Low blood pressure is also called hypotension. Abnormally low blood pressure can cause fainting and dizziness. Hypotension is a life-threatening condition in severe cases.
Normal blood pressure is 120/80mmHg. If the systolic pressure is below 90 mmHg and diastolic pressure is below 60 mmHg, then that condition is termed as hypotension.
- Loss of blood due to certain conditions
- Intake of medications (Diuretics, Alpha blockers, Beta blockers, etc)
- Some medical conditions that can cause low blood pressure, they are – Pregnancy, Heart problems (Bradycardia, heart valve problems, heart attack, heart failure), Dehydration, Endocrine problems (Parathyroid disease, Addison’s disease, Hypoglycemia), severe infections (septicemia).
- Lack of nutrients in your diet leads to low blood pressure.
Types of Low Blood Pressure
Hypotension is categorized depending on the causes and other factors
- Orthostatic, or postural hypotension (Low blood pressure occurs on changing postures like – suddenly standing up from a sitting or lying position)
- Low blood pressure after eating (Postprandial hypotension).
- Neural mediated hypotension (Low blood pressure from impaired brain signals)
- Multiple system atrophy with orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure due to nervous system damage)
- Lack of concentration
- Syncope (fainting)
- Blurred vision
- Increased thirst
- A feeling of lightheadedness
- Shock –extremely low blood pressure can result in this life-threatening condition.
Low Blood Pressure in Ayurveda
- In Ayurveda, low blood pressure is called Nyuna Raktachap.
- Nyuna Raktchap (low blood pressure) is the result of the weakness of the digestive fire. Three doshas Vata, Pitta, and Kapha affect normal blood pressure (Raktachap).
Let us see how these doshas affect blood pressure:
- Vata dosha: When Vata dosha is vitiated, it impairs the poor circulation of blood.
- Pitta dosha: When Pitta dosha is vitiated, it causes to anemic conditions and affects the function of the liver.
- Kapha dosha: When Kapha dosha causes an obstruction and congestion in the circulatory channels, it reduces the blood flow, hence affects blood pressure.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Low Blood Pressure
At Planet Ayurveda, there are some natural supplements that are very effective in maintaining low blood pressure, they are
It is the combination of purely herbal ingredients described in ancient texts. Arjun tea is the most effective herbal remedy for blood pressure and heart care, high cholesterol, fatigue, blocked coronary arteries. The concept of arjun tea is based on preparation described in ayurveda texts as “Ksheer pak” which means boiling the herbs in milk and water to get both water soluble and fat-soluble liquid extracts from the herbs to get maximum benefits.
Arjun tea ingredients are Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Pipal tvak(Ficus religiosa), Dalchini(Cinnamomum zeylanicum), Chhoti elaichi(Elettaria cardamomum). The bark of Arjuna tree is healthy for overall health but it is extremely beneficial for maintaining normal blood pressure.
1 cup daily is recommended.
Ashwagandha is also known as Withania somnifera, poison gooseberry or winter cherry. Planet Ayurveda’s Ashwagandha capsules are prepared using a pure extract of herb Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). Planet Ayurveda’s ashwagandha capsules are effective for stress, anxiety, aging, fatigue, palpitation, nervous breakdown, neuropathy due to diabetes, loss of weight due to cancer or diabetes or any other reason. Planet Ayurveda’s ashwagandha capsules bring the strength back to muscles, remove fatigue and calm down the system. It is also used for children growth and as well as good for old age people.
1-3 capsules twice daily with plain water, after meals.
Daily essentials by Planet Ayurveda is the best herbal supplement for maintaining health and hundred percent natural product & pure vegetarian formula. Daily essentials support a healthy immune system. Daily essentials capsules ingredients are Grapeseed (Vitis vinifera), Cow colostrums(Bovine colostrums), Bhumi amla (Phyllanthus niruri), Green tea( Camellia sinensis).
These capsules are free from chemicals, preservatives, starch, additives, colors, yeast, binders, fillers, etc.
1-2 capsules twice daily, after meals with plain water.
Wheat Grass Powder
The scientific name of wheatgrass powder is Triticum aestivum. Hindi name ‘Kanak ki Planet Ayurveda’s wheatgrass powder has great health and therapeutic benefits. It is commonly known as bread wheat. Planet Ayurveda’s wheat grass powder is 100% natural and vegetarian formula. It maintains three dosha and free from preservatives, chemicals, starch, additives, colors, and yeast.
1 teaspoon mixed in a glass of water, to be taken 2-3 times per day.
Home Remedies for Low Blood Pressure
- Have adequate salt- increasing sodium intake moderately will help in raising blood pressure. Excessive salt diet is very harmful to human health but on the other hand, it is required in moderate quantities.
- Drink 2-3 liters water daily.
- Drink more fluids like lemon juice, carrot juice, coconut water, pomegranate juice.
- A cup of coffee can be useful as it helps to maintain low blood pressure temporarily
- Basil leaves –Every morning chew 5-7 basil (Tulsi) leaves.
- Cross legs while sitting can also be useful.
- Wear compression stocking- Stocking helps to reduce the amount of blood that gets caught in the lower legs and feet.
- Almonds, milk, munakka, green tea are also helpful in low blood pressure.
- Avoid sudden position changes sitting up or standing up rapidly can cause a feeling of dizziness, lightheadedness and sometimes fainting.
Pranayama & Yoga
- Kapal Bhati pranayama
- Bhastrika pranayama
- Suryabhedi pranayama
- Adho mukha svanasana