Oxygen is the basic need of Human body. Each and every cell in the human body requires an adequate amount of oxygen for proper functioning and living. The task of taking oxygen from the environment and transferring it to the bloodstream is done by the lungs. Lungs comprises the lung parenchyma that include pulmonary alveoli (basic functional unit of lung), alveolar duct and respiratory bronchioles and some other structures which are involved in gas exchange. Due to environmental factors (increasing air pollution, smoking, bacterial/viral infection) or genetic inheritance, many parenchymal lung diseases are common these days. One of these Diffuse Parenchymal Lung Disease (DPLDS) is “Sarcoidosis”.
Let’s discuss this disease in detail and its possible treatment/line of management according to Ayurveda.
The collection of macrophages in response to chronic inflammation is known as granuloma. It occurs due to the detachment of foreign substances by the immune system. Collection of abnormal inflammatory cells which may lead to formation of lumps known as granuloma. Sarcoidosis is an autoimmune disorder which is mainly characterized by non-necrotizing granulomas. Sarcoidosis is a granulomatous DPLDS which may present with multisystem involvement. But as over 90% of the cases have lung involvement so Sarcoidosis is considered with other DPLDS. Other than lungs, these types of granulomas may be present in lymph nodes within the chest cavity or sites such as liver, spleen, eyes and skin.
Clinical features of Sarcoidosis depend on the affected organ. The general symptoms of this condition are fever, fatigue, weight loss, swelling of lymph nodes.
Respiratory Symptom(When Only Lung Is Involved)
- Breathlessness on exertion
- Chest pain
- Auscultation (Unremarkable)
- Fibrosis (present in 20% cases of pulmonary Sarcoidosis) can cause loss of lung function in affected parts.
- Infiltrates in chest X-ray.
It may include,
- Erythema Nodosum–It is an inflammatory disorder and it is mainly caused by bacterial, fungal and viral infection. Some symptoms of Erythema Nodosum include pain in joints, fever, and painful bumps.
- Nasal cutaneous sarcoid lesions (lupus pernio)–In lupus pernio, purplish red hardened lesions over the ear, lips, cheeks and nose are observed.
- Lacrimal gland enlargement
- Parotid gland enlargement
- Sicca syndrome
- Cranial nerve palsy
- Bilateral hilar lymphadenopathy
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Renal stones
- Interstitial lung disease
- Granulomatous liver disease
- Phalangeal bone cyst
- Skin plaques and nodules
- Mononeuritis multiplex
This disease is present with an unknown etiology means it has no exact cause
Some Risk Factors/Facts About Sarcoidosis
- More often seen in colder parts of Europe. West Indians or Asian background are more prone and more affected than Eskimos arbs and Chinese.
- Sarcoidosis is considered an Autoimmune disorder i.e. the body’s immune system responding to external unknown substances may lead to Sarcoidosis.
- Researchers showed that external agents such as chemical, dust, infectious agent and the body’s own abnormal reaction to self-proteins can lead to granuloma (tiny collection of inflammatory cells) in genetically predisposed people.
- May is thought to be involved in some infectious agents due to its tendency to manifest during summer and spring. The common speculation of agents include mycobacterium and viruses but the exact cause is still elusive
- Genetic involvement is observed and the HLA-2 allele is considered as protection from susceptibility to the condition.
- Smokers are less affected by Sarcoidosis as compared to other lung diseases.
Investigations And Diagnosis
Chest x-ray Investigation
On the basis of chest x-ray changes in Sarcoidosis, the disease is divided into four stages,
- Bilateral hilar lymphadenopathy (symmetrical) paratracheal nodes enlarged. This stage is mostly asymptomatic but may present in association with arthralgia (joint pain) and erythema Nodosum. Mostly resolve within 1 year.
- Bilateral hilar lymphadenopathy with parenchymal infiltrates, common presentation of patients include cough or shortness of breath. Majority of cases may resolve impulsively.
- Parenchymal infiltrates without Bilateral Hilar lymphadenopathy may not resolve the condition spontaneously.
- Pulmonary fibrosis can lead to life threatening complications.
Blood investigation may show,
- Lymphopenia decreases lymphocytes in blood.
