Life has changed a bit fast in the last few decades as the technology developed and the mental or psychological behaviour and thinking pattern of people has changed. Many time a person cannot cope up with the what is happening around him, the life griefs, failures and circumstances etc. this can lead o a feeling of sadness, inadequacy, pessimism, despondency and even suicidal thoughts come up on the mind of a person. With these mental conditions a person lands in depression, which is a kind of mood disorder. This becomes important to help a person with these feelings. In the contemporary system of medicines, antidepressants are there to help the people with depression. Though side effects of the antidepressants are enormous. In the text below we shall look at depression treating medications and their side effects. We shall also consider what the natural and better alternatives available for antidepressants are. Let’s see some details!!
Depression is considered as one of the most common mental disorders all around the globe. The condition affects all kinds of people irrespective of their ethnicity, educational background, race or gender. Depression manifests as depressive mood, decreased energy, diturbed speed, loss of interest and pleasure, loss of appetite, feeling of self guilt, suicidal thoughts, poor concentration etc. Depression is a major cause of suicide. There are many reasons behind the depression disorder including society pressures, schooling, physical appearances, hopelessness, failures and defeats, negative thoughts etc. People with depression disorder need immediate care and treatment. There are drugs called antidepressants. There are a number of antidepressants available which elevate mood but have side effects too that cannot be ignored. Lets know some details about antidepressants!!!
Antidepressants are the drugs which elevate the mood in depression disorder. All antidepressants affect monoaminergic transmission in the brain. There are a number of antidepressants that have evolved with time that have assorted effects on reuptake or metabolism of biogenic amines.
Following is the classification of the antidepressants
Reversible inhibitors of MAO-A
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- NA + 5-HT reuptake inhibitors Imipramine
- B. Predominantly NA reuptake inhibitors
Serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
We shall look at some antidepressants in little detail
- Citalopram is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It is a preferred SSRI for mood disorders in premenstrual syndrome.
- Side effects include weakness, excessive tiredness, drowsiness, dry mouth, runny nose, sexual problems in men like erectile dysfunction, delayed or absent ejaculation, muscle pain, frequent urination, anorexia, insomnia, weight loss, constipation, abdominal pain etc.
- It is effective at half the dose of Citalopram. It has milder side effects than citalopram. It can promote feelings of well-being.
- Side effects can be lethargy, sexual problems, sweating, tremors, anorexia, dry mouth, constipation etc.
- It is a bicyclic compound and first SSRI and is the longest acting. It is used in patients with depression disorder and OCD. it takes longer to show its effect.
- Side effects include agitation, dermatological reactions, loss of appetite, strange dreams, low lobido, weakness, diarrhoea, dry mouth etc.
- Paroxetine does not produce any kind of active metabolite.
- Side effects include agitation, sexual distress, blurred vision, weakness, dry mouth, irritability, agitation, hyperactive, restlessness, skin rashes etc.
- It is used in depression as well as in anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. It produces longer lasting active metabolites.
- Side effects include drowsiness, dizziness, loss of appetite, nausea, increased sweating, diarrhoea, abdominal discomfort etc.
- It is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor and serotonin receptor agonist.
- Side effects of the drug can cause nausea, dizziness, sleep disturbances, vomiting, diarrhoea etc.
General side effects of antidepressants
- Feeling of being sick
- stomach ache
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of libido
- Erectile dysfunction
- Insonia or somnolence
- Dry mouth
- Blurring of vision
- Excessive sweating at night
- Muscle twitching
Better Natural Alternatives available to help with depression
Planet Ayurveda is an esteemed GMP certified, ISO 9001:2015 certified and US-FDA registered Ayurvedic Company, which adhered to the objective of manufacturing quality Ayurvedic formulations as mentioned in the different ancient texts of Ayurveda. Products are manufactured without additives and preservatives and other kinds of chemicals or artificial flavouring substances which cause many ill effects on the human body. Products prepared at Planet Ayurveda are pure and devoid of any kind of adulteration. Planet Ayurveda presents its Depression Care Pack which is purely natural and dostr have any side effects.
Depression Care Pack includes the following products
- Medhya Churna
- Gotu Kola Capsules
- Memory Support
- Stress Support
1. Medhya Churna
Medhya means the property that increases and promotes the grasping power, intelligence and intellect. Thus, Medhya Churna provides all the things that the brain needs. It contain various herbs including vacha (Acorus calamus), ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), shwet jeeraka (Cuminum cyminum), ajmoda (Carum roxburghianum), krishna jeeraka (Carum carvi), sonth (Zingiber officinale), marich (Piper nigrum), pipli (Piper longum), patha (Cissampelos pareira), shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) etc. all the herb calms the mind and helps in giving a better thinking and vision. Furthermore it elevates the mood. Therefore it is beneficial in Depression.
Dosage : 1/4 teaspoon once daily with 1 spoon of Cow Ghee (Clarified Butter).
2. Gotu Kola Capsules
Gotu Kola capsules are enriched with mind-relaxing and nervine tonic properties. It contains the standardised extract of the herb gotu kola (Centella asiatica). The herb is known as medhya and therefore helps in improving intellect and intelligence. In addition to this the capsules also channelise the thought in a positive way. Therefore Gotu Kola capsules are of great help in depression disorder.
Dosage : 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
3. Memory Support
As the name of the product suggests, Memory Support enhances memory. It contains brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), vacha (Acorus calamus) and shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis). All the herbs maintain a good mental well being. It boosts memory and enhances concentration which makes it an effective formulation for everyone. It is beneficial in people with Depression.
Dosage : 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals
4. Stress Support
Stress support is herbal capsules enriched with stress-relieving properties of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), tagar (Valeriana wallichi) and brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). All the herbs together relax the mind. Moreover Stress Support gives clearance to the mind. It enhances good sleep and provides the consumer a sharp and efficient mindset which makes it an effective formulation in overcoming Depression disorders and various mental disorders.
Dosage : 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
As we discussed, depression arises from the feeling of self blaming, failures, sadness, griefs, inadequacy and many more. Depression needs to be controlled as soon as possible because it affects the body and mind and expresses itself with various signs and symptoms. Antidepressants of the contemporary medicine system provide symptomatic relief in depression disorder but impacts the body and mind on other levels. Sometimes the side effects of the antidepressants can be fatal. Therefore it becomes mandatory to avoid using the modern antidepressants because of their various side effects and focus on the herbal antidepressants. Herbal antidepressants do not solely cure depression but also manage other mental conditions. This also helps in neurological and psychological problems. Planet Ayurveda’s Depression Care Pack provides excellent and promising results in treating Depression disorder.