About Thyroid Gland
Thyroid is one of the glands, which is a small butterfly shaped organ that controls metabolism of our body. It releases two important hormones into the blood stream like triiodothyronine (T3) and Thyroxine (T4), which regulates the metabolism. Level of the T3 and T4 released in our blood stream leads to two disorders-
- Hypothyroidism- It’s a disorder of endocrine system which occurs when there is low level of thyroid hormones.
- Hyperthyroidism- this endocrine disorder occurs when there is excess of T3 and T4 hormones.
Hypothyroidism is also termed as underactive thyroid disease, which has become a common problem among people in the present times. It is caused when the production of thyroid hormones decreases, which is regulated by the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). TSH is mainly responsible for balancing the level of thyroid hormones released in the blood stream.
You need to consult a doctor when you notice the following symptoms:
Hypothyroidism Signs and Symptoms may Include-
- Elevated blood cholesterol level
- Sudden weight gain
- Stiffness, pain or swelling in joints
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Tenderness, stiffness, weakness and pain in muscles
- Digestive disorders like constipation
- Sensitivity for cold
- Hair fall and thinning of hairs
- Slowed heart rate
- Puffy face
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism in children and teenagers are same as in adults, but other than that they may experience-
- Slow mental growth
- Slow growth and development
- Hoarse crying
- Protruding large tongue
Causes Of Hypothyroidism
The major cause for the hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease, which is known as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Thyroiditis is a result of inflammation of thyroid gland. Other causes of the hypothyroidism are listed below-
- Severe iodine deficiency
- Radiation therapies
- Thyroid surgery
- Certain medications and their side effects
- Pituitary or hypothalamus disease
Diagnosis Of Hypothyrodism
Based on the symptoms of underactive thyroid it can be confirmed by the results of blood tests that measure the TSH and thyroxine level in blood. Low level of thyroxine and high level of TSH confirms the hypothyroidism.
Natural Diet Tips For Hypothyrodism
Ayurveda being the oldest medical system in world and have always justified the Vedic wisdom. According to Ayurveda, there are three doshas (Tridosha) which are responsible for the balance of body are Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Thyroid is considered to have a link to “Agni”. In case of hypothyroidism the Agni or metabolic fire is too low, which is a result of unbalancing of two doshas ie.Vata dosha and Pitta dosha? Natural and effective diet tips for curing hypothyroidism are as follows-
Treatment by herbs- in order to reduce the level of thyroxine naturally following remedies can be used for treatment-
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) – The term Ashwagandha is derived from the Sanskrit word “ashva’ which means horse and “gandha” means smell. Ashwagandha helps in stimulating thyroid hormone levels without any side effects.
- Purnarava (Boerhaaviadifusa) – It is also known as horse purslane, red hogweed and spreading hogweed. The term purnarava means reviving the body. Being a rich source of protein, calcium, vitamin C and sodium, it also acts as a diuretic which reduces the stiffness, swelling and numbness.
- Guggulu (Commiphora mukul) – It is very beneficial in increasing level of T4 and T3 in blood and helps in keeping thyroid gland healthy.
- According to Ayurvedic literatures, consuming plenty of milk helps in preventing disorder of thyroid glands.
- Consuming diet rich in iodine such as fish, shell fish, bananas, vegetables like potatoes, beetroot, radish and asparagus.
- Sources which contain goitrogens, which blocks the iodine utilization in body, should be avoided like maize, sweet potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, turnip, soy products, pine and nuts etc.
- One should consume foods, which are rich in Vitamin B complex and Vitamin A.
- Affected person should not consume alcohol or smoking, this simultaneously decreases level of thyroid hormones.
Herbal Remedies For Hypothyroidism By Planet Ayurveda
Why only Planet Ayurveda?
The herbal formulations which are provided by Planet Ayurveda are free from all chemicals, preservatives, binders and other additives. These are 100% sterile and vegetarian. We offer best combinations of most effective herbal remedies for hypothyroidism, which are prepared by principles of Ayurveda. Some of the best recommended remedies are as follows-
1. Guggullipid capsules
These are formulated by the extracts of Guggul (Commiphora mukul), which is a byproduct of mukul tree. This is being used in Ayurveda since thousands of years, due to its tremendous effect in lowering cholesterol level in body. It is also helpful in reducing the symptoms of hypothyroidism and improves the functioning of thyroid gland.
2. Chandraprbaha Vati
Planet Ayurveda has prepared this using various ingredients like Shilajit (Asphaltum) and guggul (Commiphora mukul). Shilajit which is mixture of minerals and has been use since years in Ayurvedic It is beneficial in curing iron deficiency, fatigue and weakness. While on the other hand guggul helps in lowering cholesterol levels. This ultimate blend is very beneficial in balancing thyroid hormones and maintaining healthy body weight.
3. Hakam churna
This is an amazing Ayurvedic blend of various herbs which include Ajwain (Trachyspernumammi), which is also known as carom seeds, it plays a key role in digestion, Methi (Fenugreek), Chandershoor (Lepidium sativum) and Kalonji (Nigella sativa). These herbs in combination work like a miracle in reducing symptoms of hypothyroidism like by improving the circulation and digestion disorders.
4. Gotukola capsules
This is scientifically named as Centellaasiatica which is a very nutritionally important plants and traditionally used plant in foods and medicines. This product has been formulated using extract of the leaves of Gotukola plant. This is very beneficial in dealing with stress, fatigue and anxiety.
This product works unbelievably in treating constipation and blood circulation.
Preventive Measures For Hypothyroidism
- Consuming satisfactory levels of iodine, which plays a key role in balancing thyroid hormone levels in blood.
- Quit smoking as cigarettes possess thiocyanate, which damages thyroid gland.
- Avoid toxic exposures.
- Avoid food products that have gluten.
- Consume food products that contain selenium, which is important for functioning of thyroid.