In this present Era, a person experiences a range of emotions such as excitement, frustration, disappointment etc. These all often relate to specific events. Normally these are based on the frame of mind and the circumstances where you are surrounded. Endocrine system is one of the important body systems in our body. This system holds both physical and psychological functions. In today’s life, psychological disorders are becoming common and increasing day by day. Because today’s generation has very low tolerating power. They don’t tolerate even small things and get easily emotionally triggered. One of the causes of the psychological disorder is emotional trigger which is a basically hormonal imbalance. So in this article, we will discuss emotional triggers and how to identify these emotional triggers and their Ayurvedic treatment with the help of herbs and yoga exercises.
Emotional trigger is anything means it includes memories, events, experiences etc. This sparks your emotional reaction rather than your current mood. Emotional trigger is an action towards any topic which makes you uncomfortable and results in anger, unkind, terrified behavior. Everyone has some emotional triggers and it might be different from person to person. These include reminders of uncomfortable topics, unwanted memories, another person’s words or their actions. Different people have different personalities, behavior, lifestyle and problems. If we observe deeply then people have some specific triggers that provoke their response for ongoing situations.
How to Identify?
If you want to identify your emotional triggers, then just observe what topic or actions of others trigger your emotion. Then you come to know that this is your emotional trigger. It is important to identify your own emotional trigger, because it directly affects your mental health as well as physical health. In today’s world everyone is suffering from some kind of emotional triggers or we can say from mental conditions either child or old.
Some common situations that triggers your emotions are
- Criticism or disapproval
- Feeling unwanted
- Loss of independence
- Some trauma (post traumatic stress disorder)
- Ego problem
Symptoms when someone got emotionally triggered
- Chest pain
- Feeling of choking
- Increased heart rate
- Dissociation (Feeling of detachment from everyone)
- Hot flushes
- Profuse sweating
- Trembling sensation
What to do when you got emotionally triggered?
Here are some of the tips that will help you to overcome the situation and prevent your mental health.
- Try to avoid or ignore the situations that triggered your emotions (it’s true that it is difficult to avoid or it’s not really that simple to ignore the things that hurt you, but all you have to do is avoid these triggers).
- Take a break from or just excuse yourself from those situations.
- Just think twice and ask yourself why i am getting triggered, this is life that’s it. In this life you have to face good or bad times, you can’t do anything to avoid bad things in your life.
- One thing you can do is that if you get hurt then all you have to do is just say to that person who hurts you. It will less bother you, Instead of keeping things in your mind or in your heart. That will only cause mental disturbance or nothing else.
Now let’s just talk about this emotional trigger from an Ayurvedic perspective. Lets just see what Ayurveda says about these emotional triggers. In Ayurveda we can correlate these emotional triggers with Manas roga. There are two manas roga i.e. raj and tama. If they got increased, then they might lead to various psychological disorders.
Acharya charaka defined the physiological actions of the Mana
- Indriya Abhinivesha(Regulation of senses in an appropriate way)
- Swayasnigreha(protect yourself from unhealthy lifestyle)
- Uhovicharashcha(Applied aspects of different things in comparison with others
- Just thinking about what is good or what is bad for us.
Nidana (Causes) of manas roga
The causes of manas roga are
- Asatmeyaindriyartha sanyoga (inappropriate connection between soul, mind and senses)
- Pragya pradha (Manual mistakes done by an individual)
- Parinam (Result of misdeeds)
Triggering factors that are responsible for manas roga
The Triggering factors are
- Amarsh (intolerance)
- Krodha (Anger)
- Lobh (greed)
- Chinta (depression)
- Irshya (jealousy)
- Shoka (grief)
- Hath (obstinacy)
- Priti (Attachment)
Symptoms of Manas roga
The symptoms of manas roga are
- Mansik bhava utpatti (expression of various emotions and activites)
- Santrasa (suffocation)
- Vibrama (Delusions)
- Avyavasthita chittata (use of bad or rude words while talking)
- Bhram (illusions)
- Bhaya (fear)
Chikitsa (treatment) of Manas roga
Emotional triggers can be managed by Ayurveda in three ways:
- Daivvyapashrya chikitsa
- Yukti vyapashrya chikitsa
- Satvavjaya chikitsa
1. Daivvyapashrya chikitsa:-It includes the following points
- Repeated Mantras chanting
- Daily pooja for non- aggravation of the disease
- Use of Gemstones and disease pacifying drugs
- Nitya niyam karna as mentioned in patanjali yoga sutra such as shock (defecation and micturition), tup (meditation) etc.
