Hidradenitis suppurativa is a skin condition that causes small painful lumps under the skin. These Lumps are present near the skin of sweat glands. These lumps become painful when they get infected. When these lumps heal they become scars and tracts. In this article we are going to discuss symptoms, causes and herbal management of Hidradenitis suppurativa.
Hidradentis is a skin condition that develops in many forms like small, pimple-like bumps to deeper acne-like nodules. Usually these lesions appear in areas where skin rubs with each other such as armpits or groin region. Initially these lesions are in the form of bumps and they can get infected. When they are left uncured they turn into scars and tracts under the skin.
As per doctors Hidradenitis suppurativa has three stages depending on the skin lesions.
- In the first stage there are single or multiple lesions and there is also presence of little scarring.
- Second stage is characterised by single and multiple lesions along with few tunnels and scarring.
- In stage three there are multiple lesions on the whole body with a number of tunnels and scarring.
The main symptom of Hidradentitis is the presence of skin lump which is very painful. These lumps are present in following areas :
- Under breasts
- Between the buttocks
- Inner thighs
- Anal region
The skin lumps are red in color and they are very painful. There is also presence of deep nodules that leak due to infection. If Hidradentitis is left untreated it can worsen your condition. These painful lumps are converted into tunnels. The lumps burst and cause leakage of pus, this pus is foul smelling. The last stage is scarring which is extremely infectious and causes breakout of skin.
The exact cause of HS is not known yet. Certain genetic factors and environment factors are thought to be responsible for HS. Basically there is blockage of certain sweat glands (Apocrine glands). These apocrine glands are present in high numbers in the armpit and groin area. Blockage of glands leads to trapping of bacteria that leads to infection and pus formation. When this condition starts healing there is scarring of skin. The main cause of blockage remains unclear.
There are few factors which can contribute to Hidradentitis and leads to more complications. These include :
- Hormonal changes
- Wrong dietary habits
- Tobacco consumption
There are some home remedies through which can help to reduce pain and infection. These includes –
- Maintain good hygiene and it goes a long way to prevent infections. Take shower on a regular basis and clean your body parts properly. Avoid wearing tight clothes to avoid sweat and for easy breathing space. Prefer cotton clothes as they do not cause skin irritation.
- Aloe vera has soothing effects and for this condition you can apply aloe vera gel and coconut oil. Apply this mixture thrice daily to the affected area and rinse off after 20 minutes. You can also use a mixture of aloe vera and turmeric. Turmeric has antiseptic and antimicrobial action that helps in prevention of infection.
- Apple cider remedy is another effective remedy but always dilute apple cider vinegar before using it as undiluted vinegar can cause more skin irritation.
- You can use lukewarm water to treat such skin lumps. Soak a towel in warm water and squeeze off excess water. Place this towel on the affected area for 20 minutes. It will help in prevention of further infection.
- Neem is very effective to treat skin infections. Take 10 to 12 neem leaves and make a paste with water. Apply this paste on the affected area and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse after 30 minutes and apply coconut oil with the help of a cotton swab.
Herbal Remedies by Planet Ayurveda
1. Kaishor Guggul
Guggul (Cammiphora mukul) is main ingredient of Kaishor guggul, other herbs used are Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Ginger (Zingiber offininale), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Pippali (Piper longum), Vidang (Emblica ribs) etc. These tablets have blood purifying properties and help to remove toxins from blood. Kaishor guggul has antibacterial, analgesic, anti inflammatory properties and it is quite useful in treating skin infections.
Dosage – 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Radiant Skin Nail Hair Formula
It is prepared by Manjishta (Rubia cordifolia), Pitpapda (Fumaria officinalis), Ghritkumarii (Aloe barbadensis). The ingredients of these capsules are beneficial to maintain normal healthy skin, nails and hair. This herbal formulation has potent herbs which are beneficial in prevention of skin infections.
Dosage- 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals only.
3. Gandhak Rasayan
Gandhak rasayan is prepared by combining shuddha gandhak (Purified sulphur) with Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) etc. Gandhak rasayan is rich in antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial action hence useful to overcome Hidradenitis suppurativa’s symptoms.
Dosage – 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals only.
4. Manjistha Capsules
Manjistha capsules is an excellent remedy offered by Planet Ayurveda. Manjistha capsules are prepared by using Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia). These capsules are highly effective to manage various types of skin ailments. Manjishta herb is considered as the best blood purifier herb in Ayurveda.
Dosage – 2 capsules twice daily after meals only.
5. Dermoplan Syrup
Dermoplan syrup by Planet Ayurveda is a blend of powerful herbs that gives relief in various skin ailments. It contains ingredients like Manjishta (Rubia cordifolia), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus), Haridra (Curcuma longa) etc. All these herbs in combination promote blood purification.
Dosage – 2 tsp thrice daily after meals.
6. Nirgundi Oil and Jatyadi Oil
Both of these oils are very effective to heal skin lesions. These oils have analgesic, antibacterial and antiinflammatory action. Jatyadi oil is prepared by using Neem (Azadirachta indica), Koot (Saussurea lappa), Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia) etc. Jatyadi oil is efficient to manage wound healing and blister formation. Nirgundi (Vitex negundo) is the main herb of nirgundi oil. Nirgundi oil is also effective to promote quick healing of wounds and removes acne scars. Both of these oils are used for local application.
How to use – Apply over the affected area thrice daily.
Hidradenitis suppurativa is a rare yet very painful skin condition. If left untreated it can cause scarring and tunnel formation. HS can be managed at home with home remedies and pure herbal formulations. These formulations are formulated to minimize the chronic effects of HS. These remedies are chemical free and totally safe to use.
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing/ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or Call at 0172-521-4030 (India), +91-172-521-4030 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604.