Cervical Dystonia is characterized by long-lasting, means chronic sustained, involuntary repetitive contractions spasm of the neck muscle movement. Cervical Dystonia is also called spasmodic torticollis, the cause is unknown, but in some people, spasmodic torticollis is caused by a genetic mutation and stress and emotional problems can make spasmodic torticollis worse.
The cause of cervical dystonia usually is unknown but mostly arise due to involuntary muscles, contraction of the spine, head posture, neck spasm, and craniocervical pain. Cervical dystonia can be present at birth, if it occurs later, caused by various neurologic disorders. It can also be the result of drugs that block dopamine such as haloperidol and antipsychotic drugs. This problem has a significant negative impact on the quality of life of the people.
What are the Different Forms of Cervical Dystonia?
- Torticollis: Is the most common form, in which chin and nose rotate to one side. The muscles involved are splenius capitis, trapezius and levator scapulae on the same side and the sternocleidomastoid on the opposite side.
- Laterocollis: Is the second most common form, in which the head is pulled to one side and down to the shoulder. In this type, the individual has difficulty in maintaining the head in a central position.
- Anterocollis: People are having problems swallowing, speaking, socializing and vision.
- Retrocollis: The muscles usually involved are the extensors, causes head pulled back towards the spine. Vision may be affected in this form.
Symptoms of Cervical Dystonia
The symptoms begin gradually, rarely begin suddenly. Its prevalence is about the age group 30s to 50s. The spasmodic pain worsens slowly in 1 to 5 years. The common symptoms are:
- Spasmodic pain in the neck muscles
- Swollen neck muscles
- Numbness and tingling
- Chin and ear move towards the shoulder
- Involuntary movement of neck muscles
- Restricting movement of head, neck, and shoulders
Causes of Cervical Dystonia
The cause is usually associated with injury on the head, neck, and shoulder.
- It can also be a family history with this disorder.
- Exposure to carbon mono oxide
- Exposure to certain drugs.
There are several factors that cause Cervical Dystonia.
- Age Group: Commonly affects people after the age 30s to 50s.
- Family History: People have a greater risk of this problem if one of the family members is suffering from Cervical Dystonia.
- Sex: Women are at greater risk of developing this problem than men.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Cervical Dystonia
Treatment is based on the signs and symptoms of the disease, which focuses on relieving the pain. Although there is no cure for cervical dystonia in modern medicine. Modern medicine has numerous bad effects on health, which deteriorate the body further. But, Ayurvedic treatment is potent enough to treat the problem with herbal remedies, without causing any side effects. Herbs used in these herbal remedies combat with the problem of cervical dystonia.
Herbal Remedies for Cervical Dystonia by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers amazing herbs, which have numerous solutions to eradicate this problem permanently. According to Ayurveda, Cervical Dystonia occurs due to vitiated Vata in the body. Planet Ayurveda, ‘A house of natural herbal supplements’ gives wonderful herbal remedies, are Boswellia-Curcumin, Yograj Guggul and Aamvatantak Churna, Gilloy and Punarnava Mandoor. This combo set of these five herbal remedies is an amazing remedy in relieving the pain from the roots.
1. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia Curcumin is the wonderful remedy from the house of Planet Ayurveda, it comprises of two natural herbs such as Shallaki as Curcumin. Boswellia Curcumin supports joint and bone health and combats the effect of all types of spondylitis too. Its Curcumin compound has antibiotic property, prevents infections and also reduces swelling because of its anti-inflammatory property. Overall it is a very beneficial herb to reduce its effect on Cervical Dystonia.
2. Yograaj Guggul
It supports healthy muscles and joints. Guggul has a very powerful anti-inflammatory property. Yograaj is considered a useful herbal remedy for Cervical Dystonia. Yograaj guggul is prepared from an amazing blend of herbs:
- Commiphora Mukul
- Cyperus rotundus
- Plumbago zeylanica
- Emblica officinalis
- Terminalia bellirica
- Terminalia chebula
- Piper longum
- Carum copticum
- Embelia ribes
- Tribulus terrestri
- Nigella sativa
- Trachyspermum roxburghianum
- Cuminum cyminum
- Piper cubeba
- Elettaria cardamomum
- Pluchea lanceolata
- Rock salt
- Coriandrum sativum
- Zingiber officinale
- Piper nigrum
- Cinnamomum zeylanica
- Vetiveria zizanioides
- Abies webbiana
- Cinnamomum tamala
All herbs are very powerful, unique and have anti-inflammatory properties. Yograaj guggul acts as a natural pain killer. Guggul balances the vitiated Vata energy in the body. Thus this herb proves its effect on Cervical Dystonia.
3. Giloy Capsules
Tinospora cordifolia herb is used to prepare Giloy capsules. These help to maintain various health ailments. It supports a healthy immune system by fighting with infections. These capsules are pure and natural in nature.
4. Punarnava Mandoor
Punarnava helps to maintain water balance in the body by eliminating toxins. These tablets act as a diuretic. These are prepared by various herbs:
- Boerhaavia diffusa (Punarnava)
- Zingiber officinale (Shaunti)
- Piper longum (Pippali)
- Piper nigrum (Maricha)
- Emblica Officinalis (Amalaki)
- Terminalia chebula (Haritaki)
- Piper Chaba (Chavya)
- Curcuma longa (Haridra)
- Embelia ribes (Vidanga)
- Plumbago zeylanica (Chitrak Mool)
- Ferric oxide calx (Mandoor Bhasma)
5. Aamvantak Churna
In any disease, Ayurveda says some Ama (toxins) create the disease, so this churna helps to eliminate the Ama; toxins from the body and pacify vitiated Vata energy.
- Withania somnifera: Ashwagandha acts as an effective anti-inflammatory herb and increases stamina in the body.
- Trigonella foenum-graecum: Commonly called Methi, is used to reduce ‘Vata’ and reduces inflammation
- Colchicum autumnale
- Rice Field Weed: Gorakhmundi is beneficial to maintain uric acid levels.
- Curcuma longa: Haridra, acts as an Analgesic, Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant and Immunity booster. Curcuma longa reduces pain, tenderness, inflammation of the joints and relieved with cervical dystonia.
- Zingiber Officinale: It is well known as ‘Dry Ginger’. It is used in Indian kitchen as a herb and has a detoxifying agent in it. It is an anti-inflammatory herb as well as acts as a potent pain killer.
Thus above mentioned five herbal remedies that, cure the symptoms associated with cervical dystonia and eradicate all the problems from the roots, in the body.