- Hypocalcaemia and Hypercalciuria, serum angiotensin converting enzymes may be present. It is a nonspecific marker.
- Bronchoscopy may present a “cobblestone” appearance of mucosa.
- Bronchial biopsy may show non-caseating granulomas.
- The occurrence of bilateral hilar lymphadenopathy on chest x-ray with erythema Nodosum is sufficient for a diagnosis or a typical characteristic high resolution CT scan of the chest may also confirm the diagnosis.
Untreated conditions may lead to complications such as
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Ventilatory failure
रोगाः सर्वेअपि मंदाग्नि जायते। (अष्टांग हृदय)
As per Ayurveda, Mandagni is considered the basic cause of various disorders. When a person starts taking a contaminated diet and unhealthy lifestyle it will lead to Mandagni which will result in Ama (Endotoxins) formation that is considered as endotoxins that affect the metabolism of tissue at cellular level. When these toxins travel to long tissue through the bloodstream can cause disturbance in normal metabolism and thus affect the normal functioning of lung parenchymal tissue and is responsible for diseases like Sarcoidosis.
Also, when these endotoxins (Ama) move to different body organs manifesting different symptoms listed above.
Modern medicine has no treatment method available for Sarcoidosis. Ayurveda focuses on treating the cause of the disease rather than just doing symptomatic treatment like other conventional systems. The basic cause as discussed above is Ama and as mainly the Sarcoidosis symptoms are manifested when the toxins are reached at a cellular level. There are three types of treatment methods mentioned for Ama i.e. Langhan, Pachan, Dosha Avsechan. In this case the Doshavsechan i.e. purification method is necessary for the patients as the disease involves cellular level deformity. Detoxification procedures such as Vaman (Therapeutic emesis) and virechana (therapeutic purgation) are advised. But the choice of procedure for detoxification is shodhana Basti (Therapeutic anemia).
Kaya Basti is highly recommended. After complete detoxification of the body at cellular level the other herbal medication as mentioned in Ayurvedic text can be administered that can prove two times more painful after detoxification.
Herbal Medicines Provided By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides herbal products that contains 100% natural products i.e. “Sarco Care pack” that supports the healthy digestive system and maintains metabolism. All the herbs used in the formulation of this product are explained in ancient Ayurveda texts. This product is also free from preservatives, binders, colors etc.
Herbal Formulations For Sarcoidosis
- Punarnava Mandur
- Curcumin Capsules
- Aller-G Care Capsules
- Kanchnaar Guggul
Description Of Herbal Drugs
1. Punarnava Mandur
Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa) mandur is the combination of different kinds of herbs i.e. Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Chavya (Piper Chava), Maricha (Piper nigrum) etc. Punarnava mandur is antitoxic and is used to remove the toxins from the body. It is one of the best herbal formulations which is used in the treatment of Sarcoidosis.
Dosage: 2 tablets, two times per day, with plain water after meals
2. Curcumin Capsules
Curcumin is the main active ingredient of Curcuma longa (turmeric). Curcumin regulates cell proliferation which results in reduction of swelling and inflammation. Thus Curcumin plays an important role in maintaining a healthy body.
Dosage: 2 Capsules, Twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Aller-G Care Capsules
Aller G care capsules are made up of various herbal medicaments i.e. Neem (Azadirachta Indica), Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera), Shirish (Albizia lebbeck), and Haridra (Curcuma longa). It helps to lower down the symptoms of Sarcoidosis i.e. Dry cough, Chest pain.
Dosage: 2 tablets, two times per day, with plain water after meals.
4. Kanchnaar Guggul
Two main constituents of Kanchnaar Guggul i.e. Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata), Guggul (Commiphora Mukul). Other ingredients are Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula), Amlaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellerica) etc. It is used to reduce cell proliferation and cell division.
Dosage: 2 tablets, three times per day, with plain water after meals.
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
In this article we discussed that there is no treatment of Sarcoidosis in modern medicine. Only NSAIDS (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and Corticosteroids are prescribed that result in immune suppression and various other side effects. In Ayurveda, herbal medications are prescribed that are 100% natural and safe. These herbal remedies target the main cause of Sarcoidosis.