So according to Psychology when a person finds something scary or it is difficult for them to face a particular situation, we try to expose them to it. So, gradually what happens is that they get used to it step by step. We as a society find it very difficult to talk about genitals or sex in an honest way honestly.
Intercourse, sex, or lovemaking is a natural part of life, and both the partners whether men or women should feel comfortable in it. We have reached the 20th century but still, the world is dominated by males and the same goes for intercourse. The male gender is mostly very comfortable speaking about their love life and sexuality but this is not the case with females. Its found taboo when women talk about their love life especially in India.
There are millions of women who suffer from intense pain during intercourse and they don’t even talk about it. It is high time that we should discuss female health and find solutions for it. Many women suffer from Vaginismus which causes them excruciating pain whenever they insert something like even tampons or menstrual cups in their vagina and most of them are left undiagnosed. Even gynecologists are not able to diagnose it property and today we are going to throw light on this topic along with its treatment in Ayurveda
First Let’s Discuss A Little About the Anatomy of Pelvic Muscles
The pelvic floor muscles are located in the cavity pelvic and this is a funnel-shaped structure. These pelvic muscles stretch like a hammock from the pubic bone at the front to the tail bone at the back and from side to side. They play an important role in supporting bladder and bowel and also sexual functioning.
The Structure of Pelvic Floor
This attaches to the wall of our lesser pelvis which helps in separating the pelvic cavity from the perineum which is present inferiorly. This includes the anus and the genital, it has two separate holes that help in defecation and urination. These two holes are:-
- Urogenital hiatus:- It is situated anteriorly where the gap present in it helps in allowing the passage for the vagina and urethra.
- Rectal hiatus:- This gap is present in the center where it allows passage for the anal canal.
In between the anal canal and the urogenital hiatus has a fibrous node which is called the perineal body.
There are three components present on the floor of the pelvis:-
- Levator ani muscles
- Coccygeus muscle
- Fascia covering the muscles.
Levator Ani Muscles
It is a wide sheet of muscle that is divided into three parts of muscles that are pubococcygeus, puborectalis, and iliococcygeus.
- Puborectalis: This muscle is a U-shaped sling that extends from the pubic bone and passes the urogenital hiatus present around the anal canal. Its sustained contraction is responsible for bending the canal anteriorly making the anorectal angle at the anorectal junction and this is where the anus meets the rectum. The function of this layer is to maintain fecal continence and relax the muscle while passing stool.
- Pubococcygeus: The muscle fibers present in the pubococcygeus are the main components of the levator ani. They start from the pubic bone to the anteriorly present tendinous arch. These fibers are present around the urogenital hiatus running posteromedially and connecting the anococcygeal with the coccyx ligament.
- Iliococcygeus: These are thin muscles that start from the ischial spine present anteriorly and tendinous arch present posteriorly. They get attached to the anococcygeal and the coccyx ligament.
The coccygeus is one of the smaller muscles and presents posteriorly. Coccygeus originates from the ischial spine and it runs all the way to the lateral aspect of the coccyx and sacrum.
Function of Pelvic Floor Muscles
There are basically five main functions of the Pelvic muscles which include:-
- The muscles help in wrapping the pelvic floor and controlling the movement of the rectum and bladder. They are important for relaxing the lengthening which is useful in urination and preventing leakage.
- They help in supporting the organ-like rectum, bladder, and uterus. They work against gravity and stop them from protruding. It works when there is an excessive strain which is especially noted in pregnant women.
- Pelvic muscles are very important for maintaining the core and controlling the movement of the hip and sacroiliac joint.
- It helps in stretching and relaxation while performing sexual intercourse and is also very necessary for orgasm. Excessive tension on the pelvic floor can result in pain.
- Just like the calf muscles present in the legs help in piping blood to the heart, the pelvic muscles help in blood pumps for the pelvis.
What is Vaginismus?
There are women whose pelvic muscles do not contract or relax as they should and they suffer severe pain known as vaginismus.
Vaginismus is basically the condition that involves the muscle spasm present in the pelvic floor muscles. This results in difficult painful and impossible to insert tampons, menstrual cups, it is difficult to undergo gynecological examination and to have sexual intercourse.
Whenever a woman tries to insert an object like speculum, tampon, or penis there is excruciating pain in the vagina, due to tightness caused by the involuntary contraction of the muscles present in the pelvic floor. This can result in muscle spasm, difficulty in breathing due to so much pain. Vaginismus is very commonly seen in European countries because females are sexually active from a very early age.
The most common site affected in Vaginismus is the Pubococcygeus muscles which are responsible for intercourse, childbirth, orgasm, urination, and bowel movement. If left untreated it can get worse and result in depression.
There are different types of Vaginismus including
- Primary vaginismus:- This type is responsible for affecting the relationship and stress between partners. It is a lifetime problem where the pain is present from the starting which makes it difficult for them to use tampons or having a gynecological examination. It is mainly experienced during the first time of intercourse and the male partner finds it unable to insert the penis. The male partner describes it as hitting a wall in the vagina. The woman may suffer from muscle spasms, pain, and sometimes shortness of breath.
- Secondary vaginismus:- In this type, the woman has already performed sexual intercourse and has never felt any pain. This stage can occur at any time and may have never happened to you. This type can be caused due to infection, relationship issues, childbirth, surgery, menopause, and traumatic events.
- Global vaginismus:- This is always present and can be triggered by any object.
- Situational vaginismus:- This is seen in certain situations like during sex only but it never happens during inserting tampons or gynecological examination.
What are the Symptoms?
