Increasing population day by day leads to the spread of various infectious diseases. To kill and fight with those infections, nature has gifted us a glorious herb named Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). Guduchi, Amrita, chakralakshanika, etc are the synonyms of Giloy. It possesses various health benefits and plenty of medicinal properties and can be used in various forms. Here we are going to provide all the relevant information about Giloy Ghan Vati and Guduchi Powder.
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)
Giloy is a wonderful herb gifted by the nature. It balances the tridoshas and maintains the overall body health by removing all the toxins.
गुडूची कटुका तिक्ता स्वादुपाका रसायनी ।
(भावप्रकाश निघण्टु, गुडूच्यादिवर्गः 8)
The above shloka gives us information about the properties of Giloy.
Its Rasa (Taste)is Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter), kashya (Astringent), Guna is Laghu (Light) and Vipaka (Post digestion effect) is Madhura (sweet). With all these properties, it balances the Vata, pitta, and Kapha dosha.
Here are the Various Health Benefits of Giloy
- Acts as antipyretic and analgesic
- Helpful in Respiratory tract infections.
- Great immune modulator.
- Maintains Normal blood sugar level.
- Works as Dahaprashamak (Burning sensation)
- Helpful in blood disorders
- Acts as a rejuvenating herb (Vaya sthapaka)
- Maintains the healthy digestive system
- Effective in deworming (Kriminashak)
- Acts as purgative
Common Giloy Formulations to be Used
Following are the Common Herbal Formulations
- Giloy Ghan Vati
- Giloy powder/Guduchi powder
Giloy Ghan Vati
In Ayurveda, Ghan is also known as Satva which means extract of giloy. Giloy Ghan Vati is prepared using the standardized extract of giloy (Tinospora cordifolia).The method of preparation for giloy satva is mentioned in Ayurvedic texts.
Method of Preparation for Giloy Extract
- Take the fresh stem of giloy and cut it into pieces and crush it.
- Immerse the pieces in the water and keep it for an hour.
- Then strain it well and boil on a high flame to get the extract.
- When got thick and jelly-like consistent, put it down and allow it to cool
- Make it dry in the sunlight until all the moisture gets soaked.
Potency and Indications of Giloy Ghan Vati
As per studies, Giloy Ghan vati is more potent because it is prepared using Standardized Giloy extract. It is indicated in chronic fever, Allergic reactions, and Respiratory tract infections like chronic cough, cold, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Tuberculosis (TB), etc.
Giloy Powder/ Guduchi Powder
Giloy powder is prepared using the stem of Giloy.
Method of preparation for Giloy Powder
- A stem of giloy is dried in sunlight.
- After all the moisture is absorbed, the dried stem is cut into small pieces.
- After that, it is blended and powder is prepared.
Potency and Indications of Giloy Powder
Giloy powder is less potent as it is prepared using the dried stem of Giloy. It is effective in the treatment of acute fever, Common cold and cough, indigestion, seasonal allergies etc. It is also helpful in gaining immunity and maintains the overall health.
Thus we can conclude that all the above-provided information shows giloy ghan vati is more potent than Giloy powder because one is prepared using the extract and the other is by stem. These formulations are 100% safe and prepared without using any chemicals and preservatives. The daily consumption of Giloy removes all the toxins from the body and boosts the immunity of the individual without causing any adverse effects.