Frozen shoulder is described as inflammatory contracture of the rotator interval, ligaments and capsule. People with this condition experiences sudden pain in shoulders. Symptoms usually varies from passive to active range of motion restriction which mostly ends up in total abduction of the shoulder. This condition can be managed with change in lifestyle and natural treatment.
Frozen shoulder which is also known Adhesive capsulitis, is a common condition which causes persistent pain and shoulder stiffens during movement. This is an inflammatory condition which causes fibrosis of glenohumeral joint capsule and significant restriction of external rotation. It commonly affects people of age 40 to 60 year and is more prevalent in women than in men. It may be unilateral or bilateral.
Causes of Frozen Shoulder
The exact cause is unknown but some of the condition can trigger this condition-
- Any shoulder injury can lead to a frozen shoulder
- Bursitis –fluid filled sac that cushions an area of friction between tissues, such as tendon and bone
- Rotator cuff syndrome –It is a group of four tendons and the most common causes of shoulder pain. Radiology testing confirm rotator cuff diseases.
- Risk factor of diabetes.
- Chronic inflammatory arthritis of the shoulder
- Sometime after breast and chest surgery
- Long term immobility of the shoulder
- Parkinson’s diseases
Symptoms of Frozen Shoulder
- Frozen shoulder most common symptoms pain and stiffness. Due to pain and stiffness that make it difficult or impossible to move it.
- Sleep disturb due to pain
- Frozen shoulder develop slowly in three stages;
- Freezing stage (Stage 1); Pain during movement. It worse over time and hurt more at night.
- This stage can last from 6 to 9 months.
- Frozen stage (Stage 2); Shoulder becomes stiffer and its movement becomes more difficult in this stage.
- This stage can last 4 to 12 months.
- Thawing stage (Stage 3); Range of motion starts to go back to normal. This last for 6 months to 2 years.
Risk Factors Involved in Frozen Shoulder
- Diabetes: Due to diabetes frozen shoulder, and symptoms may bemore severe.
- Thyroid: people with thyroid (hyper/hypo) disorder.
- Surgery or an arm fracture can lead to immobility which causes stiffness of shoulder during its recovery.
How to Diagnosis of Frozen Shoulder?
See your doctor, if you feel pain, stiffness, & enable to move your shoulder. A physical examination is done by a doctor. Your doctor will observe as measure range of motion and perform specific movement of the shoulder, touching your opposite shoulder with your hand.
To diagnosis frozen shoulder doctor may also advise imaging test:
- X- ray
To rule out other problem like Arthritis, Rotator cuff syndrome, that can also cause pain and limit how far it move.
Ayurvedic Aspect of Frozen Shoulder
In Ayurveda frozen shoulder known as “Apabahuka”. It is considered to be an urdhvajatrugata vata vikara. Apabahuka represent dysfunction of bahu (pain and stiffness in shoulder).Ashtangahridayam and Sushruta describe apabahuka under vata vyadhi adhikara.According to Ayurveda, causes of apabahuka are excessive intake of cold, dry, light diet. Mental factors such as anger and grief.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Frozen Shoulder by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is offering a pack for frozen shoulder i.e. “Frozen Shoulder Pack”. The pack consists of herbal remedies which are a natural formulation, free from chemicals, additives, colors, filers, yeast etc. This herbal pack maintains healthy body functions. In frozen shoulder, these herbal formulation help to get relief from pain and stiffness.
1. Boswellia Curcumin
The formulation of these amazing capsules consist of two widely known herbs Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa). Both the herbs have anti – inflammatory and antioxidant properties. The medicinal value is due to the presence of Boswellica acid in shallaki and curcuminoids in curcumin. These ingredients are extremely helpful in managing the potential complications associated with frozen shoulder. The use of these capsules are beneficial in boosting the immune system, supporting healthy functioning of joints, increasing blood supply to joint tissue, enhancing the biochemical structure of cartilage, and keeping thecardiovascular system healthy.
Dosage– 2 capsules should be taken with plain water, two times a day, after meals.