The symptoms may vary from person to person but commonly seen signs are:-
- Dyspareunia (Painful sex) along with tightness and burning sensation.
- Impossible to penetrate anything into the vagina.
- Long-term pain after doing sexual intercourse without any cause.
- Excruciating pain while performing the gynecological examination.
- Spasm of muscles and difficulty in breathing while doing sexual intercourse.
The pain may range from mild to severe and it may cause discomfort sensation as well. Vaginismus does not cause any effect from becoming sexually aroused but a woman can become anxious about intercourse. This can cause them from avoiding sex or penetration of any object.
What are the Causes?
Vaginismus is a condition that is resulted from emotional stress, physical stress, or maybe both.
Physical triggers include:-
- Urinary tract infection or Yeast infection.
- Pelvic surgery
- Health problems like Lichen or cancer
- Pelvic surgery
- Insufficient lubrication of the vagina
- Side effects from medications.
Emotional triggers include:-
- Fear of pain or pregnancy
- The anxiety of not performing or guilt
- The problem in a relationship like a partner is abusive
- History of a traumatic event like rape or sexual abuse
- While growing up getting exposed to sexual images.
How Vaginismus Can be Diagnosed?
It is important to note the medical as well as sexual history of the patient. A pelvic examination can roles out the presence of vaginismus (numbing cream is applied before the treatment)
According to modern science, the treatment for vaginismus is treating the underlying cause or applying topical therapy. The other permanent treatment could be a cosmetic treatment that is injecting botox in the vagina which could end up in some complications. This could result in more pain or post-traumatic stress disorder and instead of treating them, may complicate your life.
In Ayurveda Vaginismus is correlated with Kaphaja Yonivyaptah and is due to the violation of Kapha Dosha. This is caused due to excessive use of Abhishyandi substances (oily agents) which reach the reproductive system and result in Alpa Vedana (Pain in the vagina). This can be easily managed through herbal medicine which will treat vaginismus naturally and reduce pain as well.
Herbal Medicine Provided by Planet Ayurveda for Vaginismus
Planet Ayurveda helps in treating the patient as a whole and gives herbal medicine that is 100 percent pure, natural, and vegetarian. All the herbal products are made under the supervision of an MD Ayurvedic Doctor and they are all free from chemicals, preservatives as well as additives. Each herbal remedy is clinically tested making them safe to use and free of side-effects. Here is the list of herbal medicine:-
1. Female Health Support
As the name tells it helps in supporting the health of the female reproductive system as it is formulated with herbs like Ashoka (Saraca indica), Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), and Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus). It helps in balancing the Vata and Pitta Dosha and aids in regulating the hormones. Female health support assists in regulating the menstrual cycle and improving the libido which is mostly suffered by women who are suffering from vaginismus.
Dosage:- One capsule twice daily with water after meals.
2. Boswellia Curcumin
It is made from the combination of two excellent herbs known as Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa). It is effective in relaxing the muscles and reducing any kind of swelling present in the vagina. Boswellia curcumin is useful in improving the circulation around the affected region and is useful in treating ailments like extreme pain, dryness, and involuntary spasm.
Dosage:- One capsule twice daily after meals with water.
3. Yograj Guggul
This herbal remedy is made from a combination of different herbs like Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica), Pippali (Piper longum), Ajwain (Carum copticum), Guggul (Commiphora Mukul), and many more. All these herbs combined together help in pacifying the Vata and relaxing muscles as well as nerves. This is one of the wonderful herbal medicines that helps in the rejuvenation of muscles and giving them strength.
Dosage:- One capsule twice daily with water after meals.
4. Shatavari Capsules
shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) is known as the queen of all herbs and is one of the best herbs maintaining female health. It helps in reducing all the health problems faced by the woman after menopause and gives strength to the body. Shatavari is also very beneficial in reducing depression, anxiety, and maintaining mental stress.
Dosage:- Two capsules twice daily after meals with water.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Advice for Females
Firstly learn about vaginismus and get knowledge about the disease
- Visit a Doctor and discuss your mental as well as physical health.
- Try to learn about your own body and identify the cause of pain, discuss it with your partner as well.
- Practice Kegel exercise in order to strengthen your pelvic floor.
- Start working with a partner and build trust with him, adjust yourself according to the pain.
How You Can Help Your Partner if she is Suffering from Vaginismus?
- Always be supportive and remind her that you still love her no matter what and focus on treatment.
- Learn together and what treatments can be done, participate with her.
- Be patient and try to make her positive.
- Treatments can be long and it’s important to give them emotional support as well.
- Try to celebrate every little victory with her.
- Try to be intimate with her but without intercourse.
- Don’t stop your interest in intercourse and never cut off your desires as well.
Avoid getting exposed to toxic pesticides or chemicals and choose healthy foods like:-
- Drink vegetable juice, mineral juice, herbal teas, or coconut water.
- Try avoiding white sugars instead use raw honey or brown rice syrup.
- Include healthy fats like ghee, coconut oil, and olive oil
- Consume gluten-free products.
- Add legumes to the diet.
- Avoid spicy or citrus juice at any cost.
- Avoid dairy products, sugar, soybeans, chocolates, and potatoes.
- Do not drink alcohol and stop smoking.
- Try to Meditate daily in order to avoid any stress or anxiety.
Sexual problems can be suffered by anyone be it a man or woman and it is no one’s fault. We all are not the same and everyone’s body is different, every person reacts to things differently. Some bodies are not built for a particular thing and there is nothing to be ashamed of. It should be discussed and treated on time, as Ayurveda provides herbal medicine as mentioned above for treating Vaginismus naturally. “DON’T BE ASHAMED JUST FIGHT IT”