In common language, GERD is called as Acidity and Acid Reflux. GERD stands for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease. In this situation, acid is pushed back to the tube that connects the mouth to stomach, which is called Esophagus, due to which irritation or burning sensation is present in esophagus.
According to Ayurvedic Description
The Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease is called AMLAPITTA. It occurs due to a disturbance in Pitta DOSHA. According to Ayurveda, Pitta dosha is aggravated due to eating highly spicy, smoky food during in hot climatic condition, and create Mandagani due to which digestion becomes poor and then vitiated Pitta doshas produce toxins that is pushed backward into the food pipe, as a result, burning sensation occur.
It is the disease that commonly affects the LOWER ESOPHAGEAL SPHINCTER (LES). LES is the rings of the muscle, which is present between the esophagus and stomach. During the normal digestion, the LES is open for entering the food which is passes out into the stomach and then LES closes for preventing food, stomach juices and acid to flow in an opposite direction. But in this case, LES muscles movement is weakened.
Causes of Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease
The muscle of Lower Esophageal Sphincter is weak and relaxes due to some following reasons that are:
- In fatty persons, it is the common problem. Due to heavy weight, fat put pressure on the abdominal muscles. So, in the overweight or in obese person, GERD is the common problem.
- Less intake of water, also is another cause. Increase intake of water to balance the acidic level of the stomach. Dehydration increases the acidity
- Western foods and beverages also put a bad impact on the abdomen, like excessive intake of spicy food, junk food, smoky-heated food, oily food is also one of the major cause of GERD.
- Extra intake of alcohol also affects the digestive system
- GERD can also occur in SMOKERS
- Intake of some medicines, increases the chances of GERD
- Excessive intake of tea and coffee on an empty stomach produces acid reflux disorder.
- In hypertension, the medicines increase the risk of GERD.
- Long term use of medications of asthma, make your body extra sensitive.
- Painkillers can also cause acid reflux
- Antihistamines also create an allergic effect
- Sleeping disorder medicines like sedatives also affect the GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT.
Medicines for Neurological disorders like Antidepressants put an adverse effect on GIT.
- GERD is also a symptom in some disorders like in Hiatal Hernia and patient with Hypertension, Cholelithiasis (Gallstone) may have a complaint of acid reflux.
- During pregnancy, acid reflux is the major problem due to the increased size of the uterus that create pressure on the digestive tract.
Symptoms of Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disorder
- The main symptom of the acid reflux is acidity. It is also called Heartburn. It is a feeling of discomfort in the chest region and produce a burning sensation. Some other are:
- Nausea or feel like vomiting out
- Some respiratory problems, like person feel difficulty in breathing and breathlessness
- The patient also has to face the bad breath problem, that’s
- The person feels difficulty in swallowing because of acidity problem
- Indigestion is present because of increased stomach acid Burping is present with sour taste.
- Loss of appetite because of feeling like vomit and persistence indigestion
- Body weakness due to the less intake of food.
- Abdominal discomfort
Complications of Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease
Respiratory disorders can occur. The stomach acid reach to the lung that creates various problems like asthma, inflammation in larynx called laryngitis, pneumonia, congestion of chest, asthma.
- Inflammation of Esophagus can also occur that is called ESOPHAGITITS
- The food pipe becomes narrow and due to which it is difficult to swallow. This condition is called Esophageal Stricture.
- The severe case of acid reflux can also lead to Barrett’s Esophagus. In this condition, the cells of the esophagus change into similar as like the lining of the intestinal cells. This furtherly develops into the CANCER.
- Mouth ulcers can be produced.
Home Remedies for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease
- Chewing gum: by chewing sugar free gum for about thirty minutes after every meal. This procedure gives you relief from acid reflux, and also improves your digestion.
- Taking a cold chilled one glass of milk also help in relieving acid reflux.
- Take a pan add about one glass of water in it. Add cinnamon stick, some pieces of ginger and boil them on medium flame. Strain the liquid, and let it be lukewarm and drink this ginger-cinnamon tea early in the morning on an empty stomach and before bedtime at night.
- Take about half a glass of hot water, add one to two teaspoons of honey in it. This remedy improves your digestion and gives you relief from acid reflux.
- After eating the meal don’t lie down or sit. Go for a five to ten-minute walk that helps in digestion.
- Stay more and more hydrated, drink water as according to your body weight. Like person with 20 kg weight has to drink 1 liter water in a day, for 40 kg weight 2 liter water intake should be there.
- Just simply take a one cup of warm glass of water, on empty stomach in the morning time and during going to the bed.
- Eat fruit, ripened banana can be eaten that reduces the acid reflux. Other fruits cantaloupe and watermelon should also be added to your diet plan. Avoid citrus fruits because they are acidic in nature.
- Avoid junk food and oily food that are spicy.
- Try to eat light and low spice food items.
- Avoid intake of alcohol and stop smoking.
- Do yoga for the improvement of digestive system like Kapalbhati, COBRA-POSE etc.
- Increase your physical activities that will increase digestive system working.
- And try to lose you’re your weight that will keep you healthy.