White hair is usually a part of the aging process, but even young people or teenagers may have an excess of white hair. The body has millions of hair follicles which are small sacs lining the skin. The follicles generate hair and color or pigment cells known as melanin. But over time, hair follicles lose pigment cells or no longer produce melanin which leads to a change in color of hair.
Causes of White Hair
There can be many causes of a person’s hair turning white.
- Certain Medical Conditions:Some medical conditions can trigger a loss of pigment in your hair. PGH is also triggered by an autoimmune disease like thyroid disease, premature aging syndromes, vitiligo, or pernicious anemia may increase a person’s risk for graying early.
- Vitamin and Mineral Deficiency:Any deficiencies of vitamin D, iron, folate, vitamin B6, B12 or vitamin E and selenium may cause the whitening of hair follicles or premature graying. Deficiencies of folic acid, copper and vitamin B12 with a lower level of biotin were found in people having premature graying of hair.
- Chemicals hair dyes and hair products:Hair dyes, hair products, and shampoos that are chemical-based may directly contribute to premature hair graying. Chemical-based these products contain harmful ingredients that decrease melanin and can cause some allergic reaction as well.
- Deficiency of Melanin:The lack of appropriate nutrition and protein causes melanin to fall below the standard acceptable levels. A deficiency of melanin is the major factor leading to hair whitening.
- Stress:Stress is a major spoiler for a lot of issues in the body. Stress is a major cause of whitening of hair or premature graying, and it gets worse when we have stressful or unhealthy life or a hectic lifestyle or an excess of eating junk food.
- Smoking:Smoking is one of the major causes of premature graying of hair in young men. Heavy smokers are four times more likely to have damages to hair follicle melanocytes, which leads to premature graying in comparison to non-smokers
- Genetic Trait:It is common to inherit a genetic trait from parent or grandparents who had graying hair or white hair at an early age.
- Hormones Imbalance:Hormones imbalances can trigger or increase premature whitening of hair
- Oxidative stress:Oxidative stress can cause overproduction of oxidants in the body.
Home Remedies of White Hair
Natural home remedies and alternatives to slow down hair-whitening without harming the body or causing further hair pigment damage.
1. Bhringaraj Leaves
Bhringaraj is a medicinal herb that helps in maintaining the natural color of hair and preventing premature greying of hair. It is available in the market.
How to use
Bhringaraj leaves boiled in 4 tsp of coconut oil and massaged into the hair. Apply 2-3 times a week.
2. Curry leaves
Curry leaves are natural hair toner and slow premature graying of hair. When combined with coconut oil and applied to the scalp area. It is easy to find out in your backyard.
How to use
Boil 5 to 7 curry leaves with 4 tsp of coconut oil. Once it cools, strain and massages it into the scalp and through the length of hair. Gently massage the hair and scalp and cover with a plastic cap and leave for 30 minutes or overnight. Rinse the hair thoroughly with shampoo.
3. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry is rich in vitamin C, antioxidants and anti-aging properties that revitalize pigment in hair follicles. The powder can be mixed with coconut oil and applied directly to the scalp. It is a natural way to reduce protein loss and improve hair health.
How to use
Boil 2 tsp Indian gooseberries powder with one cup of coconut oil to prepare an oil solution. Store this oil in a jar and gently massage the oil into the scalp and work it through the length of hair. Leave it for 30 minutes or you can leave the oil overnight. Wash off with mild shampoo. Apply 2-3 times a week.
4. Black Tea
Black tea is rich in antioxidant can help to prevent free radical damage to hair and premature graying. It also helps hair darker, shiner softer and relieve from stress.
How to use
Boil 3 to 4 tea bags or 2 tsp of black tea in a cup of water until it is well brewed. Once it is cool, strain the liquid and apply it to hair and scalp. Gently massage your scalp for a couple of minutes and wait for about a 1 hour, and then wash your hair with shampoo. Apply 2-3 times a week.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon is rich in vitamin C, which are antioxidants that can neutralize free radicals and prevent hair damage. It is available at home.
