Considered as the most common form of liver disease in children, Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease presents itself with weakness, fatigue, nausea and pain in the right side of the abdomen. With obesity and type 2 diabetes as the commonest causes of such disease, some Ayurvedic formulations prove to be of immense benefit to the suffering population of patients as it provides a wide range of natural herbal remedies for the treatment of the same. These formulations aim at increasing the overall functioning of the liver cells and also aid in detoxification of liver cells.
Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease is commonly caused by the build-up of fatty layers on the liver organ. If this disease manifests where more than 5-10% of the liver’s weight is fat then it is called as Fatty Liver (Steatosis).
- Therefore a more severe form of NAFL is NONALCOHOLIC STENOHEPATITIS (NASH).
- It affects people who drink little or no alcohol.
- This excess fat leads to liver inflammation and the build-up of scar tissue in the liver cells.
Etiology of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver
The chief causes for non-alcoholic fatty liver are enlisted as below:
- Increase in the number of fats in the blood.
- Development of Insulin Resistance.
Risk Factors of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver
- Obesity, Hypothyroidism
- Metabolic syndrome
- Increased levels of Cholesterol
- Diabetes (Type 2 especially)
- Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD)
Complications of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver
- Cirrhosis: The most common complication of NAFL is cirrhosis of the liver which occurs due to inflammation of liver cells and thereby produces scarring i.e. fibrosis of liver cells. This may result in diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting followed by abdominal swelling and pain along with other related symptoms.
- Ascites: It is characterized by fluid accumulation as a complication of the advanced stage of cirrhosis of the liver.
- Liver Cancer: Cirrhosis is one of the leading causes of primary liver cancer. It is the growth and spread of unhealthy cells in the liver organ itself.
- Liver Failure: It is the process where the organ liver fails to function properly.
- Oesophageal Varices: This is the most common manifestation of Liver diseases in which the veins in the esophagus which connects the throat to the stomach are enlarged. They also develop in cases where the normal blood flow to the liver organ is thereby obstructed by scar tissue or a clot. This clinical presentation is one of the most initial presentations of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. It is followed by variceal bleeding.
Symptoms of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver
- Spider-like blood vessels
- Abdominal pain
- Pain in the upper right side of the abdomen
- Mental confusion
- Edema of Legs
- Ascites (accumulation of fluid.)
- Enlarged liver or spleen (Hepatomegaly or Splenomegaly).
Diagnosis of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver
- Blood Tests: To diagnose increased levels of Liver enzymes.
- Ultrasonography (USG): To confirm Nonalcoholic Fatty liver disease.
- Liver Biopsy: It is done if the above tests are inconclusive.
How Can this Disease be Prevented?
- Requires a healthy balanced diet.
- Requires efforts to maintain a healthy weight according to height and age.
- Regular follow up of exercise regimen.
- Decrease the intake of alcohol or related beverages.
- Decrease the intake of medicines by following the doses regimen.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda as a whole provides a vivid variety of natural herbal Ayurvedic formulations that are easily available and 100% safe and free from any potential side effects. These Ayurvedic medicinal supplements help in the treatment of the diseased state like that of Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease bringing the symptoms back to normal if taken as per the dosages given as under :
Liver Care Pack
This effective Ayurvedic herbal remedy is advised as a natural herbal remedy for the treatment of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver disease.
- Yakrit Plihantak Churna
- Livoplan Syrup
- Liver Detox Formula
1. Yakrit Plihantak Churna
This is a herbal powder made from the wonderful herbs like Bhumiamla (Phyllanthus niruri), Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa), Makoy (Solanum indicum), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Kaasni (Cichorium intybus), Sharpunkha (Tephrosia purpurea) and Bhringraj (Eclipta alba). This is very useful in all the liver anomalies. This herbal powder helps in the treatment of liver cirrhosis, fatty liver, spleenomegaly, hepatitis B, etc.
Dosage: 1 teaspoonful twice a day before meals with warm water or decoction method.
2. Livoplan Syrup
This is a herbal syrup that contains herbs such as Bhringraj (Eclipta alba), Sharpunkha (Tephrosia purpurea), Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Shyonak (Oroxylum indicum), Rohitaka (Tecomella undulata), Bhumiamla (Phyllanthus niruri), Patol (Trichosanthes diocia), Kasni (Cichorium intybus), etc. These herbs regenerate the liver cells and protect the liver from toxins. It eliminates the toxins from the liver and provides a healthy liver function.
Dosage: 2 tsp twice a day after meals.
3. Liver Detox Formula
Dosage: 1 capsule twice a day after meals with warm water.