The Bartholin’s Gland Cyst which is correlated with “Yonikanda” in Ayurvedic textbooks, is the swelling of the Bartholin gland’s duct that secretes the fluid into the vagina during the act of sexual intercourse, due to any blockage in its pathway. This blockage leads to the pooling of the secreted fluid in the gland leading to its swelling – known as “Cyst”, which if left untreated can take the shape of an abscess. This condition is known as Bartholin gland’s abscess. In such cases where modern medicine suggests antibiotics, marsupialization, incision and drainage, Ayurveda treats it without cutting through the skin via Gandhak Rasayana, Kanchnaar Guggul, Ashoka, Lodhra and Shatavari.
INTRODUCTION: BARTHOLIN’S GLAND CYST
The Bartholin’s glands are located on both sides of vaginal opening. Their size is of the pea. Their principal function is to provide lubrication during sexual intercourse. The colorless, mucoid fluid produced by them keeps the vagina moist and avoids friction during the coitus. The fluid is released in the vagina through ducts. If there is any blockage in the ducts, there is stasis of secretion that leads to dilatation of the gland and cyst formation which is known as “Bartholin’s Gland Cyst”. The cyst may catch the infection and take the form of an abscess. Mostly they are painless, benign and non-cancerous. In a few cases, they become tender making it difficult to walk or perform sex.
CAUSES: BARTHOLIN’S GLAND CYST
The main causes of Bartholin’s gland Cyst are the accumulation of fluid in the gland due to blockage of the duct. The blockage can be due to any injury or infection. The cyst can catch an infection and take the form of an abscess that might be possible due to sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
SYMPTOMS OF BARTHOLIN’S GLAND CYST
The Symptoms of Bartholin’s gland Cyst are as follows:
- A tender painful lump near the vaginal opening
- Discomfort while walking or sitting
- In extreme cases, the folds of labia majora hang lower than other
- Vaginal discharge
- Pain during sexual intercourse
WHO ARE MORE PRONE TO SUFFER?
Females who are more likely to have this infection are
- Young and sexually active females
- Those who have not yet become pregnant or just had one pregnancy
According to Ayurveda, Bartholin’s gland Cyst is correlated with “Yonikanda”. It has four types.
- Vataj Yonikanda can be equated with the early stage of Bartholin abscess, where the cyst will be a regular and more painful as compared to others.
- Pitta Yonikanda can be equated with an acute suppuration stage of the abscess, with a burning sensation.
- Kaphaj Yonikanda as its chronic stage, well defined-cyst with minimal pain but will be associated with Itching.
- Sannipataj Yonikanda as acute suppuration in a chronic abscess.
The treatment for the Bartholin cyst as per the modern medicinal system has many side-effects as well as the high chances of reoccurrence. On the alternate, Ayurveda provides the most beneficial herbs for treating the Bartholin Gland Cyst with no side-effects. Also, if one adds Panchkarma along with the herbal remedies, then there will be no chances of reoccurrence.
HERBAL TREATMENT FOR BARTHOLI’S GLAND CYST BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda offers potent and effective herbal remedies for the treatment of Bartholin’s gland Cyst which is prescribed as follows. All these herbal remedies are safe to use and are prepared with 100% natural herbs without using any kind of preservatives, chemicals or additives.
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Kanchnaar Guggul
- Female Health Support
- Planet Rose Soap
- Arjun Saar and Sphatika bhasma
HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS FOR BARTHOLIN’S GLAND CYST
1. GANDHAK RASAYAN
Rasayana means rejuvenator. Gandhak Rasayan is a preparation that rejuvenates the skin by detoxifying the toxins from the blood. It is an Ayurvedic medicine with a mineral base. It contains purified Sulphur. It is used as a broad-spectrum medicine as it has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial effects. Its antipyretic properties help in the elimination of swelling and pain.
Dosage – It is advised to take its two tablets twice daily with plain or lukewarm water.
2. KANCHNAAR GUGGUL
Kanchnaar is the first drug kept in the section of “Gandhamala Nashak drugs” that helps in treating lymphatic node swelling.
It is most commonly used in getting rid of swellings of all kinds. Its anti-microbial property makes it a drug of choice to remove urinary tract infections, where it reduces the swelling of the enlarged lymph nodes of the groin area thereby giving relief from painful urination. Kanchnaar in combination with guggul, which is also a detoxifier and anti-inflammatory, does wonder in treating cysts, swellings and abnormal growth of any kind.
Dosage – It is advised to take 2 tablets twice daily with plain or lukewarm water.
3. FEMALE HEALTH SUPPORT
It is an herbal formulation consisting of three female-friendly Ayurvedic herbs, Ashoka, Lodhra, and Shatavari. All these drugs are best for females’ reproductive system.
- Ashoka means “no grief” in Sanskrit. Since ages, it is used in treating genito-urinary conditions. The flavonoids, tannins, glycosides present in it provide anti-estrogenic, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lodhra means the one who heals the wounds. Its main property is being astringent in nature which makes it a drug of choice in conditions of bleeding or any discharge in the female genital tract. It works by constricting the vessels and reducing their inflammation.
- Shatavari is known as the Queen herb. It gives strength to the female reproductive system and helps in maintaining hormonal balance. It has diuretic, rejuvenating and tranquilizing properties.
Dosage – The mixture of these three drugs taken in the dosage of 1 to 2 capsules twice daily with plain water gives strength to the female reproductive system and helps in fighting its odds.
4. EVENING PRIME ROSE PREMIUM HANDMADE BATHING BAR
Washing the affected area with Planet Ayurveda Rose Soap helps in soothing the irritated and inflamed skin around the cyst. It hydrates the skin and maintains the local hygiene thereby prevents further infection of the cyst.
How to use – Gently apply the soap in wet skin and wash with water. It is recommended to use every day one or two times.
5. ARJUN SAAR AND SPHATIKA BHASMA MIX
The bark of Arjun holds urinary astringent, styptic, cooling and tonic properties. Its decoction along with Sphatika Bhasma, which too accommodates astringent and styptic properties aids the process of wound healing and normalization of local skin.
Dosage – It is to be used in the combination of Arjun Saar (3 spoons) mixed with Sphatika Bhasma (1/4 spoon) in 1 mug water. Rinsing the genital organs with this water after every urination helps in getting relief effectively.
Therefore, it is evident that the Ayurvedic treatment can give relief in such cases of cysts without undergoing any surgeries, also with no further complications or chances of reoccurrence.