune disorders, whooping cough, rhinitis, rheumatoid arthritis, constipation, wounds, etc.
Leaves and roots
- Powder – 3 to 5 grams
- Decoction – 30 to 40 ml
The action of this herb is prolonged and efficient if used with the combination of some other herbs. Basically, the herbs we required to treat asthma should have the function of
- Bronchodilatation (Dilates the bronchioles, thus eases the way to eliminate cough and for air flow)
- Mucolytic action (Dilutes the mucous thus, liquefies all the accumulated toxins)
- Expectorant (Eliminates the mucous thus clears the channels)
- Anti-inflammatory (Reduces inflammation of respiratory tract)
- Immune booster (Enhances immunity to reduce the chances of bacterial and virus attacks)
So, “Planet Ayurveda” is offering a pack by the name of ‘Asthma care pack’ which is able to fulfill the needs of Asthmatic patients.
Asthma Care Pack
A unique combination of herbs, but the efficacy of these herbs in managing respiratory tract disorders was proven thousand years ago by our scholars. These herbs help to increase vital functions of the respiratory system along with that they also sooth and clear the blocked channels. It helps to remove accumulated ‘Kapha’ and makes a suitable path for ‘praana Vata’.
Asthma Care Pack includes
- Praanrakshak Churna
- Aller G care
- Tulsi capsules
1. Praanrakshak Churana
As the name of the medicine suggests, this is the effective medicine that helps to treat all the diseases of Respiratory tract to restore life or ‘prana’. Asthma is one among those conditions. This powder is a combination of Madhuyashti, Anantmool, Vaasa, Shirish, Dalchini, and Bharangi.
These herbs act as an expectorant and they help to clear channels by removing the accumulated Kapha. They also help to relax smooth muscles, thus, dilate bronchioles hence act as a bronchodilator. Also, does mucolytic action by that it liquefies whole mucous.
Dosage: 1 teaspoon twice daily with plain water, after meals.
2. Aller-G Care
The ingredients of Aller – G care are Neem, Shirish, Ashwagandha, and Haridra. These herbs act as anti-histamines. They fight against those bacteria and viruses which are responsible for respiratory tract infections. They also help to boost up body’s defense mechanism to perish the flora of these bacteria and viruses.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water, after meals.
3. Tulsi Capsules
Basil is an immune modulator herb along with that it also soothes the whole respiratory system. It helps to boost immunity hence reduces the chance of infection. This herb as a supplement helps to improve, restore and maintain the lung function.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water, after meals.
4. Shwas Kuthar Ras
Shwash Kuthar Ras is a Herbo mineral classical formulation. This formulation is really effective in almost all the respiratory problems but has it’s best result in Asthma.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily with warm water after meals.
- While using any medicine for obstructive disorders of respiratory system avoid curd, milk and sour food stuffs.
- For better results, use lukewarm water.