Arthritis is a common disease nowadays. It refers to several diseases which affect the joints of the body. It is mostly found in old age people. Actually arthritis is of different types such as traumatic, metabolic, infectious, septic, congenital and many more. But the most common type of arthritis is senile arthritis which means arthritis due to aging. With growing age people are complaining about joint pain and restricted movement just because of arthritis. This is all due to the degenerative changes in the body. So in this article we will discuss about senile Arthritis or degenerative arthritis and its ayurvedic management with some diet and lifestyle modification.
Arthritis is a common disease characterized by the swelling, pain, stiffness and reduced movement of the joints. The symptoms of arthritis are on and off in nature. They aggravate on exertion. In advancing age the symptoms gradually increase and worsen with time resulting in inability to walk and day to day activities. These features can be mild, moderate or severe. It can affect one or multiple joints.
Changes in Joints in 60’s
In our joints there is a cushion in between the bones which forms joints. This cushion is known as synovial fluid. This fluid bears the pressure and maintains the normal movement of the joints and protects the joint from rubbing. As age is increasing this synovial fluid is decreasing and makes the movement of the joints restricted. There is gradually increasing stiffness and decreasing flexibility of the joints because the cushion or lubricating fluid inside the joints are reduced. The bone loses its density that leads to the osteoporosis which is characterized by weakening of the bones. This leads in increasing the tendency of fractures. So the most common cause of arthritis is decreasing or reducing the lubricating fluid between the joints. This process is known as degenerative changes.
Some of the Degenerative Joint Diseases are
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Ayurvedic View on Arthritis
As said by Acharya Vagbhatta that all diseases are due to mandagni (Rogah sarvepi mandagni). This mandagni means decreased digestive fire.
As mentioned in Ashtanga Hridaya 1
All diseases occured due to low digestive fire. As this decreased fire will result in the incomplete digestion of the food in the stomach and intestines which results in the improper nutrition to the Rasadi dhatus (Improper Nutrition to the bodily tissues). This will aggravate the Tridosha and the food which is left undigested is known as Aama (Endotoxins). This is Aama will cause several diseases.
In Ayurveda, it is said that in old age there is aggravation of Vata dosha. This vata dosha is responsible for various diseases. This Aama in old age transported in different places in the body by vata such as scapula, knee, elbow etc. This will hamper the normal functioning of the joints and causes arthritis and pain, stiffness, heaviness, redness in the joint area.
Now let’s just discuss some dietary changes
A person will face these degenerative changes in life with increasing age. But don’t worry, with some dietary changes and also some lifestyle modification we can prevent us from the severity of these degenerative disorders.
- Nuts and dry fruits: In our diet we have to add nuts and dry fruits in our daily These things are rich in vitamins and minerals and other nutrients to the body. Use almonds, resins, cashew nuts after soaking it in overnight and peeling off in the next morning. It provides strength to the joints.
- Limit added sugar intake: In arthritic patients, they have to limit their daily sugar intake. These added sugars are found in soda, candy, ice etc. These are harmful for the health of the individual. They increase the amount of Aama in our body. These added sugars are deposited in the joints area.
- Vegetables and fruits: Seasonal vegetables and seasonal fruits are rich in antioxidants. These act as natural bodyguards which defense the body from various ailments. They help in eliminating free radicals from the body. We have to eat only seasonal fruits and seasonal vegetables for a healthy
- Highly processed foods: For healthy life one must avoid junk foods which are highly processed These are very unhealthy diets. These items promote the deposition of Endotoxins and free radicals. This will enhance the degenerative process in early life too.
- Alcohol: Alcohol might worsen the arthritis symptoms. The person who is suffering from arthritis must avoid the intake of alcohol.
- Certain vegetable oils: Diets low in omega 3 fats are responsible for worsening the symptoms of arthritis. These fats are important for health but in a balanced If they are in an imbalanced ratio then they might cause the symptoms of arthritis. Use Olive oil and Mustard oil in cooking, as they are good for health.
- Weight reduction: First foremost thing to do is weight reduction. Obese person are at high risk for developing arthritis. Heavy weight fastens up the degeneration in the knee joint.
- Yoga practice: Yoga is very important in arthritis treatment. Regular practice of yoga decreases the symptoms of arthritis. Patient feels calm and relaxed. Do at least 15 minutes of yoga
- Quit smoking: This aggravates the symptoms of Arthritis.
- Water intake: Drink plenty of water.
Ayurvedic Herbs for the Health of Bones and Joints
There are several herbs for maintaining the health of the bones and joints. Some of herbs are beneficial for joints and bone function and those are:
- Hadjod (Cissus quadrangularis)
- Shuddha laksha (Purified form of Laccifer lacca)
- Shigru (Moringa oleifera)
- Curcumin (Curcuma longa)
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
Herbal Remedies for Arthritis
Planet Ayurveda also provides good herbal products for the treatment of various arthritis. Firstly let me tell you what is Planet Ayurveda?
It is a leading manufacturing company which manufactures the various herbal products. These products are made from the standardized extracts of the potential herbs and are 100% natural and free from any side effects. The products are made under the guidance of expert Ayurvedic doctors. This company provides the following herbal care pack for this disease such as Joint support pack, Rheumatoid arthritis care pack, Gout care pack etc.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
At last we concluded that the herbs in Ayurveda show beneficial effects in the treatment of arthritis. It gives relief from arthritis from its root cause. So by following the above mentioned herbs and Herbal Products We Can Delay the Degenerative Changes.
- Ashtanga Hridaya sutrasthana 13/25