2. Joint Aid Plus
Joint aid plus contains standardized extract of Nirgundi (Vitexnegundo), Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Sonth (Zingiber officianale), and Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). Besides this, it acts as a great source of dietary nutrition for the bones and joints in the body. Hence, it is effective formula for frozen shoulder.
Dosage– 2 capsules should be taken with plain water, two times a day, after meals.
3. Aamvatantak Churna
It is 100% natural product that consist of different herbs like- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Methi(Trigonellafoenum-graecum), Haridra(Curcuma longa), Suranjan(Colchicum autumnale), Gorkhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus) and Sonth (Zingiber officianale). All the herbs are mixed which have different constituents has different properties like anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antioxidant that provides relief from like pain and swelling.
Dosage– 1 teaspoon twice in a day with lukewarm water should be taken half an hour after meals.
4. Orthovita Oil
This herbal oil helps to support healthy bones, joints, muscles supports overall body strength and physical features. It is purely natural formula. The oil is absolutely free from chemicals, extra colors, additives, fillers and yeast etc. It is very effective in case of frozen shoulder. Orthovita oil removes stiffness, pain in shoulder and relaxes shoulder joint and muscles.
Dosage– Massage should be done locally with the oil for 10 to 15 minute twice a day.
5. Yograj Guggul
It is a tablet which consist of ingredients are ShudhGuggulu(Commiphora mukul),Chitraka(Plumbago zeylanica),Jeeraka(Cuminumcyminum),Pippali(Piper longum),Amalaki(Emblica officinalis),Ela(Elettaria cardamomum), Mustaka(Cyperus rotundus), Ardraka (Zingiber officianale) and Haritaiki (Terminalia chebula).The herbs used in formulation of these tablets are anti-inflammatory in nature and helps in reducing pain. These tablets maintain overall symptoms associated with frozen shoulder.
Dosage– 2 tablets to be taken twice daily with lukewarm water.
6. Anu Tailam
Anu tailam is a polyherbal ayurvedic formulation by Planet Ayurveda in oil form used in panchakarma (Nasya Karma). This herbal oil formulation is used in the management of various diseases related to the deformities of the brain, head, eyes, nose, ears, neck, etc. the main composition of this herbal formulation is Chandana (Santalum album), Aguru (Aquilaria agalocha), Patra (Cinnamomum Tamala), The bark of Darvi (Sida cordifolia), Prapaundarika (Nymphaea lotus), Sookshma Ela(Elettaria cardamomum), Vidannga (Emblica ribes), Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Utpala (Nymphaea alba), Hrivera (Pavonia adorata), Abhaya (Terminalia chebula), Usheera (Vetiveria zizanioides)Vanya (Cyperus tenuiflours), Tvak (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), Musta (Cyperus rotundus) Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus), Shalparni (Desmodium gangeticum), Jeevanti (Leptadenia reticulata), Prishnaparni (Uraria picta), Devadaru (Cedrus deodara) and many other important herbs and lastly the Goat’s milk. This herbal formulation can be used on a daily basis, including oil massage, bathing, exercise, etc, along with nasal drops usage with Anu tailam. This formulation improves the memory of the brain and also enhances the function of the eyes, ears, and nose.
Dosage – Two drops in each nostril at the time of sunrise every morning.
Lifestyle and Diet
- Fruits– red grapes, pineapples, berries, are anti- inflammatory properties
- Vegetables– broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, cress, and sweet potatoes are all loaded with antioxidants.
- Oily fish which contain high level of omega-3 fatty acids( 1,000 mg per day)
- Nuts, flax seeds
- Certain spices such as garlic, turmeric and ginger.
Simple fats & carbohydrates, such as saturated fats and fast foods to be avoided.
There are two types of exercises for frozen shoulder:
- Stretching Exercise- Pendulum stretch, towel stretch, finger walk, cross-body reach, armpit stretch.
- Strengthening Exercise- Outward rotation, inward rotation.
Yoga & Asana
- Try cold or heat: Try an ice pack to the shoulder for 15 minutes, several times daily, or else apply a hot compressor or heating pad for 15 minutes daily.
- Support shoulder: Sleep times use two pillows- one is for your head, the other is to go between your elbow and your body so that your arm is held slightly away from your body.
- Oil massage on affected joint to increase blood circulation to the area.