How to use
Mix lemon juice into 2 tsp of coconut oil and heat the mixture for a second until it is slightly warm. Gently massage this mixture into your scalp for a couple of minutes and leave it on for about 30 minutes. Wash your hair with a mild sulfate-free shampoo. Apply 2 times a week.
6. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are used as a wonderful natural home remedy for white hair. Fenugreek seeds contain compounds that can strengthen the hair follicle, improving hair strength and hair regrowth.
How to use
Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in 500 ml of water overnight. Then, grind the seeds with water to get a smooth paste. Apply this mixture to your hair and scalp area and leave it on for about one hour. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Apply 1-2 times a week.
7. Onion Juice and Olive Oil
Onion juice helps to reduce hair fall, hair regrowth and improving the health of hair.
How to use
Chop a medium-sized onion into small pieces and blend it with about a 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Apply this juice onto your scalp area and massage for about 15 minutes and leave it on for about 30 minutes. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Apply 2-3 times a week
8. Sesame Seed Oil and Coconut Oil
Sesame seed oil and coconut oil helps darken the color of your hair with regular use. It is available at home.
How to use
Mix sesame oil into 2 tsp of coconut oil and heat the mixture until it is slightly warm. Apply the oil to your scalp area and gently massage 15 minutes and cover with your hair with a hot towel and leave for 30 minutes. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Apply 2-3 times a week.
9. Hair Oiling
It is a wonderful natural remedy for premature hair greying. It also promotes hair growth and adds a natural shine to hair. Almond oil is a rich source of vitamin E that helps for dry, rough and frizzy hair. Onion juice and almond oil help to reduce hair fall and aid hair follicles to regrowth black hair. Olive oil is an emollient and conditions your hair. Black sesame is a good source of hair nourishing, also helps darken hair and skin color with regular use.
How to use
Mix all ingredients well. Onion juice + Black sesame (Kalonji) + Olive oil + Almond oil + fenugreek seeds (1 hrs). Apply the mixture to hair and scalp. Gently massage the hair and scalp and cover with a plastic cap and leave for 1 hour. Rinse the hair thoroughly with water. Apply two times a week.
10. Hair Shampoo
It is a natural way of covering grey hair and also works as a natural shampoo to moisturize dry and frizzy hair. It prevents premature greying hair to make it smooth, shiny and healthy. The most effective home-made shampoo is the mixture of reetha, shikakai and dry amla. Dry amla helps for nourishing hair follicles, hair strength, and dandruff. Reetha and shikakai are natural ingredients that promote hair growth by strengthening and nourishing hair follicles. It is easily available in the grocery shop.
How to use
- Soak Reetha, shikakai and dry amla it in 1 liter of water for 6-8 hours.
- Next day boils the mixture until it is reduced to half. Cool and strain.
- Sieve it and wash hair with this water.
- Apply 2-3 times a week.
Prevention of White Hair
White hair is a universal and widespread problem that occurs when hair follicle no longer produces melanin.
- Avoid chemical-based hair dyes, shampoo, chemical hair color contain ammonia, which is a bleaching agent and severely harms the hair in the long run.
- Hair can become white due to malnutrition and unhealthy lifestyle or eating junk food. Malnutrition is one of the most common causes of gray hair and premature hair.
- Hair grows from the roots, so the healthy hair growth lies in improving the health of the scalp and hair follicles. Protein is the building block of hair growth because of hair follicles are made of mostly protein.
- Eating natural foods are high in calcium, vitamin, iron, and minerals.
Lifestyle plays an important role in slowing down and reverses white hair. A healthy, well-balanced diet can help people maintain levels of hair growth and replacement.
- Vitamin C, B6, and B12 provide excellent nourishment for the scalp and hair growth with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially citrus fruits.
- Omega-3 and folic acid are important parts of healthy hair. A lot of toxins present in the body. It may lead to many health problems, including grey hair and premature hair. So, drink at least 10 to 12 glasses of water regularly to flush out these harmful toxins.
It has been concluded that the aging is a natural process of the body, having white hair is also one of the parts of this but the young population also gets affected by this condition due to their bad lifestyle and food habits. So, home remedies are the natural way to prevent yourself from having white hair. By using the above home remedies and modifications in lifestyle will help to prevent white hair.