- Visiting various spiritual places
2. Yukti vyapashrya chikitsa:- This includes
- Antah parimarjan
- Shastra pranidhana
1. Antah parimarjana chikitsa: This treatment can be done in two types i.e. sanshodhan and sanshman chikitsa.
Sanshodhan chikitsa: This includes panchakarma procedures such as Virechan (induced purgation), Vaman (induced Vomiting), basti (medicated Enema), nasya (nasal drops). These procedures help in detoxification of the body.
Sanshamana chikitsa: In this, herbs and herbal formulations are given to the patient such as Smriti sagar rasa, rasraj rasa, chaturbhuja rasa, Ashwagandha churna, Shankhpushpi churna, Jyotishmati churna , Arogyavardhini vati, Brahmi vati, mahakalyana ghrita, Brahmi ghrita, chawanprashavleha etc.
Shastra pranidhana (Surgical procedures): It is indicated in some of the manas roga. These shastra karma are Chedana(excision), bhedana (incision), Sewan (Suturing) , vyadhan (puncturing), prachann (type of bloodletting), patana (beating), Aeshan (probing) etc.
2. Satvavjaya chikitsa: This procedure is mainly for the treatment of manas roga (mental disorders). The ultimate goal is to increase the satva of the patient by detaching him/her from unpleasant subjects and influence the patient towards the pleasant subjects.
Yogasana in manas roga
Yoga is the best way to calm or relax the mind. This will give your mind a soothing effect. It will helpful in managing emotional triggers. Daily practice of yoga for at least 20 minutes helps in calming the mind.
Other benefits are
- It increases the flexibility and muscle strength
- It boosts up the mood and energy
- It aids in managing stress
- It improves cardiac health
Planet Ayurveda is a trusted leading manufacturing company. This company offers herbal products worldwide. For the management of emotional triggers Planet Ayurveda provides herbal remedies and these are prepared by following the strict Ayurveda principles and also under the guidance of expert Ayurveda practitioners. These herbal formulations are free from any kind of preservatives and chemicals.
Following are the herbal remedies
- Brahmi capsules
- Stress support
- calm easy capsules
1. Brahmi capsules
These are single herbal formulations. These are made from pure standard extracts of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). This is the best herb for enhancing memory. It helps in mental disorders by increasing coordination in between brain neurons. It nourishes the neurons and improves retention ability.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice a day after meal
2. Stress support
This is a poly herbal formulation. It is an effective stress reliever formula. Thisis a powerful combination of drugs to relieve stress without any side effects such as Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Tagar (Valeriana wallichii), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri).This product improves natural sleep. It is the best natural remedy for depression and insomnia.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice a day after meals
3. Calm easy capsules
This is a safe herbal which is prepared using herbs named brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) along with some other herbs. It calms the mind as the main ingredient is brahmi which is a wonderful medhya (nervine tonic). It strengthens the mind and helps in numerous psychological disorders.
Dosage: 1 capsules twice a day after meals
We concluded that emotional triggers are well managed by Ayurvedic herbs and by altering some behavioural therapy. These herbs act as Medhya (Nervine tonic) and relieve the stress. Along with the management of emotional triggers, these herbal formulations are helpful in managing other neurological and psychological disorders also.